Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Paul627g
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

Default Sideload Updated Nexus 5 Camera?

Loving my Moto X (returned the Nexus 5 for it). And while the camera is much more functional/faster than the nexus camera in its current state, it still leaves a bit to be desired in color balance/accuracy among other things. A great shooter but based on the news this morning of the coming nexus 5 updates to the camera, is there a way to sideload the nexus camera on the moto x without root? It seems they might have nailed the coloring and solved the speed issues.

Default Re: Sideload Updated Nexus 5 Camera?

I'm not positive but there might be associated lib files and/or supporting files to the camera software that needs to be included or modified to work properly on devices other than AOSP.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

So what you're saying is that i'd probably need root access to install? Sorry. I'm, uh, new at this.

All depends really.. If its the stand alone camera software app " apk " then there is a good chance it can be sideloaded by enabling Unknown sources for app installs in your Settings. But if it comes down to needing libs modified or something to make it work on the Moto X or other devices then you will need to be rooted.
    Paul

weksa likes this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

Got it! Thank you. Will follow up I guess once that info is available.

Also remember the hardware on the Nexus 5 and Moto X are different. There's no reason to think the changes in 4.4.1 will do ANYTHING to improve the Moto X camera.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

Of course not. I'm not suggesting they will. I'm asking if I can sideload the NEXUS 5 camera application on the moto x. I dont expect 4.4.1 to update/improve the moto x camera application.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnyman View Post
    Also remember the hardware on the Nexus 5 and Moto X are different
    Exactly.. If there are ways to fix whatever issues the Moto X is having camera speaking it will be up to Moto to attempt whatever firmware fixes they can muster up.
    Paul

The camera is the only reason why I haven't bought the Moto X. Other than camera everything else seems fine. Anyone regret buying the X after realizing how bad the camera is?

ROM
    Vicious JB V3/ Franco

Nope. But I'm not too critical of phone cameras either.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fjd726 View Post
    The camera is the only reason why I haven't bought the Moto X. Other than camera everything else seems fine. Anyone regret buying the X after realizing how bad the camera is?
    I've been using Lumia Devices (920 and 1520) and am now on the moto x. Really, the moto x camera is a joy to use. Its super fast, focuses quickly and the controls are intuitive if lacking just a bit. The only thing lacking is a bit of color accuracy and saturation levels. Which, can be easily applied in the stock gallery app. I've set up a quick "filter" with a bump in saturation and a little contrast. Which helps tremendously.

You really cant discount the fact that this camera is so fast to open and shoot and then shoot again. It has to be one of the fastest from load to shoot to reshoot available. Maybe the 5S is comparable in that regard. I just think moto needs to tweak the processing just slighty and then its a really really solid cam.

Nah, I like my shake and bake on my Moto X.. Ill wait for the standalone update bruh

Global Posts
    185 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fjd726 View Post
    I don't regret buying the X, I love it and the shake to turn camera on is really useful. I use it a few times a day. The camera quality leaves a lot to be desired though. Coming from an iPhone 5 and s4..the camera is just OK. Since I won't be taking professional portraits, I can live with it but everyday I'm hoping to get an update that makes the camera awesome but I'm not counting on it.

Posted via Android Central App
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

What say you now that 4.4.1 has been released? Had a chance to look? Would love to be able to sideload this without root.