Republic Wireless + Moto X Review

michaels_epp

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Two years ago Rpeublic Wireless rocked the headlines with its unlimited smartphone plan for only $20 a month. Sadly their phones were medicore at best and didn't meet the standards of many potential (including me) customers. Fast forward to earlier this fall Republic once again topped the tech sites and brought on flocks of customers waiting eagerly for there new Moto. I have had my phone since the seat after launch and I'm here to answer the biggest question. Is it worth it?
Purchase Experience:
After seemingly years after Republic first announced the Moto I received the email: The Moto was available to purchase. I tried purchasing later that evening but the site was down so I had to impatiently wait to try again the next morning. Other then that the purchase was peachy. I got my Moto (and a short!) the next Thursday.
The Phone:
Screen: The screen is spectacular. Besides its relatively low resalution (that you can't even notice) it easily passed my screen test. I was/am mostly upgraded with the black's. They really are black, in a dark room I can't see where the screen ends and the begins. Yes, it's that good.
Performance: The Moto is also good in this respect. I was a little worried with its ageing processor on how it would perform but I am impressed. It's smoothly moves through homescreens and apps load quickly. It easily tackles any game I throw at it including Shadowgun: Deadzone and Riptide GP 2.
Active Notifications: I love this. You have no idea how much you hate pushing a power button to see the time before you get this phone. I'm not even kidding. Also a gently pulsing icon saying that I have a text can early catch my attention. I do have one problem that makes the screen flash red after the time pulses off but Republic is sending me a replcacement.
Touchless Controls: This is by far the most dissapointing aspect of this phones. I expected amazing and I got subpar in response. The Moto can't here me when it's in my pocket but it can here random people in fancy places *cough* Mcdonalds *cough*. I also just don't see the point of it so I have it turned off.
Camera: Both of the cameras are spectacular for the occasional Snapchat selfie and Instagram pics. The flick to open camera feature gets used every day. I only wish it was available for other camera.
The Service:
Customer Service: Not much to say about this. On Facebook they quickly sneer questions. On their request area place thingy on the site the answer usually within three days. They also are sending me a replacement phone becuase of my Active Display problem.
Phone Service: In small town Minnesota I have better service than I've had with either Tmobile and AT&T. 3G speeds are plenty fast for occasional web browsing just don't try streaming videos or music.
WiFi Technology: Everything works great. Switching between cell and WiFi is seamless on both ends and texts never fail to go through. I'm pretty happy about the added MMS support with all major carriers.
The Bottom Line:
If you are 99% of America I'd say to get this phone and plan. If you need texts that include shortcode or can't stand Sprints coverage then skip. The phone is great, the WiFi hybrid technology is great,, and the Facebook managers have a sense of humor. I'm paying $10 a month for unlimited talk and text. That's a steal of a deal.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I love my Moto X. The last time I looked at Republic, the coverage wasn't there for me, but the pricing sounds like it is a steal.

brewynz

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I tried the Moto X on RW for three weeks. The phone was fantastic, and the switching between wifi and cellular was flawless for me. The problem I had was multiple dropped and garbled phone calls related to my work. Unfortunately I needed better cellular coverage. Packaging that phone up to send back was heartbreaking, but it was the right call for me.

jeremmar

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the great review. I am in the trial period with RW and the moto x. I have noticed that even with 4/6 bars of 3g signal strength, a speed test reveals only 0.13 Mbps download. That seems horribly slow. Other times I get 0.22 Mbps etc... Does anyone else have these problems? Is it the phone? A similar At&t signal got my nexus 4 around 4.0,Mbps download.

Posted via Android Central App

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the great review. I am in the trial period with RW and the moto x. I have noticed that even with 4/6 bars of 3g signal strength, a speed test reveals only 0.13 Mbps download. That seems horribly slow. Other times I get 0.22 Mbps etc... Does anyone else have these problems? Is it the phone? A similar At&t signal got my nexus 4 around 4.0,Mbps download.

