1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts

Default Any one using moto skip thing

Is anyone using the motto skip gizmo? Any issues with it? I've been thinking of getting it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Default Re: Any one using moto skip thing

I got one yesterday. It seems to work. What kind of issues are you thinking of?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts

Basically how many times it doesn't catch that the phone was tapped against it for unlocking it and how reliable the stickers are. I've read one review about it stating that the 3 RFID stickers you get require the phone to be placed in a certain way against them, and several micro-adjustments maybe required to trigger the RFID tags.

No problem at all, use them on daily basis.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

I guess where my expectations weren't met is that - to me - "tap" implies only momentary contact. My experience is that I hold the back of my phone against Skip for about a second until the phone buzzes and it's unlocked. For instance, I would not be able to run by an NFC-enabled subway turnstile and tap my phone on the the way by. The unlock is more of a tap-and-hold operation.

I haven't tried the stickers yet but I assume they're the same since the Skip is the same tech stuck on a magnet.

I used my skip dots on my desk at home and work for a while when I first got the phone. They worked fine. I could just set the phone on the skip dot and it would stay unlocked. I've since installed the "Delayed Lock" app with the wifi add-on and now my phone just stays unlocked on my home and work wifi networks so I don't need the skip.

I stuck a dot on the dashboard of the car so I could just tap it to unlock while driving. Going a step further, tried sticking the skip dot on my cell phone holder in my car so it would continually contact the back of the phone so the phone would stay unlocked while I was driving. But it didn't seem to work right when the car was in "driving mode" on the Moto Assist app. I can't explain, but it seemed to re-set the skip dot so it wouldn't work, and I'd have to reprogram it. I never really looked at the problem or tried to figure out exactly what was going on though. So I don't know if that was a real problem, idiosyncratic, user error or what. I might mess with that a little because that would be a handy feature. I do like the driving mode so won't disable that except maybe to try the dot again.

I tried to use the magnetic thing once or twice, but my cell phone usage on the go isn't high enough to warrant fussing with remembering to put a gizmo on every morning and keeping track of it Hell I dress very casually, don't even shave or wear a watch, so I'm not one who does much of anything to "get ready" in the morning and the magnetic skip would be totally incongruous with my lifestyle!

Conclusion: the things work just as advertised, and if you have a situation where they'd be handy, they will be.
    Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    87 Global Posts

I did the Moto Skip hack since I already had some NFC tags laying around. They work OK but one thing I'm not sure about is with a real Moto Skip do you have to press the unlock button first? Thats my only grip with the way I did it, and it may just be that the Skip has something from Moto that wakes it up first.

I have one on my desk at work and on my work badge, so as soon as I pull it out of my pocket I push the unlock and touch it to my badge and ta-da unlocked!!!!

Any insight would be great!!

What do you mean by "unlock button"? If my Moto X screen is off and I hold the back of my phone to my Skip it turns it on and unlocks it.

Global Posts
    87 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ScottMGS View Post
    What do you mean by "unlock button"? If my Moto X screen is off and I hold the back of my phone to my Skip it turns it on and unlocks it.
    OK thats what I was thinking! It doesnt work that way with just regular NFC tags
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,207 Global Posts

Skip vs. Skip dots.

With the Skip, the screen can be off.

With the Skip dots, you have to wake the screen first.

Posted via Android Central App
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    87 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    Skip vs. Skip dots.

Does anyone know the difference in the skip and the skip dots (besides the magnet)?

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    Skip vs. Skip dots.

Basically, this. I have had it turn on with the Skip dots but it's not reliable.

I was trying to use the skip dots with the app Trigger (formerly NFC Task Manager.) When I try to set them up, the phone doesn't see them or it starts up the Skip Setup app that sets your lock screen behavior.

Anyone know if I need to buy some blank tags for any purpose other than bypassing the lock screen?

Sent from my Moto X

Quote Originally Posted by Camilo View Post
    I used my skip dots on my desk at home and work for a while when I first got the phone. They worked fine. I could just set the phone on the skip dot and it would stay unlocked. I've since installed the "Delayed Lock" app with the wifi add-on and now my phone just stays unlocked on my home and work wifi networks so I don't need the skip.

