Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Default Re: Verizon OTA Soak Test

I had a Moto X but returned it last week because I was having call quality issues. I just got the Soak test email yesterday, and I'm kind of wishing I kept the Moto X now. If anyone here has had the same issue, let us know if the update fixes it.

Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4 (stock), JB 4.1

I'd be curious to know when someone who is rooted applies the update, and how that goes.
    BH, Certified Geekologist
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #28  

One theory I saw floating around that might have some validity to it is that since Verizon just started to turn on AWS LTE, maybe in addition to the regular bug fixes that other carriers got, Verizon could also have greenlit Motorola to enable the AWS LTE band in the radio? That could explain the delay and possible additional testing that went into this update?

Quote Originally Posted by dpw2atox View Post
    One theory I saw floating around that might have some validity to it is that since Verizon just started to turn on AWS LTE, maybe in addition to the regular bug fixes that other carriers got, Verizon could also have greenlit Motorola to enable the AWS LTE band in the radio? That could explain the delay and possible additional testing that went into this update?
    There's no delay. Verizon is always last. This sounds like someone's fantasy. No way AWS has anything to do with the Verizon Moto X update.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #30  

I wouldn't say Verizon is always last, I know my wife's Verizon SGS3 got 4.1.2 over a month before it was released on AT&T so sometimes they are worse than others. I also know that an OTA is required to enable band 4 on the X and considering Verizon literally just turned it on, the timing is a bit suspicious so I can see why someone might think this. Still we really won't know till the OTA is here and people can check it out.

The fact that it's soak testing at all is impressive to me. Moto is pushing it through.
    jephanie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dpw2atox View Post
    That's interesting. My take is they are probably more concerned about fixing some call quality and camera bugs with this OTA and holding out on flipping the AWS switch for now. Who knows.

Global Posts
    185 Global Posts

Got the email and filled it out about 10 minutes after it came....i'm blowing up the check for updates button lol. Hopefully they will release it soon. Every time I use the camera, I miss my s4 a little more.

To those involved in the soak test PLEASE provide input back to Verizon/Motorola for a way to completely disable the vibrate on touch feature. Unchecking this option in settings has no effect on vibration for active notifications which cannot be turned off. The vibration/rattle is at least for me ruining what is otherwise a fantastic phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Fk28 View Post
    To those involved in the soak test PLEASE provide input back to Verizon/Motorola for a way to completely disable the vibrate on touch feature. Unchecking this option in settings has no effect on vibration for active notifications which cannot be turned off. The vibration/rattle is at least for me ruining what is otherwise a fantastic phone.
    agree, the vibration on slide unlock is the only thing i hate about this phone. And i really hate it. Not sure they'll take it off though, they do it to most of their phones i think. ugh.

Global Posts
    6,705 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus(AOKP-jb_4.2.1)

Quote Originally Posted by paisley99 View Post
    agree, the vibration on slide unlock is the only thing i hate about this phone. And i really hate it. Not sure they'll take it off though, they do it to most of their phones i think. ugh.
    Have y'all tried to unticked this ......> settings>sound>scroll down to next to list in list and untick Vibrate on touch ?

Quote Originally Posted by davidnc View Post
    Have y'all tried to unticked this ......> settings>sound>scroll down to next to list in list and untick Vibrate on touch ?
    Isn't that what fk28 did and doesn't work?
    The vibrate is crazy rough and intense and loud. This is my only other hesitation about getting the phone if they fix voice. Although I know it can be softer because it was on at&t phones I tried. Maybe at&t had motorola dial it down?
    But anyway yes I have no need for touch feedback at all. I use it for my home back menu keys on my fascinate because it is so laggy now that I need the feedback to know it registered the keypress, but yet sometimes I still hit it twice because even the vibrate itself lags so long I give up waiting. Ugh I really want a faster phone already!

Quote Originally Posted by tomatosouplabs View Post
    Isn't that what fk28 did and doesn't work?
    The vibrate is crazy rough and intense and loud. This is my only other hesitation about getting the phone if they fix voice. Although I know it can be softer because it was on at&t phones I tried. Maybe at&t had motorola dial it down?
    But anyway yes I have no need for touch feedback at all. I use it for my home back menu keys on my fascinate because it is so laggy now that I need the feedback to know it registered the keypress, but yet sometimes I still hit it twice because even the vibrate itself lags so long I give up waiting. Ugh I really want a faster phone already!
    It worked for me for everything but the slide unlock. So go into settings and uncheck anything that says vibration or haptic. I think there are 2 dif settings that have it.

