Battery life definitely worse than my former 2 motos...

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
:(.

I've had 2 Moto X before this one. Both got regularly 22+ hours plus just under 5 hours screen time. I've had this new one since the 13th of November, my behavior hasn't changed and yet my average battery life for this phone has been 18 hours and under 4 hours screen time. I noticed it early on, i went to sleep with maybe 22-25% battery life my first day of owning it, woke up to it totally drained. But i figured i would just wait it out see what happened. Then again the other day it was totally drained by evening when it wouldn't have with my other 2. Any sort of tech help might help if i call? I've already reset, I have everything disabled that I don’t use and wakelock doesn’t show any apps gone awry. Is it just a less good battery?

Last edited:

stameyryan

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Honestly it could be a couple things from an errant app running in the background to a bad battery (which is highly unlikely since only new batteries are put in them)

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Honestly it could be a couple things from an errant app running in the background to a bad battery (which is highly unlikely since only new batteries are put in them)

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

The only thing that i see that i wonder about is in wakelock, google search is noted as 9 hours, 56 mins, waking 237x.It's not the waking, my Timely has waking noted at x831 but only for a total of 34 seconds. What's up with those google search numbers? Anyone here with wakelock wanna look at their stats and see if google Search has similar numbers? (i'm a total of 14hours battery at the moment with the Google Search noted for 9hours, 56 mins)

drvier8

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I returned my X on day 14 because of the bad battery life (dead at 12 hours with ~1 hr screen on time). I only had it about 24 hours before the KK update so I can't remember if it was better on 4.2.2. Will watch to see if any updates come that seem to improve folks battery life, but I wanted to get it returned while I still could rather than committing to it and hoping for a fix.

drvier8

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Did you see any strange behavior?
What was the most consuming process?

Enviado desde mi XT1058 usando Tapatalk 2

Google services was always at the top of the list. Sometimes the phone seemed to lose power more when not in use than when I was using it. I'd put it down at 80%, pick it an hour later and it would be at 50%. Then I'd use it for an hour and it would only drop to 47%. Another time it dropped 15% playing Dots for 15 minutes.

I could never find a pattern. Similar usage and environment (wifi at home, pretty strong reception at work) would give differnent performance on different days. One of the most frustrating things with 4.4 is gsam battery monitor and wakelock dterctor didn't work anymore so I couldn't really tell what was happening.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Google Currents and G+ always seem to cause wakelock nightmares for me. I have both set to manual refresh which pretty much seems to solve the problem. What were your location settings like? Did you try clearing out the cache in Google Play services? Rolling back the update, reboot fresh update? I've read where that has helped at least a few folks out.

Battery life like that sounds hardware related to me. I had an iPhone 3Gs once that would just chew through battery. The thing would die in 3 hours on standby and if you turned the screen on it would drop 1% every 15 seconds or so.
Turned out to be a faulty battery.

Posted via Android Central App

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Google Currents and G+ always seem to cause wakelock nightmares for me. I have both set to manual refresh which pretty much seems to solve the problem. What were your location settings like? Did you try clearing out the cache in Google Play services? Rolling back the update, reboot fresh update? I've read where that has helped at least a few folks out.

Battery life like that sounds hardware related to me. I had an iPhone 3Gs once that would just chew through battery. The thing would die in 3 hours on standby and if you turned the screen on it would drop 1% every 15 seconds or so.
Turned out to be a faulty battery.

Posted via Android Central App

Thanks. I think it's gotta be hardware. I disabled G+, Google hangouts, google drive, pretty early on. My refresh is 30 mins, but it was on my other 2 X's as well, but i didn't clear out play cache. I'll try that. I never got the update and i did do a hard reset after about a week after i got the phone.

I think if I try it all, a return/rebuy might be in order. Man, i must love this phone. Going alllll the way through it for it. lol. I was thinking i could live with it, but 3 hours less total battery, and 1 hour+ less screen time is kinda bothering me. If the google play cache doesn't work, i guess i'll do a return/rebuy? Ya know, google has billions, i shouldn't feel bad, even though it's not my fault, and 2 pieces i formerly had where *their* fault. so yeah, i'll return/rebuy if the cache trick doesn't work. THanks all.

Last edited:

str8bucs

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I have had my moto x for about 3 weeks and the battery life is great!

I run it all day long a with email, games and texts. I will go to sleep with about 30% left and have 28-29% when I wake up.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I have had my moto x for about 3 weeks and the battery life is great!

I run it all day long a with email, games and texts. I will go to sleep with about 30% left and have 28-29% when I wake up.

Yes. I've had 2 moto x's and battery life was great as well. The first one had really bad sound before the update and i was hoping for a good one, nyet. lol. The 2nd one i broke and then moto lost it when i sent it in for repair. That's how i know something up with this one.

Cool, cuz it doesn't sound like i do as much as you do, so i still shouldn't be having this issue. Gonna try 2 more efforts to fix, and am trying to text them now to do an RMA.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glda19