I've owned nearly all of the high-end smartphones, here are my thoughts. (Hint: Moto X is best)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bd1212

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Needless to say, I have not been satisfied with any other smartphone as much as I have been with the Moto X. In chronological order in the past three months up to today, I've owned the iPhone 5s, LG G2, Moto X, Note 3, another LG G2, and I'm coming back to the Moto X. I've listed my reasons below in hopes that other who are on the fence might see this and have an easier time making their decision. Before I start, I want to make it clear that I am a heavy user, so your use cases might be a bit different from mine. Generally, on Android devices I use about 5-7 hours of screen-on time (ranging brightness values depending on time of day) with 14-18 hours unplugged. The same use was given to the iPhone, but screen-on time and usage are displayed differently in iOS. Anyways, onto my observations with each device.

iPhone 5s: This was a seriously awesome device, but it had poor battery life. I couldn't even make it from 7am - 2pm before I needed to recharge. I had also used an iPhone 5 for a short period of time earlier this year and battery life was sometimes comparable, sometimes worse, and sometimes better, so take that for what it's worth. However, if battery life isn't a big concern to you and you don't mind a smaller display, get this phone. It's extremely fast, the camera took incredible shots and the camera features, such as slow-motion video, worked beautifully. Honestly, out of all of the devices I've used in the past few months, this had the best camera.

LG G2: I really liked this phone; battery life was great, it was fast, and the screen was beautiful. I did not like the slippery, glossy plastic back, and I did not like the crappy buttons on the back (this was the Verizon model, so the buttons are tiny and flush and there is no way of differentiating between which button was being pressed without looking, this is not an issue with the other carrier models). The camera was so-so. It wasn't the fastest, and it didn't take the best pictures, but it was pretty good for the most part and took excellent daytime pictures, but then again almost any phone can do that with ease. Battery life ranged from very good to incredible. On the stock LG ROM battery life was very good. I could average 5.5-6 hours of screen-on time with 14-16 hours of usage and easily get through the day. Battery life was incredible on an AOSP based ROM (like CyanogenMod) and I could easily get 6.5-7 hours of screen-on time with 18-20 hours of usage. Simply incredible. Now, you may have noticed that I owned two of these. Why? Well, because the G2, while an awesome device, has an AWFUL, absolutely AWFUL GPS chip. It's very slow to get a lock and stay on track when navigating, and almost never gets a lock that's closer than "within" 30-50 feet." While that might not sound bad, it makes navigation nearly impossible since you aren't told when to turn or take an exit at the right time, or it'll just lose your location completely. Returned my first G2 for this reason and got another one about two months later hoping it'd been fixed. NOPE. Still an issue. Returning my second G2 in a few days.

Moto X: So, I ordered the Moto X in mid-November after Moto Maker was available for VZW. I went in not really knowing whether I'd love it or hate it, but nevertheless, I was very excited after only good things from owners. I took delivery a few days later and over the course of two weeks or so, I fell in love with it. It was very fast and never lagged, battery life was excellent and could last me through the entire day (7am-9pm) with no problem with about 5-5.5 hours of screen-on time (amazing for this small of a phone with such a tiny battery). Active display was by far my favorite feature, with Touchless Controls and the twist-to-open-camera gesture tied for second. Every single feature actually made the phone more useful. I got this phone immediately after the G2, so I put GPS to the test and it was a night and day difference. The Moto X had no issue navigating me around and was easily able to get a lock within 5 feet of where I was at all times, even indoors. About a week after I took delivery, the Moto X got KitKat. At first, I hated it. Battery life and performance took a nosedive. I was extremely disappointed and didn't know whether I should keep it, so I began looking at other phones (this led me to my Note 3 purchase, but I'll talk about that later), but after a few days of letting everything settle in, battery life and performance normalized and were back to how it was prior to the update. Sadly, my Moto X was defective and the vibration motor broke and I had to send it back for repair. Just a day after sending it in, Motorola announced their Cyber Monday sale. I immediately called to request a refund instead of a repair. In the end, I missed out on the Wednesday discount code, so I'll be placing a new order tomorrow. Other than that slight mishap though, the device was amazing and I had no complaints. Camera was just fine and everything else was nearly perfect. Anyways, onto my next device...

Note 3: I had ordered this when my Moto X had begun acting weird after the KitKat update. Luckily, I was able to get this for a very, very cheap price so I figured I'd give it a try since I'd always been interested in trying a phablet. In the end, it wasn't that great. I didn't really have a use for the S-Pen, I still hated Touchwiz (after coming from my Galaxy S4), the phone was just way too big, and the battery life was not that great and I got better battery life from both the Moto X and the G2. The camera was worse than on my Galaxy S4, which had an excellent camera. Pictures weren't as detailed and shots were just not as good... not really sure why there was such a big difference considering the Note 3 and S4 have the same camera sensor, but it was undoubtedly worse. Lastly, it would still stutter for seemingly no reason. With such incredible specs I was disappointed to see dropped frames and stutters just from doing basic things such as pulling down the notification bar, scrolling through home screens/app pages, etc. It was unacceptable. Sold this after 5 days.

In the end, none of these devices were as well-rounded as the Moto X; they all suffered in one way or another. The Moto X, while not a perfect device, offered the best of nearly everything that each of these phones had to offer: amazing speed and fluidity with no lag, battery life that could easily get me through the day, and features that actually enhanced the user experience. It didn't have the best camera or the best display, but they were still both very good IMO.

TL;DR: iPhone 5s was great, but battery life sucked. G2 was awesome with great battery life, but had major GPS issues, which is something I use quite frequently. Note 3 was just too big, too bloated, didn't have good battery life, and the camera was decent. Moto X was pretty much perfect, but mine had a defect and had to be returned, but I am now returning to it after using all of these past devices. It's just that good.

Hopefully this will help other users who are having trouble deciding on what device to buy. Let me know if you guys have any questions, I'd be happy to answer any.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Hey, nice post. Nice to get sometimes opinion that's had the devices

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

androidatic

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I've always wondered how people can go through that many devices when paying full price for a phone. I wish I had that kind of cash!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Jay Sacks

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Needless to say, I have not been satisfied with any other smartphone as much as I have been with the Moto X. In chronological order in the past three months up to today, I've owned the iPhone 5s, LG G2, Moto X, Note 3, another LG G2, and I'm coming back to the Moto X. I've listed my reasons below in hopes that other who are on the fence might see this and have an easier time making their decision. Before I start, I want to make it clear that I am a heavy user, so your use cases might be a bit different from mine. Generally, on Android devices I use about 5-7 hours of screen-on time (ranging brightness values depending on time of day) with 14-18 hours unplugged. The same use was given to the iPhone, but screen-on time and usage are displayed differently in iOS. Anyways, onto my observations with each device.

iPhone 5s: This was a seriously awesome device, but it had poor battery life. I couldn't even make it from 7am - 2pm before I needed to recharge. I had also used an iPhone 5 for a short period of time earlier this year and battery life was sometimes comparable, sometimes worse, and sometimes better, so take that for what it's worth. However, if battery life isn't a big concern to you and you don't mind a smaller display, get this phone. It's extremely fast, the camera took incredible shots and the camera features, such as slow-motion video, worked beautifully. Honestly, out of all of the devices I've used in the past few months, this had the best camera.

LG G2: I really liked this phone; battery life was great, it was fast, and the screen was beautiful. I did not like the slippery, glossy plastic back, and I did not like the crappy buttons on the back (this was the Verizon model, so the buttons are tiny and flush and there is no way of differentiating between which button was being pressed without looking, this is not an issue with the other carrier models). The camera was so-so. It wasn't the fastest, and it didn't take the best pictures, but it was pretty good for the most part and took excellent daytime pictures, but then again almost any phone can do that with ease. Battery life ranged from very good to incredible. On the stock LG ROM battery life was very good. I could average 5.5-6 hours of screen-on time with 14-16 hours of usage and easily get through the day. Battery life was incredible on an AOSP based ROM (like CyanogenMod) and I could easily get 6.5-7 hours of screen-on time with 18-20 hours of usage. Simply incredible. Now, you may have noticed that I owned two of these. Why? Well, because the G2, while an awesome device, has an AWFUL, absolutely AWFUL GPS chip. It's very slow to get a lock and stay on track when navigating, and almost never gets a lock that's closer than "within" 30-50 feet." While that might not sound bad, it makes navigation nearly impossible since you aren't told when to turn or take an exit at the right time, or it'll just lose your location completely. Returned my first G2 for this reason and got another one about two months later hoping it'd been fixed. NOPE. Still an issue. Returning my second G2 in a few days.

