Moto X and Verizon unlimited data

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
My daughter and her husband just ordered Moto X's. Both have unlimited data on Verizon. My son-in-law said he read something online that if you ordered a Moto X through MotoMaker rather than through Verizon that it was allowing you to keep your unlimited data. Indeed there was no mention of having to switch to tiered data when they went through the order process. In fact there was an option to keep your present plan. So I am wondering if this is going to come back to haunt them? Are they indeed in the clear since there was no mention of losing unlimited data?

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
I can only see this biting them in the ****, unfortunately. I wanted to keep unlimited too so I went to the VZW store and added a $10/month line to my account and used that for the upgrade. I was given a pin code for MotoMaker and used that to get the phone. From what I understand, that's the only way to keep unlimited other than buying full retail.

Posted via Android Central App

drvier8

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
There is an off contract option for the Moto X on motomaker. I bought mine that way. Activated the phone when it arrived and did not affect my unlimited plan at all (I've been month-to-month on it for over a year already).

Silly Pirate

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
For me, I chose to keep my unlimited plan on motomaker. The moment I activated my phone, it switched me to a 2gb plan automatically.

jayshoji

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Yup... I've been working with VZW the past few days and the only way to keep unlimited data w/o buying full retail is to upgrade a non-smartphone line (with an eligible upgrade) with a smartphone and a data package, then deactivate it as soon as you register it to that line. This will allow you to switch it out for the old device on the unlimited data line. If you touch the unlimited data line in any other way (i.e. upgrade it directly), you lose unlimited

JFS83

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
I have been delaying the purchase of my Moto X trying to figure a way to keep the unlimited. I have 4 lines today, 2 simple and 2 data (a 4G and my 3G). Was trying to determine how you went about using the simple to upgrade to X? If I go that route, I would want to end up moving my Droid X line to the Moto X. The other option was if I add a 5th line and just cancel my line after activating will that allow me to stay on unlimited?

nfotiu

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
I had unlimited data on a droid razr. I went through the motomaker to buy it on the $49 deal and it appeared to let me keep my unlimited data. However, once I went to activate online, it said my data plan is no longer available and I must select a new metered plan. I cancelled out of that, then took the sim out of my droid razr, used a chisel to cut it to the size of the provided nano sim, and inserted it in my moto x. The moto x came up fine with voice and 4g data, and so far all looks good. My Verizon says 11/15 for a contract end date, shows the moto x as the active phone, and still shows unlimited data. Who knows if it will last, but so far, it looks like a workaround losing unlimited.

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
My daughter and her husband just ordered Moto X's. Both have unlimited data on Verizon. My son-in-law said he read something online that if you ordered a Moto X through MotoMaker rather than through Verizon that it was allowing you to keep your unlimited data. Indeed there was no mention of having to switch to tiered data when they went through the order process. In fact there was an option to keep your present plan. So I am wondering if this is going to come back to haunt them? Are they indeed in the clear since there was no mention of losing unlimited data?

I'm no expert in this, but I know that Verizon users have been buying contract phones through Best Buy Mobile and keeping their unlimited data with mixed results. It seems that if you activate the phone with the SIM card you already have, it often works. So if your daughter & son-in-law already have LTE phones, they should switch their current SIM cards to the Moto X's when they get them rather than activating the new phones with the SIM card they come with. They'll probably have to cut their SIM cards since the Moto X takes a nano SIM, but you can cut them manually using a template you can find online, or buy a cutter. They cost around $5 on Amazon or eBay.

FoneFreak

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
I've had 4 different Moto X's on my account in the last 4 months and they have all been purchased through MotoMaker with the "off contract" option and I called into Verizon with the # on the phone's literature to do a ESN swap and haven't had any issue keeping my unlimited plan. I just checked my account online to verify too.

nfotiu

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
So did this work? Do you still have unlimited?
The rest of the story went like this (keep in mind I bought it at the $49 on-contract price). The chisselled out sim card eventually failed on me. So, I called up Verizon and activated the nano card that came with the phone. They never said anything about losing unlimited, but that activation eventually triggered my data plan being set to 2GB for $30. I was prepared to live with that, but had heard about some others getting 6 GB for the same price, so I called up and asked for that plan, and the guy said, oh yeah, you are a heavy data user, you should have been offered that plan, and said he'd give me 6 GB/month for $30. My usage is usually between 2-5/month, so I was going to be okay with that. However, when I checked back online, he had reverted me back to unlimited, and I have had unlimited since.

asianguy80

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I purchased my Moto X off contract during the cyber monday debacle but I still have my unlimited data.

