Very high Android OS when connected to wifi

landale

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I just got my Moto X last week so have only used it with KitKat. I am coming from an S4 which was running CM10.1 so this is my first device running KitKat. I have read through many of the other threads on poor battery life but I haven't experienced that except when connected to wifi. When I am connected to wifi my Android OS is always the top battery drainer and the CPU total is always some ridiculously high percentage like 50% of the time my phone has been off the charger. Are others seeing this too? I have grandfathered unlimited data so I don't have to use wifi but at the same time I also want my phone to work correctly, plus isn't battery life supposed to be better on wifi, not worse? I am willing to try a factory reset but considering I updated my phone to KitKat before installing or doing anything I can't imagine it will do much. Are others experiencing this issue of high Android OS battery drain when connected to wifi?

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH! High Android OS! What's important is your actual battery life. I think mine is rocking, no?

8eza6y6a.jpg

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

landale

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
That's some crazy good battery life but what is your screen on time for that? The problem is if my phone was just sitting at my place connected to wifi for that long Android OS would be at 75% and my battery level would be much much lower. That's why I am trying to figure this out.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
That's some crazy good battery life but what is your screen on time for that? The problem is if my phone was just sitting at my place connected to wifi for that long Android OS would be at 75% and my battery level would be much much lower. That's why I am trying to figure this out.

just reboot when u see high Android OS. thats the best solution

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Do you have a bunch of apps only doing stuff on WiFi? Bear in mind too, it takes several days for your phone to settle. My battery life has been getting better and better as time goes by.

Maybe a factory reset will do you some good on down the road. I'd give the device time to settle though.

Posted via Android Central App

landale

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't have anything doing anything specific on wifi, in fact I haven't even turned on the automatic photo uploads for dropbox or google+ via wifi yet. It's a good suggestion though and will check some of the other apps.

I have been using the phone for almost a week so you'd think it would settle by now. I have obviously done many reboots. I am going to get better battery stats on my phone in the hopes it can shed the light on what might be cause the Android OS spike. It's just so strange as battery life has been fine otherwise.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I would just reset the thing. I know that's a pain in the ****. But I can't imagine a legit reason why WiFi would chew up battery like that. Even on my worst day on fringe 4G with 3 hours of screen on time, mine went 16 hours before I plugged it up with like 28 or 30 percent left.

Posted via Android Central App

landale

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Luckily it's a long weekend and I have Helium to backup my apps so a reset wouldn't be horrible. I would just hate to go through with it only to have it not fix anything. I am going to try a few more things today and tomorrow such as switching off wifi location and moving to 2.4ghz wifi instead of 5ghz wifi. Regardless I love the phone, I just want it to be perfect.

Okay I think I figured out the problem. I had a Tasker profile that turns on wifi when it detects I am near my apartment based on cell signal and off when it doesn't. Despite this exact profile working perfectly on my S3 and S4 it either doesn't like KitKat or the Moto X as the wifi had been turning off and on constantly due to this profile which was spiking the Android OS. Additionally I also figured out that an app I rarely used called Digital Alarm Clock was causing my phone to not go into deep sleep on a regular basis which was impacting my battery as my phone would not go into deep sleep after being removed from the charger. Anyway hopefully this fixes it and I can go back to enjoying my phone.

Last edited:

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams