1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Changing default navigation app for google now ?

So, I've had my Moto x for about 3 days now and I love the voiceless control feature. Mostly, I use it to launch navigation when I get into my car, and I love how I can navigate without fumbling with the phone while I drive and avoid dangerous situations. The problem is that I prefer to use Waze over google maps, and I haven't figured out how to get the phone to default to using Waze instead of google maps when i tell it to navigate somewhere. You can't even tell the phone to launch waze as an app because everytime I say "waze" the phone hears "ways" and does nothing. Has anyone found out how to change the default navigation app for google now ?

Default Re: Changing default navigation app for google now ?

say Navigate to "Some place" and when the navigation card show up click X and click the google maps icon on left and u have the options
    Fancy A Break From Your iPhone? Have an Android Kit Kat

Global Posts
    1,280 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

not sure this will work but go into menu>settings>apps> and clear the defaults for google maps and google navigation. The next time you start a navigation it should ask you if you want to use google navigation or some other navigation app you have loaded on your phone.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Yea, it doesn't work. I've reset app defaults, and sometimes when you navigate straight out of the google now cards, you can default it to waze. But if you just tell the phone to navigate it still launches the google maps navigator. As far as I can tell there isn't a way to make it default to anything other than the google maps navigator.

I need help with this as well.... I bumped the wrong button on the absurdly STUPID new default app setting window that Google implemented a few releases back and now my navigation - when using Google Now - is set to Chrome....

So, every time I say "Navigate to (insert destination)" it does a web search! I have cleared defaults in all the related apps - and, STILL can't find a way to clear Google Now's default setting!

Note: running Android 4.4 on my Nexus 5 - Google Now is NOT listed in my apps under Settings/Apps.

Any help would be appreciated.

Global Posts
    256 Global Posts

I have not figured it out either. I prefer Scout.

Posted via Android Central App

This has frustrated me so much that I've decided to use Utter for things like opening apps and most other Google now needs. It reacts much much better and has so many options. It actually understands the difference between ways and waze. If it doesn't, you can set it up to open waze by saying anything from ways to Abracadabra

Posted via my MotoX
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

By the way, I just want to update this thread: I believe that since the google now update, telling my phone to "navigate to ____" Now launches waze with the address already filled in, or whatever it is im searching for automatically searched for. You still have to confirm in waze, but you CAN now launch waze using google now. You still can't say "launch waze" -- it will still recognize "launch ways" and do a simple search, but if you tell it to navigate, it will launch waze if you have it set as a default. I'm not sure how this happened, only that I've noticed it since the google now update. I think if you do a search first and click on the navigation CARD in google now, it gives you the option to chose the app and this will set your navigation default, which changes what app launches when you tell it to navigate. I'm pretty sure it wasn't like this before. Anyways, with this change and now with the new changes to voiceless texting, I'm supper happy.
    Thanked by:
    myRT 

Global Posts
    256 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lucidlore View Post
    By the way, I just want to update this thread: I believe that since the google now update, telling my phone to "navigate to ____" Now launches waze with the address already filled in, or whatever it is im searching for automatically searched for. You still have to confirm in waze, but you CAN now launch waze using google now. You still can't say "launch waze" -- it will still recognize "launch ways" and do a simple search, but if you tell it to navigate, it will launch waze if you have it set as a default. I'm not sure how this happened, only that I've noticed it since the google now update. I think if you do a search first and click on the navigation CARD in google now, it gives you the option to chose the app and this will set your navigation default, which changes what app launches when you tell it to navigate. I'm pretty sure it wasn't like this before. Anyways, with this change and now with the new changes to voiceless texting, I'm supper happy.
    Just checked Google Now and when tapping the navigate and it did just that.

Posted via Android Central App

If you have a default application being launched and want to change it, go to Settings>Apps.
    Find the App that is being launched (so go to google maps), then scroll down past clear data, past clear cache, then you will see "clear defaults" under the "launched by default" section.
    Click "Clear defaults" and then the next time you have google now navigate, it should once again prompt you to choose a navigation application.

This works for any app that you have set as other defaults.