1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default android 4.4.1 for moto x - maybe / hopefully coming soon?

Hey all, lots of buzz over the new android 4.4.1 and the fixes for the nexus 5 camera and other improvements.
    Too soon to even think about this coming "anytime soon" for the Moto X ? My Moto X is the first android phone I have owned and I am still in the
    iphone update mindset which I am well aware on the android platform it is mostly dependent on the carriers if you are not using a nexus 5.

Doug

Default Re: android 4.4.1 for moto x - maybe / hopefully coming soon?

It doesn't improve much outside of the Nexus 5 camera, speaker & haptic feedback so I wouldn't expect it on other devices anytime soon.

Other things it "fixes":
    -"Photos" now the default gallery app when swiping out of the Camera app
    -Bug that left the notification bar partly opaque has been fixed
    -Bug causing low quality output from internal speaker in certain apps has been fixed (N5 only)
    -Cell/Wifi/battery icons in the notification bar are now aligned properly
    -Certain apps (e.g. WhatsApp) that were broken on ART before seem to work
    -Option for 4G/LTE under Mobile Data now shows "recommended."
    -LED pulses more frequently for regular notifications (e.g. Gmail)
    -Wireless display now called 'Cast screen'
    -Few new toggles in the "Power Controls" Widget
    -Settings icon in the Notification Toggles matches the Settings icon (an additional circle in the center of the icon)

So other than the "ART" fix (which I doubt Google is ready to make a big push with), it's mostly pretty minor stuff for devices outside of the Nexus 5.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    122 Global Posts

Its supposed to fix the Exchange Activesync mess which is more important to corporate users than the camera

Quote Originally Posted by ddorbuck View Post
    Hey all, lots of buzz over the new android 4.4.1 and the fixes for the nexus 5 camera and other improvements.
    Too soon to even think about this coming "anytime soon" for the Moto X ? My Moto X is the first android phone I have owned and I am still in the
    iphone update mindset which I am well aware on the android platform it is mostly dependent on the carriers if you are not using a nexus 5.

Doug
    i would expect it in couple of weeks... since this is minor bugfix update carrier wont take long
    Fancy A Break From Your iPhone? Have an Android Kit Kat

my email exchange doesnt work well on 4.4, had to revert to 4.2.2
    doesnt look like it got fixed in 4.4.1

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

Plenty are reporting much better standby time as well. Which will go a long way in improving battery life considering most with battery issues report "android OS" as being the culprit of the drain. Looking forward to the update actually.

Though most dont seem to understand that the fixes to the Nexus camera in this update have nothing to do with the Moto X camera. We wont be seeing any of those benefits - unless moto decides to update their own camera (which they need another fix - colors are off and though its capable of taking great low light shots, theres too much noise and too much light in most any shot you try to get).

Global Posts
    289 Global Posts

I'd been expecting there'd be a maintenance update around 2 months from now (just a gut feeling, no rumors that I've heard or anything), so this is a good opportunity to do that.

Anyone know how many phones Motorola is actively updating? It's nice that Moto X is getting all the love right now, but I assume that will slow down a little as their attention turns to other devices as well.