It's not the phone. It's the service. Republic Wireless uses Sprint. You're probably not going to get AT&T speeds.

achiquitachaser

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
unfortunately with most MVNOs your 3g speeds are usually slower than normal. The 4g plan will get you about 8-9mbs download.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2

jeremmar

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone had problems with the camera on the moto x with RW?? The pictures that I send out on MMS are horrible! Even in great lighting the pictures are grainy grainy grainy! They look fine on the moto x in the gallery, but when I send them via text, they are embarrassing. Any suggestions?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

KitN

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I just received my Republic Wireless Moto X. The phone is really nice but I'm not liking the 4.2.2 old-*** version of Android when almost all other carriers and unlocked Moto X's are on 4.4.2. Lagging behind on OS updates is an understatement with the RW Moto X but outside of Google Wallet/Tap & Pay not working at all, it's serviceable.

RW needs to seriously work on their switching algorithm. The phone is far too aggressive in switching you from WIFI onto Cellular. And I notice it's a one-way-street: you cane switch from Cellular to WiFi; only WiFi to Cellular. (Please correct me if I"m wrong but I've tried and tried and it wont let me switch back to WiFi.)

Not even a full day into my trial so I cant say much beyond that but I still have high hopes for this phone and Republic Wireless' service. I pray neither disappoint.

Tech First

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
unfortunately with most MVNOs your 3g speeds are usually slower than normal. The 4g plan will get you about 8-9mbs download.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2

I was actually getting up to 16 mbs on the 4G/LTE plan, coverage is pretty limited though so I normally end up on the painfully slow 3G at sub .5 mbs speeds.

KitN

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Nearly a dozen dropped calls. The phone just hangs up. Not so good.

Got sick of being forced immediately into cellular 20 seconds into a full signal strength WiFi call that when at home I always have the phone in Airplane Mode and re-enable WIFI so there's no way it can switch to cellular.

Sent from my Moto X

jeremmar

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Nearly a dozen dropped calls. The phone just hangs up. Not so good.

Got sick of being forced immediately into cellular 20 seconds into a full signal strength WiFi call that when at home I always have the phone in Airplane Mode and re-enable WIFI so there's no way it can switch to cellular.

Sent from my Moto X

I have had some problems with dropped calls too while on the Sprint network. Even while having really good signal strength.

jeremmar

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I think I am able to put a few things together with my picture quality of MMS texts. Just found out that when I send the pic message via text to a Sprint phone it comes through crystal clear, but when sent to an at&t service, it is grainy and fuzzy, just bad.

Maybe if sent to those in CDMA it will have a good quality, and if sent to someone on a GSM it will have very poor quality. This is my theory.
Has anyone else ran into this sort of thing or taken notice? Or is my phone just quirky?

achiquitachaser

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
I have to say my experience so far has been pretty positive. However with this service I would always have either the $25 or $40 3g/4gt plans enabled. I tried the $10 plan and just used data on wifi and noticed the phone would be very buggy. Slow to connect calls, everything on the phone tries to use the internet of course. But all in all it is a pretty good service for the price

I think I am able to put a few things together with my picture quality of MMS texts. Just found out that when I send the pic message via text to a Sprint phone it comes through crystal clear, but when sent to an at&t service, it is grainy and fuzzy, just bad.

Maybe if sent to those in CDMA it will have a good quality, and if sent to someone on a GSM it will have very poor quality. This is my theory.
Has anyone else ran into this sort of thing or taken notice? Or is my phone just quirky?

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
Do you guys know if you have the 3g/4g plan if you can use the Moto to tether? Fox fi works with 4.2.2

Sent from my Moto X

blacksapphire08

May 2, 2010
Visit site

Its Sprint and their horrible data coverage. When i got my first smartphone on Sprint back in 2009 speeds were decent, around 1-2Mbps down but they kept falling and they didnt seem to care. I left for T-Mobile and havent looked back. The Moto X gets fantastic reception, even better than my last phone (HTC Amaze).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20