Moto X: So, I ordered the Moto X in mid-November after Moto Maker was available for VZW. I went in not really knowing whether I'd love it or hate it, but nevertheless, I was very excited after only good things from owners. I took delivery a few days later and over the course of two weeks or so, I fell in love with it. It was very fast and never lagged, battery life was excellent and could last me through the entire day (7am-9pm) with no problem with about 5-5.5 hours of screen-on time (amazing for this small of a phone with such a tiny battery). Active display was by far my favorite feature, with Touchless Controls and the twist-to-open-camera gesture tied for second. Every single feature actually made the phone more useful. I got this phone immediately after the G2, so I put GPS to the test and it was a night and day difference. The Moto X had no issue navigating me around and was easily able to get a lock within 5 feet of where I was at all times, even indoors. About a week after I took delivery, the Moto X got KitKat. At first, I hated it. Battery life and performance took a nosedive. I was extremely disappointed and didn't know whether I should keep it, so I began looking at other phones (this led me to my Note 3 purchase, but I'll talk about that later), but after a few days of letting everything settle in, battery life and performance normalized and were back to how it was prior to the update. Sadly, my Moto X was defective and the vibration motor broke and I had to send it back for repair. Just a day after sending it in, Motorola announced their Cyber Monday sale. I immediately called to request a refund instead of a repair. In the end, I missed out on the Wednesday discount code, so I'll be placing a new order tomorrow. Other than that slight mishap though, the device was amazing and I had no complaints. Camera was just fine and everything else was nearly perfect. Anyways, onto my next device...

Note 3: I had ordered this when my Moto X had begun acting weird after the KitKat update. Luckily, I was able to get this for a very, very cheap price so I figured I'd give it a try since I'd always been interested in trying a phablet. In the end, it wasn't that great. I didn't really have a use for the S-Pen, I still hated Touchwiz (after coming from my Galaxy S4), the phone was just way too big, and the battery life was not that great and I got better battery life from both the Moto X and the G2. The camera was worse than on my Galaxy S4, which had an excellent camera. Pictures weren't as detailed and shots were just not as good... not really sure why there was such a big difference considering the Note 3 and S4 have the same camera sensor, but it was undoubtedly worse. Lastly, it would still stutter for seemingly no reason. With such incredible specs I was disappointed to see dropped frames and stutters just from doing basic things such as pulling down the notification bar, scrolling through home screens/app pages, etc. It was unacceptable. Sold this after 5 days.

In the end, none of these devices were as well-rounded as the Moto X; they all suffered in one way or another. The Moto X, while not a perfect device, offered the best of nearly everything that each of these phones had to offer: amazing speed and fluidity with no lag, battery life that could easily get me through the day, and features that actually enhanced the user experience. It didn't have the best camera or the best display, but they were still both very good IMO.

TL;DR: iPhone 5s was great, but battery life sucked. G2 was awesome with great battery life, but had major GPS issues, which is something I use quite frequently. Note 3 was just too big, too bloated, didn't have good battery life, and the camera was decent. Moto X was pretty much perfect, but mine had a defect and had to be returned, but I am now returning to it after using all of these past devices. It's just that good.

Hopefully this will help other users who are having trouble deciding on what device to buy. Let me know if you guys have any questions, I'd be happy to answer any.

Too bad you missed the Droid Maxx...everything the X has with a killer battery.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using AC Forums mobile app

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I've always wondered how people can go through that many devices when paying full price for a phone. I wish I had that kind of cash!

Very rarely does anyone just buy multiple devices at full price. Most of the time through trades, or buying and selling, you can go from phone to phone and rarely lose any money.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Sophos

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Very rarely does anyone just buy multiple devices at full price. Most of the time through trades, or buying and selling, you can go from phone to phone and rarely lose any money.

This. I've had at least this many devices in the past three months and I always swap for the next or sell then buy.

CTO/Swappa/Clist FTW :)

Also, to the op, thx for posting this. I've got a DevEd Moto X on the way & am excited to give it a whirl!

Posted via Android Central App

bd1212

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Interesting write up. What carrier do you have?

I'm on Verizon.

Just a benhmadison said, I rarely ever buy them full price from the carriers, and when I do it's only because they're on sale. Believe it or not, I've actually made money throughout testing all of these devices. I usually will buy and resell and make a slight profit, but I do have to admit that it is annoying not sticking with one device, although that'll be changing when I get the Moto X (again). It's really annoying too because I'm currently in college living at a dorm so whenever I sell a phone and ship it out I have to go home and package it up and ship it off then go without a device till another one gets delivered lol. My friends also think I'm crazy since I haven't owned a phone for more than two weeks in about 2-3 months now. The way I see it, if I'm paying $500+ for a phone, I better absolutely love it. I'm not just gonna throw down $500+ and say "oh well, GPS doesn't work, but I might as well keep it...", that's just not acceptable to me.

Too bad you missed the Droid Maxx...everything the X has with a killer battery.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using AC Forums mobile app

That's honestly the one phone I wish I got to try out and I'm disappointed that I wasn't able to try it. It's just too expensive off-contract and I would've easily lost quite a bit of money had I purchased that. I really, really struggled with whether I wanted to buy a Droid MAXX or a Moto X and honestly I'm still deciding if the price difference is worth it. I was even considering trading in one of my backup iPhone 4's to help off-set the price and hopefully knock it down to $399 off-contract (Verizon will give $100 trade in credit for iPhone 4's). Still debating, because the Droid MAXX looks like a beast of a phone. Battery life, performance, and user experience trump 1080p displays IMHO, so the 720p display on the Moto X/Droid MAXX are perfectly acceptable to me. I've also contemplated testing the HTC One out, but the poor battery life, weird button layout, and huge bezels with a not-so-big display, aren't worth taking the plunge and potentially losing money.

Exactly. Especially from Verizon because of their annoying restocking fee. If I buy from VZW it's because they're having a sale and have dropped the off-contract price, or because I know that I won't be returning it and taking a $35 loss.

This. I've had at least this many devices in the past three months and I always swap for the next or sell then buy.

CTO/Swappa/Clist FTW :)

Also, to the op, thx for posting this. I've got a DevEd Moto X on the way & am excited to give it a whirl!

Posted via Android Central App

Swappa/Craigslist FTW!! If I hadn't used the Moto X, I probably would've just bought a cheap iPhone 4S off of Swappa to hold me over until the next-gen phones are out. When I'm shelling out $500+ for a phone, I expect it to at least give good battery life, work properly without having any faulty parts (ex. GPS), and perform without lagging. I don't think that's too much to ask for, but maybe that's just me.

jaleesag88

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
I just traded my s4 for the x and so far so good....but I've only had it for a couple hours now and haven't had time to play with it yet. But so far I love the screen size! the s4 was a touch too big and the iPhone is a little too small...I think this size is perfect.

Sent from my XT1058 using AC Forums mobile app

ericizzy1

May 17, 2010
Visit site
But I had to plug my X in 3 times a day. Returned it to see if any updates improve the battery life to pre-kit kat levels.

dude, i dont know what you are doing to your phone, but im a heavy user and battery life on the x is just great. and i can actually use it one handed too.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Great write up. I have used a lot of phones as well and I love the Moto X. I have not done a write up yet since I have only had the phone for two days. I did put the phone through it's paces this weekend though. I have zero complaints at this point. Battery life is great. I charged it up yesterday morning and plugged it back in about 20 hours later with 30% left and having about three and a half hours of screen on time. I had a mix of uses throughout the day. Very impressed with day one anyway.

Sent from my Moto X

phositadc

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Exactly. Especially from Verizon because of their annoying restocking fee. If I buy from VZW it's because they're having a sale and have dropped the off-contract price, or because I know that I won't be returning it and taking a $35 loss.

Broseph you realize you don't pay restocking fee if it's defective right? So like light bleed, dead pixels, screwed up GPS... all reasons vzw should take a phone back with no restocking fee.

Sent from my XT1053

androidatic

May 7, 2010
Visit site
There's a lot of good info in the OP. It's seems like the X is good at a great many things. I can't wait to get mine this week.

drvier8

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
dude, i dont know what you are doing to your phone, but im a heavy user and battery life on the x is just great. and i can actually use it one handed too.
Before KK update, I could go 7am to 11pm with my usage and have 20% left. After KK, I was getting battery warnings at 3pm. Nothing else changed. I could get a bit better if I started turning off everything I want to phone to do, but even then, it was only making it to 6pm. And with KK, I couldn't run Wakelock Detector or GSAM battery to find out what was going on. Spoke to Moto and did their suggestions. Did a factory reset. Did all the tips I could find. Nothing improved. Hit day 13, so I returned it before I was stuck with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.