Global Posts
    6,705 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus(AOKP-jb_4.2.1)

I have no vibration on my phone at all ,I always turns those off just my preference.
    Another one for the keyboard is under : Settings>Lang.& input>Google Keyboard>Vibrate on Keypress.
    You can adjust the intensity for the keyboard by going into the keyboard settings and hitting advanced. It's the "keypress vibration duration" setting.I have mine on zero (slide the scale all the way to the left).I think the default setting was 6 not positive tho.
    The only way you can change the intensity is to move it before you untick the "Vibrate On Keypress"(settings>Lang&input>google keyboard>vibrate on keypress) in the regular setting or it will be grayed out.
    That may be overkill but its what I did.
    I dont use a lockscreen tho.
    Of course I do get a vibrate when I turn phone off or on I dont think you can turn that one off.
    Last edited by davidnc; 10-17-2013 at 01:13 PM. Reason: added stuff

I've turned off every vibration selection on the phone yet active notifications and the slide lock still vibrates. My point here is that there is no way to disable this and there should be. That's why I'm asking all the soak test folks to PLEASE input this to the folks at Verizon/Motorola to have this feature added. For such a fine phone I still can't believe that vibration on this thing is so bad. Mine may go back for this very reason.
    Thanked by:
    paisley99 and tomatosouplabs like this.

Getting back on track, I just received the soak invite, so they are still not ready to finalize and send the update out.

If it is a soak test, then it is finished. The soak is mainly to check out the OTA delivery & installation.

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by johnatthebar View Post
    I'd be curious to know when someone who is rooted applies the update, and how that goes.
    The pre-survey makes it quite clear that rooted users should not apply the update and that it will only work on stock phones.

Quote Originally Posted by nemov View Post
    The pre-survey makes it quite clear that rooted users should not apply the update and that it will only work on stock phones.
    In days gone by, yes...but now there are straightforward warnings to return the device to stock (and they can tell) with a comment that problems encountered will be 'prioritized' as to how much help is provided during the soak, though I've seen them take steps to re-push to help after the rooters have tried to 're-stockify' (attn Webster - new word).

Quote Originally Posted by scrounger View Post
    There is a good chance that you will not be in this test since people have been getting surveys and they only take the first 1000. But there will probably be others.
    Soak tests are OTA. If you get a download link, I would be wary of it. Soak tests only take a few days. Once it actually starts, you can expect everyone to start getting the update within a week unless something is really wrong.
    Here is some good news. I just signed up two days ago and got the invite tonight. w00t! So if you haven't already done so, I would suggest you sign up.
    Last edited by jephanie; 10-17-2013 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jephanie View Post
    Here is some good news. I just signed up two days ago and got the invite tonight. w00t! So if you haven't already done so, I would suggest you sign up.
    does anyone know of a way to do the soak and still keep the root on the vz moto x? thanks

Global Posts
    6,705 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus(AOKP-jb_4.2.1)

Quote Originally Posted by ericizzy1 View Post
    does anyone know of a way to do the soak and still keep the root on the vz moto x? thanks
    They dont want the Soak tested with a modified OS in anyway .That includes just rooting it.Actually if you was rooted and had modified the OS like removed bloatware ,etc it might just fail,might bootloop ya,or just cause you to loose root.

I dont recomend anyone to try the soak test while rooted its possible it could brick your phone.
    They just want you on a totally stock OS since you are testing and reporting in the forums.

I've turned off every vibration selection on the phone yet active notifications and the slide lock still vibrates. My point here is that there is no way to disable this and there should be. That's why I'm asking all the soak test folks to PLEASE input this to the folks at Verizon/Motorola to have this feature added. For such a fine phone I still can't believe that vibration on this thing is so bad. Mine may go back for this very reason.
    I guess it can't hurt to ask but there's no way they're going to include that in this update. Especially when every other carrier has pushed out this exact same update without that feature. It wouldn't make sense for only Verizon to only have it. Anyway, I guess bringing it to their attention might make it possible for inclusion on a future update.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #49  

This OTA is already done and unless there is any major last minute issues, your best bet is to try and post about it on the Motorola Forums and possibly on Google+ to a few Moto Employees in hopes that it will be fixed in the 4.3 OTA that "should" be coming in the next OTA a few weeks from now.
    Thanked by:

Has there been any activity with the soak test for anyone?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast