Attention Kit Kat Adopters

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
So i've been reading through multiple threads with users having small quirk issues with there update to Kit Kat.. I find myself getting frustrated when I see other people commenting that Kit Kat is full of bugs and that they want to hold off.

I just wanted to put a list of things that people could do for their update to better ensure that it runs smoothly. Personally I don't prefer to do a factory reset from inside the OS itself, I like to do it from the recovery console because I wipe the cache partition, then factory wipe. I know that factory wipe does it.. it's just my personal ritual.

Here is a link to get to the recovery console to wipe cache, as well as factory restore.

https://motorola-global-portal.cust...d/94946/p/30,6720,8696/reg/348778/action/auth

-Enter Recovery
-Wipe Cache
-Reboot
-Power off
-Enter Recovery
-Factory Reset
-Reboot
-Enter new system info
-Power Down
-Enter Recovery
-Wipe Cache
-Reboot---- Done... I know this might be overkill but this makes sure that anything of the old got removed and you are running on a completely new slate.

Remember this is a major OS update. I always look at it this way.. Anytime windows had a new release, updating on top of the existing OS almost always had quirks that came along with it. Especially from those who went from 98-ME or Me-2000. The best way to ensure a clean and health install was a full format. Hope this helps someone!

Cheers

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I have updated and will wait till I see any issues before doing a wipe and reset.

Pretty happy with the update so far!

Sent from my Moto X!

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I have updated and will wait till I see any issues before doing g a wipe and reset.

Pretty happy with the update so far!

Sent from my Moto X!

Mine is screaming so far! No issues, I was worried about the active notification unlock lag but I think its even faster than it was.

On another note I really like the new sounds they have. Welcomed change for me. Are you using GEL?

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Mine is screaming so far! No issues, I was worried about the active notification unlock lag but I think its even faster than it was.

On another note I really like the new sounds they have. Welcomed change for me. Are you using GEL?

Not using GEL. Have it on my Nexus 5. I'm liking my Moto X just the way it is!

Sent from my Moto X!

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Gonna bump this.

When I received my phone it had 4.2 loaded, but then pushed 4.4 pretty quickly (before I had anything installed). Even so, there were some inconsistencies and this is the process I went through to remedy them.

If you *think* there's a problem with your phone or Kit Kat or both, you should do this before you freak out.

clankfu

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
-Enter Recovery
-Wipe Cache
-Reboot
-Power off
-Enter Recovery
-Factory Reset
-Reboot
-Enter new system info
-Power Down
-Enter Recovery
-Wipe Cache
-Reboot---- Done... I know this might be overkill but this makes sure that anything of the old got removed and you are running on a completely new slate.

Why wipe cache twice? Seems redundant.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
So i've been reading through multiple threads with users having small quirk issues with there update to Kit Kat.. I find myself getting frustrated when I see other people commenting that Kit Kat is full of bugs and that they want to hold off.

I just wanted to put a list of things that people could do for their update to better ensure that it runs smoothly. Personally I don't prefer to do a factory reset from inside the OS itself, I like to do it from the recovery console because I wipe the cache partition, then factory wipe. I know that factory wipe does it.. it's just my personal ritual.

Here is a link to get to the recovery console to wipe cache, as well as factory restore.

https://motorola-global-portal.cust...d/94946/p/30,6720,8696/reg/348778/action/auth

-Enter Recovery
-Wipe Cache
-Reboot
-Power off
-Enter Recovery
-Factory Reset
-Reboot
-Enter new system info
-Power Down
-Enter Recovery
-Wipe Cache

Remember this is a major OS update. I always look at it this way.. Anytime windows had a new release, updating on top of the existing OS almost always had quirks that came along with it. Especially from those who went from 98-ME or Me-2000. The best way to ensure a clean and health install was a full format. Hope this helps someone!

Cheers

Do this if you're having issues.

kidfox4u

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Just curious.... When you tap on the 4.4 version on my Moto X it shows a #1 and not a "K? like it does on one of my 2012 Nexus 7 tablets..... Is it suppose to be a #1? I know it's silly question but just curious to what the 1 stands for? I have five Nexus 7 tabs (4-2012 and 1-2013), a Samsung s3 and Moto X..... Two of the 2012 tabs and Moto X received 4.4...But tabs show a K and Moto X shows a 1...Why!! Lol

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

tuanyes84

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Just curious.... When you tap on the 4.4 version on my Moto X it shows a #1 and not a "K“ like it does on one of my 2012 Nexus 7 tablets..... Is it suppose to be a #1? I know it's silly question but just curious to what the 1 stands for? I have five Nexus 7 tabs (4-2012 and 1-2013), a Samsung s3 and Moto X..... Two of the 2012 tabs and Moto X received 4.4...But tabs show a K and Moto X shows a 1...Why!! Lol

I think the one is supposed to infer that the VZW Moto X got the update first.

grooks

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Just curious.... When you tap on the 4.4 version on my Moto X it shows a #1 and not a "K? like it does on one of my 2012 Nexus 7 tablets..... Is it suppose to be a #1? I know it's silly question but just curious to what the 1 stands for? I have five Nexus 7 tabs (4-2012 and 1-2013), a Samsung s3 and Moto X..... Two of the 2012 tabs and Moto X received 4.4...But tabs show a K and Moto X shows a 1...Why!! Lol

Some think it is because Motorola is the 1st manufacturer to released 4.4 (other than Nexus devices).

Sent from my Nexus 7

kidfox4u

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Some think it is because Motorola is the 1st manufacturer to released 4.4 (other than Nexus devices).

Sent from my Nexus 7

Ok...so its normal..The 1 is suppose to be there....I was thinking along those lines logically but the K through me off with the Tablets having a K....what is ironic is my 2013 im on now and two of the 2012 Nexus 7 in my house have still not received 4.4???

jedah

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Did everyone use the Motorola Migrate feature? Or just start from scratch? I launched migrate right after the Kit Kat update and also downloaded my apps from the play store during the process. It feels like my phone never quite settled down after that. It was awake for most of the day, and my screen on time was only about 1 hour. Within about 8 hours, it went down to 30%. I'm wondering if I should start over and leave out the migrate part (having my old texts and calls is a bonus, but not a necessity).