KitKat Moto X already has root

ShoelerDroid

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
what does this mean?

SELinux enforcing means that there is a "context" for every file (which is pretty much everything in Linux) similar to file permissions, but determines when, where and by whom data can be run and accessed. It's used to make Linux hyper-secure and makes it incredibly difficult to root a phone without having access to the bootloader to flash a su.apk. Even if they find a compromise in a "system" package, it won't give them the access to write to the root filesystem. Sure - incredibly smart people will find some ways around it but it will get rid of most of the non-bootloader based roots on 4.4+. It's a very GOOD thing for us for security. The makers of the most popular su packages have admitted the days of root mattering are nearly gone. Google is doing this on purpose, of course, and though there will be a small group of VERY vocal techies against it, it's imho overall very good as I said.

There are ways to do nearly everything that a root does today, and it's pushing companies like Motorola to innovate with things like smart actions and their contextual services.

snoking

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
You may just have to pay for tethering and move on down the road so to speak! You can afford 100 per month for a phone, but not another 30 to tether? If you are a vet, Verizon gives a 15 percent discount if you take in a copy of your DD214. I get a 20 percent discount from the bank I retired from. When I was on unlimited and had tethering, they gave me the discount of the tethering also.

Because you can no longer stay on unlimited and add Canada roaming last summer, I ended up going on a share everything plan, as we boat in Canada each summer.

They are trying very hard to get everyone off unlimited, with road blocks at each turn!

Chris

Last edited:

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
You may just have to pay for tethering and move on down the road so to speak! You can afford 100 per month for a phone, but not another 30 to tether? If you are a vet, Verizon gives a 15 percent discount if you take in a copy of your DD214. I get a 20 percent discount from the bank I retired from. When I was on unlimited and had tethering, they gave me the discount of the tethering also.

Because you can no longer stay on unlimited and add Canada roaming last summer, I ended up going on a share everything plan, as we boat in Canada each summer.

They are trying very hard to get everyone off unlimited, with road block at each turn!

Chris
some people think paying for tethering is a ripoff and I agree with them

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site

They are trying very hard to get everyone off unlimited, with road blocks at each turn!

Chris
Verizon can't stop me from doing it per the terms of their block c licenses.

ShoelerDroid

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Verizon can't stop me from doing it per the terms of their block c licenses.

I'm a recovered Verizon customer, and trust me when I say this: Verizon will never do what they say, nor what they signed up for, nor what most of us wish for them to do, and definitely not the smart things T-mobile and to a lesser extent AT&T are doing about device contracts, etc.

While your statement is correct, it's not because your device still has a stupid damned CDMA radio in it. Until that goes away, Verizon feels they don't have to abide by the more open parts of the Block C licenses they got for LTE. They've even told the FCC as much and the FCC hasn't to date done anything about it. One of the reasons Big Red didn't sell the Nexus 7 LTE is because it'd be the first CDMA-free device on its network, in my opinion, and they really DO NOT want that.

Verizon will continue to be the gestapo that they've always been. My eyes were opened by their ham-handed dealings and outright lies about the Galaxy Nexus. I broke a 2-year agreement a year in to get out of their controlling realm.

Haven't missed a thing with T-mobile. And my bill is literally half and I get more of everything and official unlimited data. If you have decent T-mobile signal at work/home/whatever do it. You won't miss them. At all.

STC09

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Unfortunately I need a robust network so I'm stuck with VZW for the foreseeable future. The X is close enough to a Nexus that it soothes the sting but it really needs a tethering app and an ad blocker in the base version, which require root as I understand it.

Is there any hope of that on the horizon?

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately I need a robust network so I'm stuck with VZW for the foreseeable future. The X is close enough to a Nexus that it soothes the sting but it really needs a tethering app and an ad blocker in the base version, which require root as I understand it.

Is there any hope of that on the horizon?
none at all. Google is an advertising sales company, they are never going to put that functionality in their devices. They used to allow ad free in the playstore, but realized how hypocritical that was and removed it.

Also, you can get rid of ads by paying the developers for their work and buying the app.

As for tethering, Verizon would not certify a device for use on its network if it had an app on it that allowed free tethering with unlimited data.

STC09

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
none at all. Google is an advertising sales company, they are never going to put that functionality in their devices. They used to allow ad free in the playstore, but realized how hypocritical that was and removed it.

Also, you can get rid of ads by paying the developers for their work and buying the app.

As for tethering, Verizon would not certify a device for use on its network if it had an app on it that allowed free tethering with unlimited data.

I don't expect Google or VZW to supply any of that, but rather the Android community. Ad Free is/was available for sideloading - only for rooted phones unfortunately - and my understanding, ahem, was that tethering functionality existed on the Galaxy Nexus. I strongly suspect it's working on the DevEd version of the X too.

To be more specific, my question is whether rooting - or something functionally similar - a standard X is on the horizon.

Last edited:

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
and my understanding, ahem, was that tethering functionality existed on the Galaxy Nexus. I strongly suspect it's working on the DevEd version of the X too.
I was able to get the Galaxy Nexus to wifi tether using switchpro widget on ICS and JB without rooting. I just received a Moto X dev ed and switchpro widget does not work on KitKat. I haven't unlocked or rooted yet, though.

STC09

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I was able to get the Galaxy Nexus to wifi tether using switchpro widget on ICS and JB without rooting. I just received a Moto X dev ed and switchpro widget does not work on KitKat. I haven't unlocked or rooted yet, though.

Good point - I'd forgotten about the non-root workarounds. Guess we'll have to wait for a KitKat exploit.

Can't you root them using that method? I didn't think you needed to unlock the bootloader to root.
I don't really know other than that unlocking was always the step to be completed before rooting my GNex.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Good point - I'd forgotten about the non-root workarounds. Guess we'll have to wait for a KitKat exploit.

I don't really know other than that unlocking was always the step to be completed before rooting my GNex.

You do not need to unlock the bootloader in order to have root.

STC09

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Excellent. Now I just have to wait patiently for an easy root method for the non-technically inclined and I'll have a near perfect phone. I love the Android community.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Excellent. Now I just have to wait patiently for an easy root method for the non-technically inclined and I'll have a near perfect phone. I love the Android community.
I used Wug's for my GNex because I couldn't get any windows machine to recognize my GNex during the rooting process. I tried EVERYTHING And EVERY DRIVER, so no, it wasn't a driver issue that anyone had found a solution for. Several of us had this problem.

This time I am going to do it the old fashioned way because I want to learn. There isn't near a much dev support for the Moto X as for the GNex so a 1 click option may not ever exist.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance