• 3 Post By tonymhoffman
  • 1 Post By planoman
  • 1 Post By planoman
  • 1 Post By CrazyRussian007
  • 1 Post By clankfu
  • 1 Post By JungleLarry
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Attention Kit Kat Adopters

So i've been reading through multiple threads with users having small quirk issues with there update to Kit Kat.. I find myself getting frustrated when I see other people commenting that Kit Kat is full of bugs and that they want to hold off.

I just wanted to put a list of things that people could do for their update to better ensure that it runs smoothly. Personally I don't prefer to do a factory reset from inside the OS itself, I like to do it from the recovery console because I wipe the cache partition, then factory wipe. I know that factory wipe does it.. it's just my personal ritual.

Here is a link to get to the recovery console to wipe cache, as well as factory restore.

-Enter Recovery
    -Wipe Cache
    -Reboot
    -Power off
    -Enter Recovery
    -Factory Reset
    -Reboot
    -Enter new system info
    -Power Down
    -Enter Recovery
    -Wipe Cache
    -Reboot---- Done... I know this might be overkill but this makes sure that anything of the old got removed and you are running on a completely new slate.

Remember this is a major OS update. I always look at it this way.. Anytime windows had a new release, updating on top of the existing OS almost always had quirks that came along with it. Especially from those who went from 98-ME or Me-2000. The best way to ensure a clean and health install was a full format. Hope this helps someone!

Cheers
    Thanked by 4:
    jroc, JungleLarry and anthony2558 like this.

Default Re: Attention Kit Kat Adopters

Might want to include how to get into recovery in the first place as the procedure itself is somewhat ritualistic

-Moto X-
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketsaucev2 View Post
    Might want to include how to get into recovery in the first place as the procedure itself is somewhat ritualistic

-Moto X-
    The link is attached.

Quote Originally Posted by tonymhoffman View Post
    The link is attached.
    Never mind. My bad

-Moto X-

I have updated and will wait till I see any issues before doing a wipe and reset.

Pretty happy with the update so far!

Sent from my Moto X!
    Lumia 925 w/Black, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8
    and yes...an iPhone 5 too...
    mhettrich likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by planoman View Post
    I have updated and will wait till I see any issues before doing g a wipe and reset.

Pretty happy with the update so far!

Sent from my Moto X!
    Mine is screaming so far! No issues, I was worried about the active notification unlock lag but I think its even faster than it was.

On another note I really like the new sounds they have. Welcomed change for me. Are you using GEL?

Mine is screaming so far! No issues, I was worried about the active notification unlock lag but I think its even faster than it was.

On another note I really like the new sounds they have. Welcomed change for me. Are you using GEL?
    Not using GEL. Have it on my Nexus 5. I'm liking my Moto X just the way it is!

Sent from my Moto X!
    Lumia 925 w/Black, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8
    and yes...an iPhone 5 too...
    Revampd likes this.

Global Posts
    700 Global Posts
    ROM
    MIUI

Gonna bump this.

When I received my phone it had 4.2 loaded, but then pushed 4.4 pretty quickly (before I had anything installed). Even so, there were some inconsistencies and this is the process I went through to remedy them.

If you *think* there's a problem with your phone or Kit Kat or both, you should do this before you freak out.

Global Posts
    353 Global Posts

-Enter Recovery
    -Wipe Cache
    -Reboot
    -Power off
    -Enter Recovery
    -Factory Reset
    -Reboot
    -Enter new system info
    -Power Down
    -Enter Recovery
    -Wipe Cache
    -Reboot---- Done... I know this might be overkill but this makes sure that anything of the old got removed and you are running on a completely new slate.
    Why wipe cache twice? Seems redundant.

Quote Originally Posted by clankfu View Post
    Why wipe cache twice? Seems redundant.
    As he said, just "his personal ritual"

Posted via Android Central App
    tonymhoffman likes this.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,182 Global Posts

So i've been reading through multiple threads with users having small quirk issues with there update to Kit Kat.. I find myself getting frustrated when I see other people commenting that Kit Kat is full of bugs and that they want to hold off.

I just wanted to put a list of things that people could do for their update to better ensure that it runs smoothly. Personally I don't prefer to do a factory reset from inside the OS itself, I like to do it from the recovery console because I wipe the cache partition, then factory wipe. I know that factory wipe does it.. it's just my personal ritual.

