High Android OS use after KitKat update?

bd1212

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Is anyone else seeing very high Android OS use after updating to KitKat? On 4.2.2 before I updated it yesterday, Android OS would barely get to even 5% on my Moto X. Now it's at the very top with over 50%. Seems to be chewing through battery too. Is anyone else seeing this?
Screenshot_2013-11-20-09-43-54.png

prissysox

Trusted Member
Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Give it a day. If it doesn't change then there will be concern. Italy just have to "settle"

Sent from my XT1058 using AC Forums mobile app

bd1212

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Give it a day. If it doesn't change then there will be concern. Italy just have to "settle"

Sent from my XT1058 using AC Forums mobile app

It was the same way yesterday. I got the update at noontime yesterday and when I checked my battery stats at midnight, Android OS was around 60%.

Mine is only at 14% but I did a factory reset after I got 4.4 (usually do it at every android version update). View attachment 92954

I just did a factory reset to see if that fixes it. Hopefully it was just a Google Sync or services issue that won't happen again.

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Same here Android OS killing battery and at close to 50% today. Battery died in 8 hours.

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

bd1212

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Same here Android OS killing battery and at close to 50% today. Battery died in 8 hours.

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

No idea what was causing it, but I just read a post over at Android Police saying that clearing data and force stopping Google Services Framework can have some unwanted effects, and I did both of that yesterday. I'm guessing it caused a problem with sync and other google services, causing Android OS to use up a ton of battery. I just factory reset my Moto X so I'll see how it does the rest of the night and tomorrow. Did you clear Google Services Framework at all?

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Google Newstand updated yesterday and I noticed that it had been trying to download for awhile. I think that was the problem. Today looking good so far battery wise....if I continue to see an issue I will also do a factory reset.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I think it's just post new OS installation normalcy. I set mine up for the first time last night then downloaded KitKat. I went to bed shortly after that. It went from 100% to 91% in about 7 hours with some serious partial wakelock action. Maybe it was active notifications and the phone being face up? I'm not sure, but it does appear to be sleeping a little better now. I'm about to charge, reboot, and see how it sleeps.

Any time you install a major update, it's just going to take time for the device to settle. I'm certainly not ready to panic and I've barely had the device for 12 hours!

Roger Gibbens

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
Why do some of you do a factory re-set after an OS update? What is the reasoning behind it? I always thought that a factory re-set was the LAST RESORT option for issues, rather than the first thing to do.

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Why do some of you do a factory re-set after an OS update? What is the reasoning behind it? I always thought that a factory re-set was the LAST RESORT option for issues, rather than the first thing to do.

From what I understand, it is highly recommended, not a last resort.

Regarding the Android OS, although I'm still on 4.2.2 on mine, Android OS is always at the top of the list unless I happen to have my screen on more than usual for me.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Well, it's certainly a sure fire way to ensure you don't have problems. As far as having a high Android OS goes, I think you have to ask yourself two questions.
1) Is my battery life still awesome?
If it is, then big deal?

2) Do I have a ton of Google apps and is everything Google set to sync including having location sharing on?
If yes, then I'd say Android OS probably should be at the top of the list. It's not defective, you just have your device set to do a bunch of stuff in the background.

nikoaudio1

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
My Android OS has been around 7% on average. It's usually higher in the mornings coming off the charger but settles down throughout the day. I don't sync a lot of Google apps except when needed, so that may help.

Posted via Android Central App

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
My experience with the Android OS is when the phone sits idle for a long time is that it will creep back up the list.
When I use my phone alot using various aps it will drop back down the list.
For me Android OS wasnt a battery hog anyhoo.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
My experience with the Android OS is when the phone sits idle for a long time is that it will creep back up the list.
When I use my phone alot using various aps it will drop back down the list.
For me Android OS wasnt a battery hog anyhoo.

Yep, same here. More importantly, people need to look at Android OS and see how long it's keeping device awake. It's high for me right now, but I'm @ 64% battery after over 11 hours off the charger.

Big whoop.

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781