Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By still1
  • 1 Post By Ry
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    75 Global Posts

Default LG G2 or Moto X... Which to buy?

I am able to get a white LG G2 for the same price off-contract as the Moto X on Cyber Monday. At this price, which would you say is a better buy? I'm really stuck on this decision. Any input would be great.

Default Re: LG G2 or Moto X... Which to buy?

Quote Originally Posted by bd1212 View Post
    I am able to get a white LG G2 for the same price off-contract as the Moto X on Cyber Monday. At this price, which would you say is a better buy? I'm really stuck on this decision. Any input would be great.
    Better buy for everyday use is relative. I'd personally rather have a Moto X over the G2. But resale value the G2 is probably better in the long run. I don't like back buttons or huge phones, if that doesn't bother you then you may like it. It's got a nice big screen, awesome camera, and great battery life so it's a competent phone. All depends on what YOU want.
    - Kevin Bacon is my bananas.

Global Posts
    647 Global Posts

I was faced with this same choice yesterday. I ended up going with the 32gb Moto X. I bought the Developer Edition since I wasn't that interested in the customization. I have a friend who loves his G2 and would not trade it for any other phone out there. I chose the Moto X over the G2 simply because I believe the Moto X is offering a combination of things not found anywhere else right now. The size is great for one handed use and it feels like a quality phone in the hand. The way it handles notification and always listening is something I am very interested to try out. Obviously if you look only at specs the G2 wins. I have owned most of the "top end" phones in the last year. I am going a different route this time. We will see if I made the right choice. I would advice you to go handle both phones and see what you like. The only caution is that I have heard from Moto X owners that you can't appreciate the Moto X unless you really use it over a period of time. Good luck.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Woosh View Post
    Better buy for everyday use is relative. I'd personally rather have a Moto X over the G2. But resale value the G2 is probably better in the long run. I don't like back buttons or huge phones, if that doesn't bother you then you may like it. It's got a nice big screen, awesome camera, and great battery life so it's a competent phone. All depends on what YOU want.
    Well said.

if u want pure android experience(nexus) with Kitkat go with moto X.

Moto X feels good in hand and have all useful features like touchless control and active notification
    Fancy A Break From Your iPhone? Have an Android Kit Kat
    cwbcpa likes this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    75 Global Posts

I personally love the size of the G2 and if I get it I'd be putting a KitKat or Jellybean ROM on it ASAP, so stock Android isn't a problem. I've owned both phones before and loved both, but the G2 left a sour taste in my mouth mainly because of GPS issues that rendered it nearly unusable for navigation. The GPS was inaccurate and would always see me as 200-400 feet away from where I actually was, so whenever I used navigation it would constantly reroute and mess up. The main benefits of the G2 that I'd be seeing would be better battery life, display, and camera. The downsides would be less ergonomic and easy to use form factor and slower updates if I decide to stay on stock. I hate these decisions.

So is anyone else having GPS issues or was my original G2 a lemon?

I personally love the size of the G2 and if I get it I'd be putting a KitKat or Jellybean ROM on it ASAP, so stock Android isn't a problem. I've owned both phones before and loved both, but the G2 left a sour taste in my mouth mainly because of GPS issues that rendered it nearly unusable for navigation. The GPS was inaccurate and would always see me as 200-400 feet away from where I actually was, so whenever I used navigation it would constantly reroute and mess up. The main benefits of the G2 that I'd be seeing would be better battery life, display, and camera. The downsides would be less ergonomic and easy to use form factor and slower updates if I decide to stay on stock. I hate these decisions.

I'd say you got a bad one. My g2 is very accurate with its gps. Its also quick to get a fix, even indoors.

Sent from my LG-D800 using AC Forums mobile app

It could be a lemon, but several others received the same lemon from reading forums. When Verizon was offering $450 off-contract for 5 days, I nearly pulled the trigger but reading about this issue made me indecisive.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

I love the practical efficiency of the Moto X. Software features like Active Notifications and Touchless control are actually useful. That being said, the gorgeous display, better camera, larger battery, and Snapdragon 800 would have me leaning towards the G2.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

I don't know what carrier you're looking at, but Verizon has the LG G2 for $499 so you get 32gb at the price of a 16Gb Moto.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

Wait, you mean you can get it for $400 off-contract? Where's that deal?

Global Posts
    574 Global Posts

They are two very different phones. Moto X is pretty much a simple, no fuss, no excessive anything type of phone and the G2 is a phone that has a lot of "extras" built into it. I use my Moto X more than my G2 and after using every single phone that has come out in the past year or so, the Moto X seems to have all I need. I am not someone that needs more camera, more specs in general and definitely not larger size. Some of the extras the LG has like the quick memo is nice and impressive but when all is said and done, I used it a few times and then sidelined it for good. Same with camera options. Very nice but not something I use. I guess I'm too "old school" when it comes to smart phones. It's all a very personal thing.

Im debating if I should get the moto x tomorrow... I just want to try a new phone lol... Only thing that bugs me about the phone is that camera... I use my camera alot...

Quote Originally Posted by youngzayiles View Post
    Im debating if I should get the moto x tomorrow... I just want to try a new phone lol... Only thing that bugs me about the phone is that camera... I use my camera alot...
    Coming from what?
    - Kevin Bacon is my bananas.

My advice for those interested in the X or G2 is to walk into a store and check both units out. See what your preferences might be. For me the form factor, the X's unique features, and it's customization is what sold me. The camera isn't the best, but I am not looking to post phone pictures in the national geography. I have a real camera for that. If anything, my impression with the moto x has changed aspects of what I demand from phones now. However, no matter what its about what you want/need in a phone.

Posted via Android Central App
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,207 Global Posts

You're asking in the Moto X forum.

Moto X all the way.

For me, better size, better feel, and no buttons on the back.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    Postoid likes this.

These two phones are like two competing philosophies:

LG G2 is more = MOAR while Moto X is less = more.

It really comes down to what you want in a phone. To me, I like the approach Motorola has taken with the Moto X. It's just enough in terms of features, and I pretty much take advantage of all it offers. I know that wouldn't be the case with the G2. Plus, I think the Moto X is just a cleaner experience.

This is something I have been agonizing over myself as of late.

Originally I wanted the G2 for spec reasons. Plus its similarities with the Nexus 5. I currently have the Droid DNA, and that phone really has spoiled me with its nice camera. The only thing I want more is better low light performance. Naturally, that points me to the G2. I'm not entirely impressed with the back buttons, or the overall large size in the palm of my hand. LG's UI is also FAR too overstuffed for my liking.

That being said, I can always root and flash a different rom to the phone and be happy. BUT after having the Droid DNA with it's lack of updates I flashed different roms to it. In a nutshell, it was a lot more work due to rom availability, functionality, and general anxiety over potentially bricking my only phone. This leads to the appeal of the Moto X...

IT'S STOCK+ ANDROID!!!!

I have a Nexus 7 (2012) that I have rooted but left completely stock. BAM!!! That combined with timely updates. I have no hope for speedy updates officially for the G2. The biggest drawback to the Moto X is it's camera. But Motorola's added features are amazing for real-world use. Simple, easy, useful, and fun.

I'm not sure how close these two are in real world battery life, but both are better than my DNA's battery.

With this all being said, I am leaning more toward the Moto X.

+1. Agree with these comments. The X has the right combination of useful features that I'm actually using. I did not buy it for the camera which is good enough for my needs. The sum of these parts is certainly greater than the individual components. X all the way.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    145 Global Posts

I had the G2 for 2 months and while it was an excellent phone I just got tired of the size. For my hands it was just too large, while the Moto X works perfect for me. Software wise either way did not sway me as they both had their pros and cons.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by ryjb View Post
    I had the G2 for 2 months and while it was an excellent phone I just got tired of the size. For my hands it was just too large, while the Moto X works perfect for me. Software wise either way did not sway me as they both had their pros and cons.
    (I just got my Moto X today).....for me it came down to the software. I am coming off of a Galaxy S2 and honestly..... i hardly used any of the "manufacturer" software. I have also been using a Nexus 7 for the last year and enjoyed the look and feel of "Nexus" android vs Samsung android. I was also looking for something a little different and the Moto X is just that, I havent completely explored all it has to offer but I am looking forward to that path.

Over the past few months of research and shopping i can say the G2 made the short list, based primarily on its specs and performance. But in the end it felt more like my Galaxy than the cleaner android experience i was looking for.
    Moto X | Samsung Galaxy S2

I'm selling my G2 starting today, I ordered my custom made moto X.

Quote Originally Posted by fonslinger View Post
    (I just got my Moto X today).....for me it came down to the software. I am coming off of a Galaxy S2 and honestly..... i hardly used any of the "manufacturer" software. .
    Got mine yesterday with the same reason. Exactly how I beat Ford Mustang 5.0 with my Lotus Elise that has 2.5x less horsepower then 5.0. My Elise is slightly under 1,900 pounds, it's all about power to weight ratio.

Moto X hardware is not the best but with less junks does made Moto X go up to the top of my "I got to have this phone" list.

Quote Originally Posted by Nidwow View Post
    Got mine yesterday with the same reason. Exactly how I beat Ford Mustang 5.0 with my Lotus Elise that has 2.5x less horsepower then 5.0. My Elise is slightly under 1,900 pounds, it's all about power to weight ratio.

Moto X hardware is not the best but with less junks does made Moto X go up to the top of my "I got to have this phone" list.
    I like both big power AND low weight...mine:
    950hp @ 2800lbs . You just havent raced the right Mustang .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bnjf View Post
    I like both big power AND low weight...mine:
    950hp @ 2800lbs . You just havent raced the right Mustang .

Haha.. I don't drag, road course is where is at Beside I was just comparing stock G2 vs Moto X and my stock 2005 Elise vs stock 2012 5.0 last season at Summit Point Motorsports Park

Quote Originally Posted by Nidwow View Post
    Haha.. I don't drag, road course is where is at Beside I was just comparing stock G2 vs Moto X and my stock 2005 Elise vs stock 2012 5.0 last season at Summit Point Motorsports Park
    I know just messin around. The Elise is sweet. I like em all but my preference is the 1/4 mile and of course hurting Porsche owners feelings on the street. . Good comparison of the Moto and G2 though. I agree