What is "Daydream"

Camilo

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I don't even know if this is a Moto X or android question! I am a complete smart phone newby (2 weeks post-flip phone!), although I've had an android wifi tablet for about 6 months. Love the phone by the way. It's a real nice looking and functioning phone with just enough simplicity to make it full functional for a newby, but just enough flexibility to appeal to the tinkerer in me. Frankly, for the functioning I use on both, the phone seems to work better, seems a little quicker/snappier than the Samsung Tab2 10.1 tablet.

Anyway, I'm gradually exploring settings and came across: Settings > Display > Daydream.

What I see is several options listed (Clock, BeanFlinger, Colors, Photo Frame, Photo Table), and along the bottom: "Start Now" and "When to Daydream".

"When to Daydream" in turn has "While docked" (which is checked on my phone) along with "While charging" and "Either".

So the simple question is What is Daydream? What does it do, why would you use it, etc.

Thanks!

Camilo

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Different than sleep? Do the notifications still show and does the automatic lock still happen when it's daydreaming?

Is it a Moto thing, or android?

Thanks

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
It's android. The alarm clock is pretty useful, but none I've seen let notifications through. On the moto x I can confirm that active notifications do not show through the clock or colors daydreams.

XT1060. Through spacetime.

Camilo

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all the responses so far.

So..... this is a screen saver type feature that only comes into play when the phone is on a dock, or charging (or both). And, among other things, you can set it to clock which in turn you can use for an alarm. [edit - that clock doesn't have an alarm, pretty much negating the alarm clock scenario below - will have to use airplane mode]

OK, I'm beginning to visualize this in "real life". So, I'm sleeping and charging my phone. I like to actually turn my phone off at night so nobody can call or text me (a travesty, I know). I also charge my phone at night.

So - with Daydream - I turn my phone off and put it on the charger. Will the daydream clock come on, and therefore I can use the alarm? I think I know the answer. I would normally use "airplane mode" to keep the phone quiet while I'm sleeping and charging and need the alarm. But am curious if Daydream would do it. [see edit above]

Of course, in about an hour I'm going to actually try it w/ a charger, but why not ask?

Thanks.

scrounger

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
In addition to the Daydream choices that come with android, developers can create apps to use this mode.
Photo Frame would run a slide show. I have one called Quotes that displays famous quotes, another called Clock Plus.

mm356

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
OK, I'm beginning to visualize this in "real life". So, I'm sleeping and charging my phone. I like to actually turn my phone off at night so nobody can call or text me (a travesty, I know). I also charge my phone at night.

If you use the "sleep" feature of Moto Assist, you won't have to turn it off at night anymore since it'll silence all unimportant (as defined by you) calls or texts when sleeping. So you can leave your phone powered on while charging and still use the alarm feature. Works like a champ... try it out if you haven't already.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy