Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DS1331
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Question About Sim Card/Device Swapping

I have my original Moto X. I just ordered my Motomaker version. Both were done off-contract. A friend of mine is buying my original X. Both Motos are on Verizon.

What I don't know is the best way to handle the device swap with the SIM card(s). Below are some questions I hope you more experience folks can help answer for me.

1. Should I just activate the new X with the new SIM?
    2. Should I take the original SIM and put it in the new X?
    3. If I move my original SIM to the new X, will my friend be able to use the new SIM and activate it to his account as his device or should he get a new SIM from the local store?
    4. If I move my original SIM to the new X, does that copy over the contacts or any other info? Or should I not really worry since that is backed up on my Google account? What really is "held" on the SIM?

I appreciate any and all help/advice!
    Last edited by jephanie; 12-04-2013 at 11:12 PM.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: Question About Sim Card/Device Swapping

No one?

At all?

Bueller?

Bueller?

Just use the old sim in the new X and give him the new sim with the old phone. Nothings stored on the sim unless you specifically chose so. If everyrgings backed up to you're Google account that's perfect

Q10, HTC One, Nexus 7, Moto X
    Thanked by:

I didn't know people still use the bueller line lol

jephanie likes this.
    tgp

Global Posts
    1,776 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jephanie View Post
    I have my original Moto X. I just ordered my Motomaker version. Both were done off-contract. A friend of mine is buying my original X.

What I don't know is the best way to handle the device swap with the SIM card(s). Below are some questions I hope you more experience folks can help answer for me.

3. If I move my original SIM to the new X, will my friend be able to use the new SIM and activate it to his account as his device or should he get a new SIM from the local store?
    4. If I move my original SIM to the new X, does that copy over the contacts or any other info? Or should I not really worry since that is backed up on my Google account? What really is "held" on the SIM?

I don't see anywhere where you said which carrier you're on. If it's T-Mobile or AT&T then you don't actually activate the phones. You simply insert the desired SIM card and you're up and running.
    I have a Nexus 4, an iPhone 5, and a Lumia 520, and I like them all. Is something wrong with me? (I really should edit my signature sometime. I have only 1 of these 3 phones anymore, and even that one is mostly unused because it's been superseded by its big brother!)
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by tgp View Post
    I don't see anywhere where you said which carrier you're on. If it's T-Mobile or AT&T then you don't actually activate the phones. You simply insert the desired SIM card and you're up and running.
    Didn't realize that mattered so that's a great question. I'm on Verizon.

Oh Verizon? That's a completely different story lol

8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by DS1331 View Post
    Oh Verizon? That's a completely different story lol

How so? The black and Motomaker versions are both Verizon.

Quote Originally Posted by jephanie View Post
    I have my original Moto X. I just ordered my Motomaker version. Both were done off-contract. A friend of mine is buying my original X. Both Motos are on Verizon.

I'd just take the original SIM and put it in the new X. There may be some contact info on the SIM if they are locally stored. At least on my old feature phones, that's the impression I had that the contacts were stored on the SIM. That's why I destroyed the SIM's after I got rid of the phone.
    Thanked by:

Just switch sims. Nothing to it. Verizon stores nothing on their sims.

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:

Verizon Sims are just for their 4g lte connection correct?

Sorta. Somehow they pull in tower updates for the 3g radios with it also. Black majic? Thats why you don't need to manually update anymore. Remember *228. The short answer is yes. Its pretty rare for any carrier ro use sim card storage anymore. Not a lot of room in there. Thats from a time when a 2mb CF card was huge and phones flipped imagine a phone that could fit one of those cards.

Thanked by:
    DS1331 

I swap Sims on 3 different Verizon 4g phones whenever I feel like it and have NEVER dealt with Verizon..
    Just keep your old sim card and put in your new moto x and you'll be good:-)

Sent from my ROOTED HTC DROID DNA - -
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts

You can put your existing SIM in the new Moto X. I've swapped from an HTC 8X Windows Phone to a Droid RAZR with no problem and no need to contact Verizon to do it. The only time you'll need Verizon's help is if the target phone uses a different size SIM than your original phone. In your case, Moto X to Moto X so no problem. Enjoy!
    Thanked by:

Heck. Don't even need their help then. You can self service the sims on the My Verizon website as long as your eyes are good enough to read the numbers on them. Had to keep doing that on hotspot and a usb dongle because one was full sized and one was mini. Not a problem anymore. Lost the dongle ; )