Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default why is android wasting all my battery

Got my x after kitkat so don't know if that makes a difference, got it yesterday and idk if that makes a difference but i started at 95 been on for 9 hrs, with 30 minutes of screen on time, android is 57% of battery, and I'm at 42% and I feel the battery is not living up to expectations.

Posted via Android Central App
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: why is android wasting all my battery

Here r screen shots

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails why is android wasting all my battery-1385158084618.jpg   why is android wasting all my battery-1385158096081.jpg   why is android wasting all my battery-1385158106444.jpg  

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

Try restarting your phone. Same thing happened to me last week, it fixed it right away.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

factory reset? or just turn it off an on

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

No factory reset. Just a soft reset, I just simply turned mine off and back on

ROM
    Stock Rooted, ChevyNO1

Just because it is running doesn't necessarily mean it's draining your battery. Unless you haven't touched your phone all day and that is the reading you're getting, then you have an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by lzelanka View Post
    factory reset? or just turn it off an on
    just restart ur phone
    Fancy A Break From Your iPhone? Have an Android Kit Kat
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Update on the situation. Battery life is much better, however it still says android os is using a lot. Have any of you had this?

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails why is android wasting all my battery-1385678337367.jpg   why is android wasting all my battery-1385678350939.jpg   why is android wasting all my battery-1385678363597.jpg  

Global Posts
    73 Global Posts

I have experienced similar issues with very high Android OS on the battery drain list. I think I have figured out the issue to be related to my wifi router (Asus RT-N66U) as Android OS is only very high when I am connected to wifi but today I was connected to a friends router most of the day and Android OS was not super high and my wifi battery life was much better then when at home. Going to do an idle battery drain test overnight with a different router that seems to not be causing high Android OS numbers and can report back. If it is the case it's very strange as none of my Android 4.3 devices have any issues with my Asus router.

Global Posts
    73 Global Posts

The problem turned out to be something with my router as connected to my alternate router the drain issues went away. More details in my post in the main battery life thread below. Hopefully that can help you with your issue as well.

Moto X Battery Life

Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock with XDA Google Now

Quote Originally Posted by landale View Post
    The problem turned out to be something with my router as connected to my alternate router the drain issues went away. More details in my post in the main battery life thread below. Hopefully that can help you with your issue as well.

Moto X Battery Life
    I think Im having the same issue. I have the Verizon FIOS router at home and work, so now after reading your comments I will look into the routers to see what I can figure out.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    73 Global Posts

Get a copy of better battery stats. It will help you figure out the cause of the wake locks to determine if it's the wifi or something else. Mine was overrun with "suspend_backoff".

So far I've made several changes to the 2.4ghz band of my router and I think I've stopped the battery drain issue. The changes I made included switching to G only, turning off WMM, changing the preamble to short and changing the beacon time to 200. Most routers might not have all of these options and I'm still not 100% convinced all of these were needed for the fix but at least I can use my regular router again.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    ROM

I got a copy and of better battery stats and I see awake is most of its usage but don't know of how to see what's keeping it awake. Can you give me any tips on using this app? I turned off WMM on my router too but haven't seen a difference yet. I don't really want to change it to g only because most of my devices are n capable.

Sent from my Moto X using tapatalk

Global Posts
    563 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Xterror View Post
    I got a copy and of better battery stats and I see awake is most of its usage but don't know of how to see what's keeping it awake. Can you give me any tips on using this app? I turned off WMM on my router too but haven't seen a difference yet. I don't really want to change it to g only because most of my devices are n capable.

Are you rooted?

Global Posts
    563 Global Posts

Also, the part where your battery stats tell you how long you've been unplugged, tap that and post a screen shot. I'm curious to see the difference between the "Awake" and "Screen On" bars.

I will say that this seems to be an odd device in how it reports Android OS. I do not game, I mostly do email, texts, facebook, light stuff like that plus occasionally watch some YouTube or Netflix, and NFL Sunday Ticket of course . Anyway, I always show Screen and Android OS at the top of my list, yet my battery life is phenomenal. I'm thinking it might just have to do with the way that the Moto X's enhancements are logged by the OS. I get a ton of emails, texts, etc during the day meaning I get a ton of active notifications. I also use Touchless Control a decent amount (probably 4-6 times a day). If Touchless Control and Active Notifications report to Android OS, then, in my case, it makes sense that it and the screen would be at the top of the list. It's not like Android OS itself is a battery hog on my device, the way I use it, seeing how I get 24 - 36 hours out of a charge on wifi most of the day, and about 16-20 hours when on 4G most of the day.

In your case, it seems like something is up. I don't think it's necessarily related to "Android OS" being high. You probably have some stuff churning in the background that is keeping your phone awake when the screen is off. If you want, try some suggestions I posted earlier tonight here in another thread. Give it a couple of days and see if things don't get better. I did not mention in the other thread, but that stuff is how I set up all of my devices. Despite that, I had some weird partial wakelock stuff going on for several days after I first got my device. In fact, it took 7 days after unboxing and updating to KitKat before things smoothed out. Every so often I'll have some apps that do nutty stuff (like Slice keeping the device awake and then randomly crashing) but I think it has to do with things not being updated to 4.4 more than anything else. A reboot fixes it.

Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    ROM

I am not rooted. The phone is a huge improvement compared to my Gnex I replaced it with, but I have a feeling I should be getting better battery life. Here is a screenshot I took right now.

why is android wasting all my battery-screenshot_2013-12-05-15-18-30.png

why is android wasting all my battery-screenshot_2013-12-05-15-18-10.png

I am not rooted. The phone is a huge improvement compared to my Gnex I replaced it with, but I have a feeling I should be getting better battery life. Here is a screenshot I took right now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2013-12-05-15-18-30.png 
Views:	105 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	95404

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2013-12-05-15-18-10.png 
Views:	104 
Size:	143.2 KB 
ID:	95405
    You have a significant wakelock based on your awake time. Try a restart to clear it up.

If that doesn't work, try safe mode to see if you have a rogue app.
    https://motorola-global-portal.custh...ail/a_id/69361

To determine if it's wifi related, try idling the phone overnight with both wifi and mobile data off.

Global Posts
    563 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by adrialk View Post
    Check partial and kernel wakelocks in better battery stats. You have a significant wakelock based on your awake time.

He's not going to be able to do that without root.

Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    ROM

You have a significant wakelock based on your awake time. Try a restart to clear it up.

I've tried restarting a couple times already. Didn't make a difference.

Wow you guys are quick. I updated my post with more suggestions after I realized you need root to check wakelocks in 4.4

Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    ROM

I've seen other posts that recommend a factory reset, maybe I'll try that this weekend.

I've seen other posts that recommend a factory reset, maybe I'll try that this weekend.
    The Motorola site says specifically to try safe mode before a factory reset, but its your time.

Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    ROM

The Motorola site says specifically to try safe mode before a factory reset, but its your time.

I'll look up to see what safe mode is and try it first. Thx

Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    ROM

I looked up safe mode and did it. Left it on safe mode for an hour without the screen on and the android os did not consume any battery. I restarted the phone in regular mode and most of my home screen widgets are gone. I will leave it like that for today to see if I see a big improvement then after start adding the widgets.

Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    ROM

2hrs into the day and it doesn't look like leaving the widgets off helped. Maybe I do have to do a factory reset this weekend.

why is android wasting all my battery-screenshot_2013-12-06-09-42-09.png

Actually, I was listening to a downloaded podcast through pocketscast on my drive down, they post hour. does that count as awake?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast