Moto X - Do You Use NFC?

kobolila

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Greetings.

I am intrigued by the promise of NFC technology, but wholly ignorant of its implementation. I have read some articles and watched some videos and now I am curious how you folks have used it and perhaps learn more about how I can as well.

For instance: I want to be able to put my X into a car dock (Montek CD mount) where I will have placed a NFC tag, have the X shut off the wifi and go into driving mode; at least keep it from shutting off the screen while it is in the dock & maybe opening Car-Home Ultra. BTW; I know Griffin has a dock that would automatically put the X in driving mode; I just dont like dash/windshield mounts.

What have you folks used NFC for & what informative resources have you found?

TIA

K

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Greetings.

I am intrigued by the promise of NFC technology, but wholly ignorant of its implementation. I have read some articles and watched some videos and now I am curious how you folks have used it and perhaps learn more about how I can as well.

For instance: I want to be able to put my X into a car dock (Montek CD mount) where I will have placed a NFC tag, have the X shut off the wifi and go into driving mode; at least keep it from shutting off the screen while it is in the dock & maybe opening Car-Home Ultra. BTW; I know Griffin has a dock that would automatically put the X in driving mode; I just dont like dash/windshield mounts.

TIA

K

Yes.

When not using my Pebble, I use the Motorola Skip Dots to unlock my phone via NFC.

When paying at places like McDonald's or Jamba Juice, I use my phone to Tap And Pay.

jexx

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
Greetings.

TIA

K

First post, thought I might as well jump in. Used my Moto X today at Rite Aid to make a Google Wallet purchase via NFC, went smooth as silk. Very easy to set up and use.

TJH132

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I use Tap-and-Pay anywhere I can, and it always amazes the clerks! For your stated purpose, you might need the assistance of an app like Tasker, which seems to be able to automate anything on your phone, and some programmable NFC tags.

Posted via Android Central App

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm looking forward to using it for tap and pay but so far I'm using it to beam music and videos between my two phones. Very fast and much easier than downloading the same media onto both phones. (No working computer at the moment.)

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

Gamer_Radar

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I just used it with Google wallet in 7-11 was fantastic!!!

sent from my MOTO X using the android central app | Adv Repair Agent-geek squad

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I use Tap-and-Pay anywhere I can, and it always amazes the clerks! For your stated purpose, you might need the assistance of an app like Tasker, which seems to be able to automate anything on your phone, and some programmable NFC tags.

Posted via Android Central App

Yeah sometimes the clerks look at me odd. I think some dont even know its possible. Was with my wife the other day Christmas shopping and they had it at American Eagle so I thought id show off to the wife but it was broken. Fail.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

prissysox

Trusted Member
Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Yeah. Best Buy disabled theirs. When I was at Rite Aid the cashier told me I still needed to pay. She'd never seen it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech