Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33
Like Tree15Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Moto X - Touchless Commands

    I didn't find a conversation about the various commands we can use with touchless control and I am enjoying exploring what can be done with them, so I started this one.

    I realized that we now only have to say "OK Google" when it started putting "now" as the first word in all my queries

    Some of the simple commands I like using so far are:
    • what time is it?
    • where's my phone?
    • set an alarm for 5 minutes from now, 8:30, etc
    • call Suzi
    • open __ app


    Things I haven't figured out yet are:
    • when I get an alert that a text was received, how to say "read it to me"
    • when I get an alert that an email was received, how to say "who is it from?"
    • getting the right syntax to have it send a text for me


    What commands do you like using?
    myRT likes this.
  2. #2  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    13,549 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,824 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

    Default Re: Moto X - Touchless Commands

    I just typically set reminders with it. Other than that I occasionally tell it to do a barrel roll.

    Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here
    JungleLarry and asdrew like this.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Moto X - Touchless Commands

    I thought if you said "help me" after saying "google now" it will give you a list of commands.
    Sent from my Moto X assembled in the USA!!
    Thanked by:
    asdrew 
    Ry likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: Moto X - Touchless Commands

    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    I thought if you said "help me" after saying "google now" it will give you a list of commands.
    Yes, but it is not necessarily comprehensive.
    paisley99 likes this.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Moto X - Touchless Commands

    to the op: it wont send or read a text (unless u have motorola assist working properly, when driving mind you) and it wont read who its from (yet)

    aside from the random google searches, i like using the reminder and alarm notifications.

    i stopped asking it to play music because itll either do a google search or it will play the song and leave it at that. i still have to grab the phone to make it play all my music (i like playing in shuffle)
    Ry likes this.
  6. #6  
    grooks's Avatar

    Posts
    459 Posts
    Global Posts
    460 Global Posts

    Default Re: Moto X - Touchless Commands

    The following link has a few more commands

    Thanked by 3:
    davidnc and Ry like this.
  7. #7  
    davidnc's Avatar

    Posts
    5,532 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,682 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus(AOKP-jb_4.2.1)

    Default Re: Moto X - Touchless Commands

    The main command I use is "Navigate to_________________" ,,,,or "Navigate to the closest_______________"
    Other commands I use once in awhile is "Whats the Weather Like",,,,,,, for extended weather conditions: "Is rain in the forecast" or If asking about weather in other areas : "Is rain in the forecast for _________"
    "Set Alarm for ______________"
    "Set Reminder for______________"
    asdrew likes this.
  8. #8  
    hobojoe196061's Avatar

    Posts
    46 Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted, ChevyNO1

    Default Re: Moto X - Touchless Commands

    Ok Google now:

    make me a sandwich.
    Sudo make me a sandwich.

    Posted via Android Central App
    weksa likes this.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Moto X - Touchless Commands

    Quote Originally Posted by asdrew View Post
    [*]open __ app
    I can not get this to work with Waze. No matter how I pronounce it, I just get search results for "open ways".

    I use Waze while driving, if I get a call and answer it by voice, it doesn't return to Waze when the call hangs up. So I have to pick up my phone and switch back to Waze. I was hoping there was a way I could switch back hands free.

    It does work for Gmail, Chrome, Flixter, Verge, etc.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Moto X - Touchless Commands

    Quote Originally Posted by mkreef View Post
    I can not get this to work with Waze. No matter how I pronounce it, I just get search results for "open ways".

    I use Waze while driving, if I get a call and answer it by voice, it doesn't return to Waze when the call hangs up. So I have to pick up my phone and switch back to Waze. I was hoping there was a way I could switch back hands free.

    It does work for Gmail, Chrome, Flixter, Verge, etc.
    Going back to what the phone was doing after hanging up on a call is something they need to fix. However I doubt Waze will ever be something that can easily be started with a voice command. They doomed that when they named it
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Moto X - Touchless Commands

    Quote Originally Posted by fldude99 View Post
    Going back to what the phone was doing after hanging up on a call is something they need to fix. However I doubt Waze will ever be something that can easily be started with a voice command. They doomed that when they named it
    Just said "okay Google now open ways" and it launched waze

    Posted via Android Central App
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Moto X - Touchless Commands

    Quote Originally Posted by globster2000 View Post
    Just said "okay Google now open ways" and it launched waze

    Posted via Android Central App
    Interesting. Just tried another 10 times, really pronouncing the Z and it does not work for me.

    I assume it looks at the apps you have installed and it appears it looks in the store too because I just said "OK Google Now, open foobar" and it showed me an app in the Play store called "fubar" (with no web search results).
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Moto X - Touchless Commands

    I use Google now a little at home but found a little inconvenient while driving.
    I can't stand looking at my phone even to hit send or proof read a text.

    I found utter and it works awesome in the car. It uses Google now, searches and voice. The huge difference for me is in sending a text.

    I don't have to say OK Google now, send my wife a text saying. Then look down to check that it's right and hit send.

    I say wake up, it says I'm awake (or whatever I want it to say) and I say send my wife a text. It replies, OK, what would you like to tell your wife. You tell it. It says OK, this is what I heard... Reads it back to you then asks if you would like to proof read it. If you do, it pulls up your default Sms, if not, it says OK.... Sent. That's perfection for me.

    It's very customizable. You can create phrases, have it activate by a button, shake, wave or phrase.



    It's in beta but very nice.

    Posted via my MotoX
    Thanked by 3:
    asdrewdefusemkreef 
    defuse likes this.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Moto X - Touchless Commands

    Quote Originally Posted by mkreef View Post
    Interesting. Just tried another 10 times, really pronouncing the Z and it does not work for me.

    I assume it looks at the apps you have installed and it appears it looks in the store too because I just said "OK Google Now, open foobar" and it showed me an app in the Play store called "fubar" (with no web search results).
    That's pretty funny. It was accurate. It spelled it correctly... Now I'm curious what the app is.. Gonna look it up

    Posted via my MotoX
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Moto X - Touchless Commands

    Quote Originally Posted by myRT View Post
    I use Google now a little at home but found a little inconvenient while driving.
    I can't stand looking at my phone even to hit send or proof read a text.

    I found utter and it works awesome in the car. It uses Google now, searches and voice. The huge difference for me is in sending a text.

    I don't have to say OK Google now, send my wife a text saying. Then look down to check that it's right and hit send.

    I say wake up, it says I'm awake (or whatever I want it to say) and I say send my wife a text. It replies, OK, what would you like to tell your wife. You tell it. It says OK, this is what I heard... Reads it back to you then asks if you would like to proof read it. If you do, it pulls up your default Sms, if not, it says OK.... Sent. That's perfection for me.

    It's very customizable. You can create phrases, have it activate by a button, shake, wave or phrase.



    It's in beta but very nice.

    Posted via my MotoX
    This sounds pretty cool! Personally I think their needs to be an advanced mode for some of this assist stuff because it takes to long going through these voice commands and listening back to confirm and such.

    I find myself just using the voice search or voice key on my keyboard (moto x is in nav doc) so I can get more of a seemless conversation that doesn't take 2 minutes to send or read an easy text.

    Posted via Android Central App
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Moto X - Touchless Commands

    Quote Originally Posted by myRT View Post
    I use Google now a little at home but found a little inconvenient while driving.
    I can't stand looking at my phone even to hit send or proof read a text.

    I found utter and it works awesome in the car. It uses Google now, searches and voice. The huge difference for me is in sending a text.

    I don't have to say OK Google now, send my wife a text saying. Then look down to check that it's right and hit send.

    I say wake up, it says I'm awake (or whatever I want it to say) and I say send my wife a text. It replies, OK, what would you like to tell your wife. You tell it. It says OK, this is what I heard... Reads it back to you then asks if you would like to proof read it. If you do, it pulls up your default Sms, if not, it says OK.... Sent. That's perfection for me.

    It's very customizable. You can create phrases, have it activate by a button, shake, wave or phrase.



    It's in beta but very nice.

    Posted via my MotoX
    Sounds very cool...hopefully Motorola is paying attention to what is really needed and build it into future updates of assist
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Moto X - Touchless Commands

    Will the Touchless Command "Find My Phone" work if your Moto X is secured with a password? Thanks!
  18. #18  
    atkjhi's Avatar

    Posts
    64 Posts
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts

    Default Re: Moto X - Touchless Commands

    I've stopped using it because it isn't that reliable. I can just say "okay" and it turns on. The other day I was in a meeting and I turned off the ringer as I always do but the person next to me was speaking and my phone turned on and started searching for the word "porn". I don't know what the guy was talking about since I wasn't paying much attention but it wasn't even my voice that activated the phone, nor was it the correct phrase "Okay Google Now". Anyone else experience a similar experience?
  19. #19  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by atkjhi View Post
    I've stopped using it because it isn't that reliable. I can just say "okay" and it turns on. The other day I was in a meeting and I turned off the ringer as I always do but the person next to me was speaking and my phone turned on and started searching for the word "porn". I don't know what the guy was talking about since I wasn't paying much attention but it wasn't even my voice that activated the phone, nor was it the correct phrase "Okay Google Now". Anyone else experience a similar experience?
    You definitely need to go through the retrain process if this is happening. Mine is EXTREMELY accurate and since owning it from week 1 has never randomly gone off. The reason you have to say okay Google now is because 3 words you say will have a rhythm to it most won't be able to do. Retrain the phrase and you'll be golden.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Stang68 and fldude99 like this.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Moto X - Touchless Commands

    I've never had mine answer to another person's voice, I just have reliability issues with it while I'm driving. Assist Driving mode seems to cut in and out at will. That's what prompted me to try utter! I have to say folks.... Utter works great and uses Google now in many situations. It just seems more accurate and more reliable to me not to mention it reading back to you what you say before sending any messages. It really is ideal and works how I wish Google now would.

    Posted via my MotoX
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Moto X - Touchless Commands

    Quote Originally Posted by myRT View Post
    I've never had mine answer to another person's voice, I just have reliability issues with it while I'm driving. Assist Driving mode seems to cut in and out at will. That's what prompted me to try utter! I have to say folks.... Utter works great and uses Google now in many situations. It just seems more accurate and more reliable to me not to mention it reading back to you what you say before sending any messages. It really is ideal and works how I wish Google now would.

    Posted via my MotoX
    Did you disable, or uncheck Drive Assist when using Utter?
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Moto X - Touchless Commands

    Quote Originally Posted by atkjhi View Post
    I've stopped using it because it isn't that reliable. I can just say "okay" and it turns on. The other day I was in a meeting and I turned off the ringer as I always do but the person next to me was speaking and my phone turned on and started searching for the word "porn". I don't know what the guy was talking about since I wasn't paying much attention but it wasn't even my voice that activated the phone, nor was it the correct phrase "Okay Google Now". Anyone else experience a similar experience?
    Your experience is definitely a major outlier. From what I can see in the forums, and from my experience, the touchless command of "ok google now" is incredibly accurate. My voice is the ONLY one it responds to, and I have to say the entire phrase. You either have a defective device or it's not "trained" properly
  23. #23  
    hobojoe196061's Avatar

    Posts
    46 Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted, ChevyNO1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mkreef View Post
    I can not get this to work with Waze. No matter how I pronounce it, I just get search results for "open ways".

    I use Waze while driving, if I get a call and answer it by voice, it doesn't return to Waze when the call hangs up. So I have to pick up my phone and switch back to Waze. I was hoping there was a way I could switch back hands free.

    It does work for Gmail, Chrome, Flixter, Verge, etc.
    What I did for the apps like waze was to create a simple tasker task to launch waze then exported the task with app factory and named it ways. So now when I say "Open waze" and it hears "Open ways" it launches the task I created and exported. Hope this work around helps. And if you don't have tasker already, I cannot recommend it enough. Worth every penny.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:
    mkreef 
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Moto X - Touchless Commands

    Quote Originally Posted by myRT View Post
    I use Google now a little at home but found a little inconvenient while driving.
    I can't stand looking at my phone even to hit send or proof read a text.

    I found utter and it works awesome in the car. It uses Google now, searches and voice. The huge difference for me is in sending a text.

    I don't have to say OK Google now, send my wife a text saying. Then look down to check that it's right and hit send.

    I say wake up, it says I'm awake (or whatever I want it to say) and I say send my wife a text. It replies, OK, what would you like to tell your wife. You tell it. It says OK, this is what I heard... Reads it back to you then asks if you would like to proof read it. If you do, it pulls up your default Sms, if not, it says OK.... Sent. That's perfection for me.

    It's very customizable. You can create phrases, have it activate by a button, shake, wave or phrase.



    It's in beta but very nice.

    Posted via my MotoX
    Wow. This is huge. You can also navigate to a contact using utter. So if you go to your contacts list, save an address under bob's contact information, and then say "navigate to contact bob", it will navigate to the address saved under bob's contact information. I've been wondering if the touchless control could do this, and here is this app that does this. And what's better is, this app allows you to use waze as the default navigation app instead of google. I'm in love.

    Just one question, I know that one of the key features of the Moto X's touchless controls is that the battery drain is very minimal because of the unique way it is designed. Other phones can replicate the same touchless control function as the moto x, but because they aren't designed the same way, forcing a different phone to always be listening for the key phrase drains that phone's battery much faster than would occur on the X. Have you used this beta app long enough to notice if your moto x battery has been draining any more or less quickly ?
    Last edited by Lucidlore; 11-10-2013 at 05:07 AM.
    Thanked by:
    fldude99 and weksa like this.
  25. #25  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucidlore View Post
    Wow. This is huge. You can also navigate to a contact using utter. So if you go to your contacts list, save an address under bob's contact information, and then say "navigate to contact bob", it will navigate to the address saved under bob's contact information. I've been wondering if the touchless control could do this, and here is this app that does this. And what's better is, this app allows you to use waze as the default navigation app instead of google. I'm in love.

    Just one question, I know that one of the key features of the Moto X's touchless controls is that the battery drain is very minimal because of the unique way it is designed. Other phones can replicate the same touchless control function as the moto x, but because they aren't designed the same way, forcing a different phone to always be listening for the key phrase drains that phone's battery much faster than would occur on the X. Have you used this beta app long enough to notice if your moto x battery has been draining any more or less quickly ?
    Yeah I love it too.

    Yes. If you use the phrase to wake option it does drain the battery. On my battery meter it was a solid 5% of my daily drain. That's why I use it primarily when I'm driving. It's on the dock charging with waze on screen running so no big deal.

    Posted via my MotoX
    Last edited by myRT; 11-10-2013 at 09:39 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Sprint: Moto Maker 11/11
    By Ry in forum Moto X
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-08-2013, 04:56 PM
  2. [Radio] Moto X and Droid Line UPDATE
    By SeigaGen in forum Motorola Droid MAXX
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-06-2013, 08:48 AM
  3. Voice commands for contacts with unusual names
    By robertmarkbram in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-05-2013, 09:54 PM
  4. Would anyone like to purchase my Moto X?
    By jbmeicher in forum Moto X
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-05-2013, 09:19 AM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-04-2013, 11:48 AM

Posting Permissions

B