Here's my phone list cycle. First I went from a Bold 9930 to a Blackberry Q10 and I activated my Q10 with the SIM in it I still retained the unlimited data plan. Once I received my Moto X I activated the phone with the SIM from the phone and it's been 2 months and so far I'm still on my unlimited data plan without any changes to my plan. Maybe if you use any upgrade it could be linked to the IMEI or something that will trigger your account to change itself over to the tiered data plans.

Jaingo5150

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't the mx use a nano Sim? That means you can just swap it out unless you have an adapter?

I was able to keep my unlimited plans when upgrading in store on my kids lines upgrades. However, in store they are willing to put you on a 6gb plan instead of the 2gb if coming from unlimited. This needs to be done in a corporate store, and if the trip says it doesn't exist, ask for a different rep.

avenged73

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
I bought my x on moto maker, you have to pay full price, or have a promo code for a discount, and you have to select the off contract option. If you upgrade at 49 you will probably lose unlimited. I paid about 400 for the phone and still have unlimited data. To me well worth it I love this phone.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

jasoraso

May 17, 2010
Visit site
The rest of the story went like this (keep in mind I bought it at the $49 on-contract price). The chisselled out sim card eventually failed on me. So, I called up Verizon and activated the nano card that came with the phone. They never said anything about losing unlimited, but that activation eventually triggered my data plan being set to 2GB for $30. I was prepared to live with that, but had heard about some others getting 6 GB for the same price, so I called up and asked for that plan, and the guy said, oh yeah, you are a heavy data user, you should have been offered that plan, and said he'd give me 6 GB/month for $30. My usage is usually between 2-5/month, so I was going to be okay with that. However, when I checked back online, he had reverted me back to unlimited, and I have had unlimited since.

If you had gone to a VZW store and asked for a NEW nano sim you probably would have been ok. Phones ordered thru Best Buy mobile apparently have had the same glitch of allowing the unlimited data to stay on - as long as the new sim that shipped with the phone isn't activated.

radyoactive

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Agreed, if you can live with 16GB, the current promo price for a brand new off contract Moto X is a steal if you want to keep your unlimited plan.

I paid about 400 for the phone and still have unlimited data. To me well worth it I love this phone.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
If you had gone to a VZW store and asked for a NEW nano sim you probably would have been ok. Phones ordered thru Best Buy mobile apparently have had the same glitch of allowing the unlimited data to stay on - as long as the new sim that shipped with the phone isn't activated.
Motorola uses Best Buy's system for Moto Maker, and so the Moto Maker ordering process has the same glitch.

So if do NOT pick a new plan and do NOT use the SIM that comes with the phone if you update on an UDP line through Best Buy online or Moto Maker and you should keep your UDP.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I purchased my Moto X off contract during the cyber monday debacle but I still have my unlimited data.

Here's my phone list cycle. First I went from a Bold 9930 to a Blackberry Q10 and I activated my Q10 with the SIM in it I still retained the unlimited data plan. Once I received my Moto X I activated the phone with the SIM from the phone and it's been 2 months and so far I'm still on my unlimited data plan without any changes to my plan. Maybe if you use any upgrade it could be linked to the IMEI or something that will trigger your account to change itself over to the tiered data plans.

Motorola uses Best Buy's system for ordering through Moto Maker and there is a glitch in the Best Buy system that lets you not select a new data plan and as long as you don't use the SIM that ships with the phone to activate the phone, you will keep your UDP. So it is tied to the SIM card that ships with the phone, not the IMEI number of the phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance