Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Default Re: Bad Idle drain

What's weird in all this is that for you, Chrome is the main culprit. But for me, location services is the main culprit. Chrome doesn't ping my battery much at all, but Google Services location wakelocks do. So although we have similar battery drain due to Google, it sounds like its for different purposes. Just strikes me as odd...

ROM
    Stock JB 4.1.2

I've disabled all location services and then charged to 100%. It seems to have slowed. I'll check back later with more info.

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3 now Free
    Last edited by msndrstood; 10-09-2013 at 05:14 PM.
    What?!...I'm msndrstood.

Sent via Note 2

You could manually sync chrome.

Posted via Android Central App

You can use Synker:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d.synker&hl=en

And Llama or Tasker to control what syncs and when a lot better than you can with auto sync. Llama seems to be the more battery friendly (and cheaper and apparently easier to use) of the two.

My experience is that the location based features and cards in Google Now are fairly battery intensive for the first couple of days but it levels off quite a bit after that. I have all of the Google Now cards enabled and all location reporting and history on. I installed Google Wallet and allowed its location features to work and after that it used quite a bit of battery. Even after turning them off in Wallet it continued so I cleared app caches for everything that seemed appropriate and uninstalled and re installed updates to whatever I could. After that the location of my phone was being checked every 42-45 seconds (I monitor it with Tasker) for the first couple days but then dropped to checking it every ~72-75 seconds without me changing anything and it made a pretty decent improvement on my battery life.

Bad Idle drain-screenshot_2013-10-09-20-24-12.png

I think I made it worse

Yesterday

Bad Idle drain-screenshot_2013-10-08-18-41-36.png
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bad Idle drain-screenshot_2013-10-08-23-56-50.png  

ROM
    Stock JB 4.1.2

Anybody tried activating App Ops? It gets pretty deep into the system without rooting for toggling things on and off.

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3
    What?!...I'm msndrstood.

Sent via Note 2

Global Posts
    7,555 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus(AOKP-jb_4.2.1)

Quote Originally Posted by davidnc View Post
    I really have no complaints about battery life.
    I have always had all the google syncs off.I have done that with all my previous android devices as well.
    I still have Google WiFi and mobile network check right now
    Im just trying to fiqure out why Android OS is always in the top of Settings>battery as you mentioned in the OP.Seems like Android OS was always in the second or third place in the battery stats .
    What I have been testing is in my settings>apps>google search I cleared out my cache and data. This bascially wipe out my Google cards I had stored. Then I touch the microphone on the Google bar>settings>and slid the slid bar Google Now off
    I can still say ok "Google now"> navigate to ........
    Whats the weather like ,Set alarm clock, etc and all that works. It seems as tho I just disabled my Google cards.
    Before I made this change the Android OS was at 12% then a little later was at 10% now its at 9%.
    I have been using my phone in the same normal manner I been using it and I think this is the first time I seen it in single digits.Its 4th in the settings>battery now.
    I am still testing my theory and will be all day tomorrow.
    I just starting testing like 30 minutes after globster2000 started this thread.Reading the OP is what made me decide to try this .
    Well after I tested out my theory I thought I fiqured a way to keep Android OS from the top of the list in the battery settings.When using the phone that would drop but when the phone was idle it would rise back to the top of list.

Either way my battery life was around 23 hrs-24 hrs .I was just wanting to get Android OS lower(trying to fiqure out why it is always near the top).
    I still have Google cards non active since I really dont need them and all else functions without them.So my setup is like the quote shown above.I not going to get OCD about the Android OS being at the top any more ,, since doesnt seem to affect my battery life . HA
    Last edited by davidnc; 10-10-2013 at 08:02 AM.

Global Posts
    7,555 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus(AOKP-jb_4.2.1)

How it shows currently

sent from Moto X
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bad Idle drain-uploadfromtaptalk1381410027505.jpg  

Seemed to have solved my issue, got rid of the Facebook app, even though all notifications and syncing was off, wakelock detector had it opening over 120 times in an 8 hour time frame, I now access it thru the browser instead of the app.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #35  

Quote Originally Posted by Ductman1 View Post
    Seemed to have solved my issue, got rid of the Facebook app, even though all notifications and syncing was off, wakelock detector had it opening over 120 times in an 8 hour time frame, I now access it thru the browser instead of the app.
    Bookmark Facebook and set as link on homescreen. It works without the battery drain

11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #36  

Quote Originally Posted by davidnc View Post
    Well after I tested out my theory I thought I fiqured a way to keep Android OS from the top of the list in the battery settings.When using the phone that would drop but when the phone was idle it would rise back to the top of list.

Either way my battery life was around 23 hrs-24 hrs .I was just wanting to get Android OS lower(trying to fiqure out why it is always near the top).
    I still have Google cards non active since I really dont need them and all else functions without them.So my setup is like the quote shown above.I not going to get OCD about the Android OS being at the top any more ,, since doesnt seem to affect my battery life . HA
    Do you have Facebook app? That sucker drains

Thanked by:

Global Posts
    7,555 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus(AOKP-jb_4.2.1)

Quote Originally Posted by globster2000 View Post
    Do you have Facebook app? That sucker drains

Nope I dont have that App.
    Also I know now, not to install it

looks like my Moto X needed some time to adjust to settings i changed yesterday

So far today i had about 40min of on board stored music, 5min phone call, few emails and txts, with total screen time of 30min

Bad Idle drain-screenshot_2013-10-10-15-16-27.png

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

Check out Klyph for a light weight Facebook app replacement. Does all I need it to do, looks better than the official app and won't run in the background if you don't need it to.

I like to leave Bluetooth on on my phone for convenience but I get almost another hour of screen on time with it off.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12