I stuck a dot on the dashboard of the car so I could just tap it to unlock while driving. Going a step further, tried sticking the skip dot on my cell phone holder in my car so it would continually contact the back of the phone so the phone would stay unlocked while I was driving. But it didn't seem to work right when the car was in "driving mode" on the Moto Assist app. I can't explain, but it seemed to re-set the skip dot so it wouldn't work, and I'd have to reprogram it. I never really looked at the problem or tried to figure out exactly what was going on though. So I don't know if that was a real problem, idiosyncratic, user error or what. I might mess with that a little because that would be a handy feature. I do like the driving mode so won't disable that except maybe to try the dot again.

I tried to use the magnetic thing once or twice, but my cell phone usage on the go isn't high enough to warrant fussing with remembering to put a gizmo on every morning and keeping track of it Hell I dress very casually, don't even shave or wear a watch, so I'm not one who does much of anything to "get ready" in the morning and the magnetic skip would be totally incongruous with my lifestyle!

Conclusion: the things work just as advertised, and if you have a situation where they'd be handy, they will be.
    I use the skip dot in the car holder to turn it on when I dock it then it switches to trusted Bluetooth once I start moving to keep it on.

Quote Originally Posted by dmark44 View Post
    I was trying to use the skip dots with the app Trigger (formerly NFC Task Manager.) When I try to set them up, the phone doesn't see them or it starts up the Skip Setup app that sets your lock screen behavior.

Anyone know if I need to buy some blank tags for any purpose other than bypassing the lock screen?

Sent from my Moto X
    I have been trying the same thing and it seems like the SKIP Dots can only be used to unlock the phone. It doesn't seem like they can be used like a normal NFC to work with something like Trigger. I'm looking around to see if there is a hack, but I haven't found anything yet.

Basically, this. I have had it turn on with the Skip dots but it's not reliable.
    Even the magnetic skip has been quite unreliable for me with the screen off. After a fresh reboot, it seems to work great, but if the phone has been on a while, it's spotty. And even with the screen on, there's sometimes a notable delay and/or I have to move it around a bit for it to detect the magnetic tag and unlock.

Quote Originally Posted by str8bucs View Post
    OK thats what I was thinking! It doesnt work that way with just regular NFC tags
    The actual Skip has a magnet and the magnet wakes up the Moto X and allows the NFC tag (within the Skip) to unlock the phone.

I have a on again/off again relationship with the Skip. I'll use it for a week or two and then stop using it and then start using it again, etc....

I tend to use it mainly at work. I put the Skip on my opposite shirt sleeve cuff and then tap the phone and unlock.
    ---
    Proud owner of a Moto X, Nexus 7, and Nexus 10.

So I need to buy generic NFC tags if I want to program them to do other tasks? It won't let me program the skip tags like you said the skip manager stars. Anyone have luck programming NFC tags on the Moto X?

This sounds like a neat idea, but unless you are in some sort of life or death situation where 1-2 seconds is going to matter, I don't see the usefulness of Skip. Just set your phone to never sleep if immediacy is such a concern.
    Last edited by Roger Gibbens; 12-20-2013 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Left out a word.

Global Posts
    73 Global Posts

I haven't found them that useful. The Face Unlock works so well on the Moto-X I've switched to using that full time.
    Thanked by:
    asdrew 
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,207 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bigbot45 View Post
    I haven't found them that useful. The Face Unlock works so well on the Moto-X I've switched to using that full time.
    The only person I've seen say they use Face Unlock. lol
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jellybean

I use the Skip all the time. In fact, I lost my magnetic Skip Christmas shopping and now I just use the remaining Skip dots on my desk and stuff. I really like it for when I'm sitting at my desk, but with Trusted Bluetooth it isn't a necessity.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbot45 View Post
    Thanks, way cooler and easier than other methods. Only if I get murdered for my X all the villain has to do is point it at my lifeless face