Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Postoid
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Vicious JB 4.1.1

Default ART on Moto X after 4.4 update

Has anyone switched runtimes from dalvik to ART yet? Curious to see if anyone's tried it and what's the performance/battery life like after switching. I'll probably be switching shortly. Just curious to see if anyone else has run into any glaring issues before I go ahead with it.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: ART on Moto X after 4.4 update

Quote Originally Posted by Pierce09 View Post
    Has anyone switched runtimes from dalvik to ART yet? Curious to see if anyone's tried it and what's the performance/battery life like after switching. I'll probably be switching shortly. Just curious to see if anyone else has run into any glaring issues before I go ahead with it.

Feel free to do it for us.

Also, how can anyone comment on battery life...we just got the update?

3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

ROM
    Vicious JB 4.1.1

Yeah true I guess nobody can comment on battery life yet. Brain fart. I'll be going ahead with it later and will post again about how it compares to dalvik.

Global Posts
    417 Global Posts

At this point, it's not going to make a difference. It's worth playing with, but you could potentially run into some conflicts in the app department.

Yeah true I guess nobody can comment on battery life yet. Brain fart. I'll be going ahead with it later and will post again about how it compares to dalvik.

you should checkout the nexus 5 threads. there was a discussion about this 2 weeks ago

Yes, apparently ART has a noticeable (positive) affect in battery life

Just...WOW...massive speed increase using ART cache
    Fancy A Break From Your iPhone? Have an Android Kit Kat

Just curious to see if anyone else has run into any glaring issues before I go ahead with it.
    The camera is broken under ART. I can't even open it, so I switched back to dalvik.

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    The camera is broken under ART. I can't even open it, so I switched back to dalvik.
    Mine works fine under ART.. Maybe switch back and forth again and let the apps optimize again? I just did it so can't really tell any of you benefits yet. Tomorrow will have a better feel for performance

Global Posts
    417 Global Posts

I thought the quick mention in the podcast was worth listening to: Five minutes on ART — the new Android runtime | Android Central

In short, the engineers that came up with the thing state that it will not do much for someone that is an end user. So, if you're a Developer, it's a cool thing. If you're an end user, there is potential for it to possibly be more of a hassle than a benefit. But hey, turn it on, play with it. Why not? It'll be pretty cool if it adds measurable battery life.

Global Posts
    700 Global Posts
    ROM
    MIUI

So I've enabled ART and ran it for a few days. I'm not sure I noticed any performance benefits. However, I did notice a decrease in battery life. Rather, my phone had a tendency to dump from 35% to 15% in a matter of minutes, even while idle. Obviously I don't know if the two are related, but I'm looking to sort it out.

I've switched back to Dalvik and I'll keep an eye on things to report back. As of now though, I ain't buyin' the hype.

Google has said that ART is in there for developers and hardware manufacturers. End users will see little to no benefit from it and it could actually cause some major headaches for end users. It is the future of Android, so they included it for Qualcomm, Nvidia, HTC, Samsung, etc. and the app developers to be able to prepare now, before they switch over. Until those optimizations are done, you're going to see minimal benefit.

I get much better battery life on ART. raised my total time record by 3hrs with 5hrs screen time.

Quote Originally Posted by tonymhoffman View Post
    I get much better battery life on ART. raised my total time record by 3hrs with 5hrs screen time.

Are you a power user? Games? Just browsing I can get 6+ hours.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Just got my moto x on Monday, charged it up, activated it, download and install 4.4, and turned on ART because heard it helps battery life a little.
    2 days later, took a picture of the phone as I couldn't get how you take a screenshot (I do now) and this is what I got.
    The tiny spike was from transferring a photo to the computer which took <1 minute. I did have a short 4+ hrs of screen time but
    wanted to see how long it would go after the first charge.

ART on Moto X after 4.4 update-imag0331.jpg
    jephanie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by howdydoesit View Post
    Are you a power user? Games? Just browsing I can get 6+ hours.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
    No.

Social networking, emails, browsing, Google drive stuff.

I need to be on WiFi to get 5+