Here is a link to get to the recovery console to wipe cache, as well as factory restore.

-Enter Recovery
    -Wipe Cache
    -Reboot
    -Power off
    -Enter Recovery
    -Factory Reset
    -Reboot
    -Enter new system info
    -Power Down
    -Enter Recovery
    -Wipe Cache

Remember this is a major OS update. I always look at it this way.. Anytime windows had a new release, updating on top of the existing OS almost always had quirks that came along with it. Especially from those who went from 98-ME or Me-2000. The best way to ensure a clean and health install was a full format. Hope this helps someone!

Cheers
    Do this if you're having issues.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Just curious.... When you tap on the 4.4 version on my Moto X it shows a #1 and not a "K like it does on one of my 2012 Nexus 7 tablets..... Is it suppose to be a #1? I know it's silly question but just curious to what the 1 stands for? I have five Nexus 7 tabs (4-2012 and 1-2013), a Samsung s3 and Moto X..... Two of the 2012 tabs and Moto X received 4.4...But tabs show a K and Moto X shows a 1...Why!! Lol

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kidfox4u View Post
    Just curious.... When you tap on the 4.4 version on my Moto X it shows a #1 and not a "K“ like it does on one of my 2012 Nexus 7 tablets..... Is it suppose to be a #1? I know it's silly question but just curious to what the 1 stands for? I have five Nexus 7 tabs (4-2012 and 1-2013), a Samsung s3 and Moto X..... Two of the 2012 tabs and Moto X received 4.4...But tabs show a K and Moto X shows a 1...Why!! Lol

I think the one is supposed to infer that the VZW Moto X got the update first.

Global Posts
    460 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kidfox4u View Post
    Just curious.... When you tap on the 4.4 version on my Moto X it shows a #1 and not a "K like it does on one of my 2012 Nexus 7 tablets..... Is it suppose to be a #1? I know it's silly question but just curious to what the 1 stands for? I have five Nexus 7 tabs (4-2012 and 1-2013), a Samsung s3 and Moto X..... Two of the 2012 tabs and Moto X received 4.4...But tabs show a K and Moto X shows a 1...Why!! Lol

Some think it is because Motorola is the 1st manufacturer to released 4.4 (other than Nexus devices).

Sent from my Nexus 7

These bugs....can they cause faster battery drain?

Quote Originally Posted by grooks View Post
    Some think it is because Motorola is the 1st manufacturer to released 4.4 (other than Nexus devices).

Sent from my Nexus 7
    Ok...so its normal..The 1 is suppose to be there....I was thinking along those lines logically but the K through me off with the Tablets having a K....what is ironic is my 2013 im on now and two of the 2012 Nexus 7 in my house have still not received 4.4???

What do you mean by "enter new system info"? thanks!

Global Posts
    353 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by opuntia2 View Post
    What do you mean by "enter new system info"? thanks!
    He just means the start-up when you sign on to your wifi network and log in to your Google account.
    tonymhoffman likes this.

Global Posts
    223 Global Posts

Did everyone use the Motorola Migrate feature? Or just start from scratch? I launched migrate right after the Kit Kat update and also downloaded my apps from the play store during the process. It feels like my phone never quite settled down after that. It was awake for most of the day, and my screen on time was only about 1 hour. Within about 8 hours, it went down to 30%. I'm wondering if I should start over and leave out the migrate part (having my old texts and calls is a bonus, but not a necessity).

Global Posts
    700 Global Posts
    ROM
    MIUI

I used Migrate with no issue. I was actually pretty impressed.
    Thanked by:
    jedah 
    asdrew likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JungleLarry View Post
    I used Migrate with no issue. I was actually pretty impressed.
    Can you tell me more about Migrate? I can use it with data from the same phone but just after a reset?

Global Posts
    700 Global Posts
    ROM
    MIUI

Not that I know of.

Once you install Migrate on your two devices, it will pull up a QR code on your new device and ask you to scan it with your old device as means of getting them to connect with one another. The data transfer is done over WiFi. I don't think there's anyway to use Migrate to back-up your data on one device for factory reset purposes.
    Thanked by:

Although that sounds like a good idea. Maybe ask the same question on the Motorola forum so that can make it happen or explain why it wouldn't.