1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default 3g/4g questions

I have been to a lot of NHL and college football games lately and when I am there I have no data service, despite showing a decent 4G connection most of the time. *I understand that tens of thousands of people overloading a single (or couple) of towers can slow or halt data, but beyond that I have very little knowledge of how these things work. *

One thing I have noticed, however, is that when I am at the game occasionally my phone will flip over to 3G, and when that happens data seems to work pretty well.

My questions:

1) Will my phone work better on 3G in a super crowded area, or was my observation merely a coincidence?*

2) If so, does anyone know an easy way to switch between 4G & 3G? *I was using an app for this on my Bionic but I can't seem to find it for the Moto X.

Thanks in advance!

Global Posts
    13,841 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Default Re: 3g/4g questions

Quote Originally Posted by londonham View Post
    I have been to a lot of NHL and college football games lately and when I am there I have no data service, despite showing a decent 4G connection most of the time. *I understand that tens of thousands of people overloading a single (or couple) of towers can slow or halt data, but beyond that I have very little knowledge of how these things work. *

One thing I have noticed, however, is that when I am at the game occasionally my phone will flip over to 3G, and when that happens data seems to work pretty well.

My questions:

1) Will my phone work better on 3G in a super crowded area, or was my observation merely a coincidence?*

2) If so, does anyone know an easy way to switch between 4G & 3G? *I was using an app for this on my Bionic but I can't seem to find it for the Moto X.

Thanks in advance!
    I honestly think the signal was stronger with 3G than 4. As for switching, it is kind of a pain; you have to dig through settings.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here

ROM
    Stock

As far as I know only CDMA networks (Verizon & Sprint) you can go into a menu and change from LTE to 3G, but on AT&T it automatically locks you into the "best" signal. I have had a Samsung Galaxy 2 skyrocket and an HTC One X since I've been on AT&T since 12/2011, and I have never been able to manually switch the signal.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I'm on Verizon do I will give it a shot. Thanks

Global Posts
    5,538 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Quote Originally Posted by acles003 View Post
    As far as I know only CDMA networks (Verizon & Sprint) you can go into a menu and change from LTE to 3G, but on AT&T it automatically locks you into the "best" signal. I have had a Samsung Galaxy 2 skyrocket and an HTC One X since I've been on AT&T since 12/2011, and I have never been able to manually switch the signal.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
    You can change them on AT&T and T-Mobile too...

Posted via Android Central App
    Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever

Get xposed framework and gravity box to enable a toggle in your quick settings.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Anyone know which network is the Verizon 4g one? LTE/GSM/CDMA AUTO prl? Or LTE/CDMA AUTO prl? Or other? I want to make sure I switch back to the correct one. Thanks

Global Posts
    5,538 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Quote Originally Posted by londonham View Post
    Anyone know which network is the Verizon 4g one? LTE/GSM/CDMA AUTO prl? Or LTE/CDMA AUTO prl? Or other? I want to make sure I switch back to the correct one. Thanks
    Should be the one with GSM in it.

Posted via Android Central App
    Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever