Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree105Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    353 Global Posts

Default Arstechnica says the Moto X is the best overall Android phone of 2013

Global Posts
    5,537 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Default Re: Arstechnica says the Moto X is the best overall Android phone of 2013

Quote Originally Posted by clankfu View Post

It's probably the most balanced phone, but I wouldn't say it's the best.
    JeffDenver and Algus like this.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,189 Global Posts

Default Re: Arstechnica says the Moto X is the best overall Android phone of 2013

Not surprised.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    700 Global Posts
    ROM
    MIUI

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Isn't that what "Best Overall" means?

Global Posts
    395 Global Posts

Dunno how you can declare a best phone when all the choices come from people who are looking for different features in their phone. To me, the Note 3 is the best but I can totally get why some people prefer a smaller phone or don't care to pay for the spen. After getting to play with my sister's S4, I was really impressed and I could see myself going to a regular Galaxy.

One thing I really liked about this article was the side by side discussion of iOS, Windows Mobile 8, and Android. I kind of wish they had included Blackberry in the mix as well but oh well. I continue to be envious of the look and design of the Lumia phones, even though I'm not interested in Windows 8 at all.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    353 Global Posts

There's something to be said for the whole being greater than the sum of its parts.
    t0ked and paisley99 like this.

Global Posts
    700 Global Posts
    ROM
    MIUI

Quote Originally Posted by Algus View Post
    I kind of wish they had included Blackberry in the mix as well but oh well.
    I believe the omission was more merciful than short-sighted.
    Ry, MERCDROID and Algus like this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    353 Global Posts

Dunno how you can declare a best phone when all the choices come from people who are looking for different features in their phone. To me, the Note 3 is the best but I can totally get why some people prefer a smaller phone or don't care to pay for the spen. After getting to play with my sister's S4, I was really impressed and I could see myself going to a regular Galaxy.
    A designation like this is obviously subjective. It's just good to know that our puny little community here isn't alone in our love for this phone.
    Algus likes this.

Global Posts
    5,537 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Quote Originally Posted by JungleLarry View Post
    Isn't that what "Best Overall" means?
    No. Most balanced means it does everything at least decently. I think of best overall as the phone that scores high in every single categoery.
    For example. The most balanced basketball in the NBA would probably be the Bulls or Pacers, but the best overall would be the Heat
    Thanked by:
    lbump 
    JLadd4420 likes this.

Global Posts
    5,537 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

There's something to be said for the whole being greater than the sum of its parts.
    The Moto X isn't the best in any category except maybe form-factor. It is decent for gaming and the camera is decent but there are phones that do both of these very well and still have the great battery life and software

Dunno how you can declare a best phone when all the choices come from people who are looking for different features in their phone.
    While it's true that there are a number of specific use cases that will totally eliminate the "best" phone from consideration (i.e. you want more than 32GB of storage or want a bigger/smaller form factor for some reason), there are a large number of people who don't have any specific needs like that. For those people it makes sense to choose between what many different sites call the "best" phone.

I'm inclined to agree with their analysis. If there isn't anything specific pushing you to another phone then the Moto X is probably the best choice. It does all the normal smartphone stuff as well as any other phone, but also has some actually useful extra features, a great battery life and apparently can be found cheaper than many other top-end phones.
    t0ked and Algus like this.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Global Posts
    353 Global Posts

The Moto X isn't the best in any category except maybe form-factor. It is decent for gaming and the camera is decent but there are phones that do both of these very well and still have the great battery life and software
    Like I said, it's very subjective. Some people just aren't fans of TouchWiz or the G2 software (don't know what it's called) for example.
    UJ95x likes this.

Global Posts
    395 Global Posts

Hmm, I'm down with that. $99 on contract is still a pretty rock solid price.

Global Posts
    5,537 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Like I said, it's very subjective. Some people just aren't fans of TouchWiz or the G2 software (don't know what it's called) for example.
    True, but if we're talking about the best phone. It's not specific for people like us who nitpick the software and any "issues" it has. Most people don't know what TouchWiz is or what stock Android means.
    Anyway, I'm probably going to be getting the X2 or whatever they release next year because I'd like to have stock Android out of the box and I'm guessing the next Nexus will be even bigger. My S4 is as big as I'll go

Global Posts
    700 Global Posts
    ROM
    MIUI

No. Most balanced means it does everything at least decently. I think of best overall as the phone that scores high in every single categoery.
    For example. The most balanced basketball in the NBA would probably be the Bulls or Pacers, but the best overall would be the Heat
    I'm guessing you're a Heat homer, which is the only way this analogy makes sense.

Global Posts
    5,537 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Quote Originally Posted by JungleLarry View Post
    I'm guessing you're a Heat homer, which is the only way this analogy makes sense.
    No. I hate them actually.
    Thanked by:

I'd have to agree. I've tried them all and at least for me the Moto X is the best!

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    163 Global Posts

With the recent free on contract price on VZW and the announcement that the soak test on the Verizon Moto X is actually 4.4 (so kitkat in a couple weeks?), I think the award is justified.

Global Posts
    5,537 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Quote Originally Posted by t0ked View Post
    With the recent free on contract price on VZW and the announcement that the soak test on the Verizon Moto X is actually 4.4 (so kitkat in a couple weeks?), I think the award is justified.
    I doubt they'll get Kit Kat in anything less than 3 weeks, even less than a month is unlikely
    Silly Pirate likes this.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Global Posts
    353 Global Posts

I doubt they'll get Kit Kat in anything less than 3 weeks, even less than a month is unlikely
    Are you talking about Verizon or the Moto X on any carrier?

Global Posts
    5,537 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Are you talking about Verizon or the Moto X on any carrier?
    Any carrier. The Nexus 4 is just getting the OTA. I believe the GPE S4 and One haven't received it yet.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Global Posts
    353 Global Posts

Any carrier. The Nexus 4 is just getting the OTA. I believe the GPE S4 and One haven't received it yet.
    I think we'll get it sometime in December. If the soak tests start going out, that's a solid sign that we're not that far off.

Global Posts
    163 Global Posts

Verizon Moto X soak started as of today. So probably a week or two until its pushed out (that's the general pattern with big red, soak test, official release a week or two later). That means Droid flavors likely very soon afterwards. All in all, kitkat coming very soon at least on vzw, which is very surprising, but welcomed.

Motorola maybe pushing past Google to bolster sales. They did promise kitkat before the end of the year. The surprise is that vzw may the first of the MotoXs to get it.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,189 Global Posts

Weird. It seems there's a segment that wants these sites to declare a "best" phone but if it's not their phone, they get kind of offended.

Posted via Android Central App
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    Weird. It seems there's a segment that wants these sites to declare a "best" phone but if it's not their phone, they get kind of offended.

Posted via Android Central App
    Probably its more for the people who just google "best android phone" and then buy whatever is recommended for whoever Christmas present they are shopping for.
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast