Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By benhmadison
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    421 Global Posts

Ok, so this is a little deceptive because it's only about an hour and a half screen on time and an hour of talk time (and on WiFi the whole time) but wow! I was lucky to get my GNex to last 26 hours on WiFi with similar usage.

Motorola did some nice work on this one. I went back and forth between the X and the Maxx for a while. I'm glad I went with the X over the Maxx because I haven't run low on battery yet with this thing!

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by KWKSLVR; 11-30-2013 at 12:51 PM.

Global Posts
    13,794 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Default Re: Just Another MotoX Battery Life Thread

Wish I could be on WiFi my entire day....

But being in a building that does an excellent job of cutting off cell signals, I can get 13 to 15 hours easily on a 70% drain.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here

Global Posts
    13,794 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Screenshot

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Just Another MotoX Battery Life Thread-1385826782805.jpg  

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3

Global Posts
    72 Global Posts

That's impressive for sure. Do you normally leave battery saver on all the time? From my understanding it turns off background sync although I've yet to get a definitive answer if it's completely off or if it checks less frequently.

Since figuring out my wifi battery drain issue I've been happy with my battery life too. I think it might even be better then my S4 which had great battery life itself.

That Maxx is a beast!
    For the X, I think the battery life is OK...
    It last a day for me, with about 10 hours of 3g, the rest is on WiFi...
    I also use BT for about 2 hours, and the screen time is between 2 and 3 hours...
    With this usage, I can charge it once a day...
    For instance, I didn't charge it yesterday, only today in the morning...

Of course, I know there are other Motorolas out there that can last longer, both they are also bulkier....

Enviado desde mi XT1058 usando Tapatalk 2
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    421 Global Posts

Sorry guys, I meant X, not Maxx! Total typo. I've kept battery saver on since about Day 3 or so. I'm not sure if it makes a difference or not. It took me about a full week of use to start to see things smooth on out in the battery department.

The best I can tell, it seems to limit syncing just a tad. Every so often I'll get an SMS and like 2 or 3 emails at the same time. So maybe it's waiting for SMS before it syncs email? Or maybe it's just a random coincidence because I've had plenty of times where it hasn't been the case.

I thought Battery Saver simply turned off mobile data after battery got below a certain mark? I haven't read up on it though.

Posted via Android Central App

This may be a stupid question but do you get better battery life with wifi on or off?
    it would appear to me that if you weren't at home or work your phone would be constantly searching for wifi which would be a huge battery drain
    My phone shows 8hours 23min. 63%. With wifi turned off is that good or bad

Another? I have been told that leaving your phone plugged into a charger over night. Or after the battery is fully charged will also degrade or shorten the life of the battery

Global Posts
    13,794 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Quote Originally Posted by landale View Post
    That's impressive for sure. Do you normally leave battery saver on all the time? From my understanding it turns off background sync although I've yet to get a definitive answer if it's completely off or if it checks less frequently.

Since figuring out my wifi battery drain issue I've been happy with my battery life too. I think it might even be better then my S4 which had great battery life itself.

Yes I do. Sync happens with it on.

Global Posts
    13,794 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Quote Originally Posted by r p3 View Post
    This may be a stupid question but do you get better battery life with wifi on or off?
    it would appear to me that if you weren't at home or work your phone would be constantly searching for wifi which would be a huge battery drain
    My phone shows 8hours 23min. 63%. With wifi turned off is that good or bad
    I think that is about what I get. So about normal.

Just returned my moto x because of the battery life. My previous phone was (is again at the moment) an original razr maxx. I was used to leaving everything (wifi, bt, GPS) on all the time and everything syncing with high frequencies. With all the reports of good battery life on the x, I gave it a try. Unfortunately, I went from never thinking about the battery (6am-midnight with power to spare) to about 10 hours with the same usage. Nowhere near the 24 hours advertised.

I could stretch it to 16ish hours, but then I had to moderate usage or change too many settings to allow me to use the phone the way I want. I will give the new maxx a try.

I don't think it is fair to compare the x with the maxx...
    2200 vs 3500 mAh...
    Besides, I can have 24+ hour battery life on the x... I didn't charge yesterday, I had to charge it today's morning, and it was at 8-7%...
    Screen time was about 2 hours, with 10 hours of mobile network and 2ish hours of Bluetooth...

I'm happy with my battery life..I was between getting a RAZR HD or an X... There's no maxx here in Argentina...
    I know the HD has larger battery, and could run more hours than the x...

Global Posts
    6,666 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus(AOKP-jb_4.2.1)

I always leave my WiFi's on, Gps on.Just a few apps auto syncing hourly(or manually when I want.)
    Always I have gotten great battery life on Moto X for me compaired with previous phones.

Quote Originally Posted by SandroidE View Post
    2200 vs 3500 mAh...
    Besides, I can have 24+ hour battery life on the x... I didn't charge yesterday, I had to charge it today's morning, and it was at 8-7%...
    Screen time was about 2 hours, with 10 hours of mobile network and 2ish hours of Bluetooth...

I'm happy with my battery life..I was between getting a RAZR HD or an X... There's no maxx here in Argentina...

If you care about battery life, it makes sense to compare that in any two phones you are considering.

Quote Originally Posted by SandroidE View Post
    2200 vs 3500 mAh...

I agree. Did not expect Maxx level battery performance, but with folks reporting 24+, I thought I could make it through the day.

With my usage and in my environment, I was getting 12 hours maximum and only 8 on some days (meaning down below 10% charge remaining). I could get more, but it meant changing my usage too much (since I can't really change my environment). I don't want to charge my phone if I want to go out in the evening. So it went back. Will probably try a Maxx.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Global Posts
    421 Global Posts

The Maxx is a great device. Like I said earlier, I thought long and hard between the two. Ultimately, I felt the X would get updates more timely than the Maxx and I decided that was more important to me. 16 hours of average use is fine for me considering my GNex with a Hyperion lasted about the same amount of time.

Crazy.

Posted via Android Central App

I think the key factor here, is screen time...
    I think that's the best way to determine how much is a phone used...
    Of course there are other variables, but we can't measure them...
    Right now, I've 62% battery left, the screen time is at 1:20 hours, and the battery has been discharging for 17 hours...
    From some tests I've done, this device could handle about 8-9 hours of continue browsing with WiFi...

For what it is, the size of the phone and everything, I'm pretty happy with it...

Quote Originally Posted by r p3 View Post
    Another? I have been told that leaving your phone plugged into a charger over night. Or after the battery is fully charged will also degrade or shorten the life of the battery
    It has no barring on the battery. Once it hits 100 percent, it trickle charges down and up from about 95 to 100. It doesn't damage the battery.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    Nexus 5-Black
    Rooted 4.4.2
    TWRP
    Thanked by:
    r p3 
    r p3 likes this.

I have pretty modest usage habits. 2-3 hours SOT Max per day. Often less. By my estimation, there should be no phone on the planet that does not handle that gracefully. My GNex needed to be charged by 3:00pm every day.

This phone has never run down on me or made me think about charging during the day once. I've paid no attention to how much my kids play with it, or what's turned on and I always make it to bed (18 hours later) with battery left.
    Battery was one of my 3 biggest concerns. I don't even read about other phones anymore.