Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    12 Global Posts

Default Hangouts + SMS

Just picked up my motox yesterday and coming back to Android after a vaction in IOS land.

Trying to play catch up. Just saw that hangouts was going to supports SMS intergration. Has this update happened already? If so how do i start using SMS in hangouts. If not when are we expecting the update?

Thanks, happy to be back.

Global Posts
    460 Global Posts

Default Re: Hangouts + SMS

Quote Originally Posted by wgreaney View Post
    Just picked up my motox yesterday and coming back to Android after a vaction in IOS land.

Trying to play catch up. Just saw that hangouts was going to supports SMS intergration. Has this update happened already? If so how do i start using SMS in hangouts. If not when are we expecting the update?

The updated hangouts with SMS integration is available as part of 4.4 KitKat.

If you don't want to wait for 4.4, follow this link Nexus 5 and 4.4 System Dump Resources and you will find the apk for the updated hangouts. I have the new hangouts loaded on my Moto X and everthing seems to be working ok. I have not tried any of the other 4.4 files so cannot speak to whether they work so proceed with caution.

ROM
    Viper

The update will go out to other versions outside of 4.4 soon, it is just not there yet.

Here is the download for just the apk file. Just make sure that the apps from unknown sources option is checked and then open the file. It will install over your current hangouts app:
    Galaxy S3(unlocked on whatever I feel like flashing) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez) -- Addicted to crack and retired
    Thanked by:

I downloaded the apk... I noticed since then my Moto assist won't read my text messages while driving anymore probably because I'm using strictly hangouts now. Anybody notice this? Hopefully this gets integrated in the, 4.4 update
    grn4frk likes this.

I also tried the Hangouts v.2 but couldn't send MMS trough it. Plus, didn't really like that all it does combines SMS/MMS messages with your hangout conversations but keeps them as separate treads. I want my conversations with the same person to be displayed in one tread - just like iMessage does

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by wgreaney View Post

its not updated for everyone... will come to u in a week or so
    Fancy A Break From Your iPhone? Have an Android Kit Kat

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyRussian007 View Post
    I also tried the Hangouts v.2 but couldn't send MMS trough it. Plus, didn't really like that all it does combines SMS/MMS messages with your hangout conversations but keeps them as separate treads. I want my conversations with the same person to be displayed in one tread - just like iMessage does

Id imagine this is going to be a work in progress. Someone somewhere kept mentioning a patented apple had with the way it works.. I just can't see that being the issue. Google seems to release and revise with most they do. It will come.

Quote Originally Posted by Genisis View Post
    I downloaded the apk... I noticed since then my Moto assist won't read my text messages while driving anymore probably because I'm using strictly hangouts now. Anybody notice this? Hopefully this gets integrated in the, 4.4 update
    Exactly. The Drive Assist works with the stock messaging app. Maybe undo hangouts as the default messaging apps in application manager and then check it out. I think Motorola will have to address this issue with the 4.4 firmware update that is supposedly coming

Official update is now available.

Quote Originally Posted by tonymhoffman View Post
    Official update is now available.

Does anyone know if this updated Hangouts SMS will work with Drive Assist?

Quote Originally Posted by fldude99 View Post
    Does anyone know if this updated Hangouts SMS will work with Drive Assist?
    It does not. Think we're going to have to wait on kit kat.

So the stock messaging app is still available after this update? I suppose the Hangouts app will have to be disabled for SMS for the time being..that is if one wants to use the Drive Assist

Quote Originally Posted by fldude99 View Post
    So the stock messaging app is still available after this update? I suppose the Hangouts app will have to be disabled for SMS for the time being..that is if one wants to use the Drive Assist
    Correct.

Ry

Global Posts
    7,229 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by grooks View Post
    The updated hangouts with SMS integration is available as part of 4.4 KitKat.

If you don't want to wait for 4.4, follow this link Nexus 5 and 4.4 System Dump Resources and you will find the apk for the updated hangouts. I have the new hangouts loaded on my Moto X and everthing seems to be working ok. I have not tried any of the other 4.4 files so cannot speak to whether they work so proceed with caution.
    Do you use Motorola Connect? Hangouts 2.0 and motorola connect not compatible?
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Global Posts
    460 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    I used Motorola Connect a few times when I first got the phone but found I don't use it enough. I'm still unsure if I will miss text messages playback on Drive Assist. If I ever needed to use either I could always set up the default messaging app as default.

Global Posts
    354 Global Posts

So does the new Hangouts allow you send/receive SMS via your desktop, laptop or tablet?

Quote Originally Posted by clankfu View Post
    So does the new Hangouts allow you send/receive SMS via your desktop, laptop or tablet?
    In wondering that myself. Not seeing it through gmail, g+, or chrome ext as of yet

Global Posts
    354 Global Posts

In wondering that myself. Not seeing it through gmail, g+, or chrome ext as of yet

If not, I don't really see the point of it.

Global Posts
    460 Global Posts

Not seeing the ability through my Nexus 7.

Sent from my Nexus 7

No, see this video from Google that explains how it works.

Ry likes this.

That stinks I was looking forward to switching to hangouts.... Guess it will have to wait.
    I think your skills are improving.
    Moto X
    Nexus10 2012
    Nexus 7 2013 [Son's]

Has anyone not received the update? I'm still not seeing it in the play store

Quote Originally Posted by jtc411 View Post
    Has anyone not received the update? I'm still not seeing it in the play store

Google uses staged rollouts for their updates. Over the next week or two you'll end up getting it when the rollout hits your account.
    Thanked by:
    jtc411 
    Ry likes this.

I never use Hangouts, but I got the update today and there was a notification message "Touch here to setup Hangouts for SMS", which I quickly cleared. (I later started the app and noticed it prompts you again with a big splash screen... Maybe Later indeed).

Drive Assist and Motorola Connect are two of the killer features of this phone for me. Can't lose them until Hangouts works with both.
    H2o likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mkreef View Post
    I never use Hangouts, but I got the update today and there was a notification message "Touch here to setup Hangouts for SMS", which I quickly cleared. (I later started the app and noticed it prompts you again with a big splash screen... Maybe Later indeed).

Drive Assist and Motorola Connect are two of the killer features of this phone for me. Can't lose them until Hangouts works with both.
    Punit commented on g+ that assist will work with hangouts soon.

Thanked by 2:
    grooksmkreef 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast