Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default radio strength compared to GS3 or Iphone

Can anyone comment on the signal quality? There are a couple areas where people can get a Verizon signal with their iphones and I can't text or keep a call because the signal is so poor (on my GS3). Do you think the Moto X will be better? Thanks

Default Re: radio strength compared to GS3 or Iphone

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy5111 View Post
    Do you think the Moto X will be better? Thanks
    Yes.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Can anyone comment on the signal quality? There are a couple areas where people can get a Verizon signal with their iphones and I can't text or keep a call because the signal is so poor (on my GS3). Do you think the Moto X will be better? Thanks
    Moto X will be 1000x better than the GS3, and 100x better then the iPhones.
    Thanked by:

No 1st hand knowledge on my part, but from everything I've read in these forums was that the GS3 radios had a pretty poor reputation. Moto X should be a definite upgrade

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    6,689 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus(AOKP-jb_4.2.1)

Yup I get a better signal on my Moto X then I did my S3.
    Also I have been in the same area delivering parts with both phones.I had a dropped call on my S3 ,but with the Moto X same area no problems.
    Thanked by:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Thanks Everyone, I guess I just need to decide whether I get the 16 GB or 32 GB version. Thanks for all the great responses.

It is way better, I had a -107dBm with my GS4 and now I get a -95dBm at home here in Chicago. Big difference for me!
    Blackberry Storm 1> Blackberry Storm 2> Samsung Mesmerize>Motorola Electrify>AT&T SG3>AT&T SG4> AT&T Optimus G Pro>AT&T LG G2

Global Posts
    24 Global Posts

Its been said multiple times already, but consider Motorola's history as a manufacturer. They were pioneers in wireless communication. While they've had a rocky road at times with various phone models, one thing they typically do very well is the radios. Best reception I've ever had is with Motorola followed closely by HTC. Conversely, worst reception has been with Samsung phones. With my Moto X I never even think about reception and that's exactly how it should be.

Can't speak to the iPhone cause, well I don't do Apple.

I will have a Verizon Moto X on Wednesday and a GNote 3 and an iPhone 5s on my other 2 lines to compare it to and I am in an area with reception problems. I will post as soon as I get the device.

I have been blown away by the signal strength of the Moto X. Had a Galaxy Nexus before (samsung device) and it's radio sucked. When at my parent's house I would be lucky to get a bar of signal of anything (3g/4g) with the nexus. On the Moto X, I can get 3-4 bars of 4g.

Global Posts
    647 Global Posts

Just to add to what has already been said. I've had a number of Samsung phones over the last couple years and the one thing that was never as good as Motorola was the phone signal. So far my numbers have been better on the Moto X as expected.

Sent from my Moto X

dont ask "if the radio is better" when its made by motorola, thats one thing they are really good at

did u know that the famous word "one small step for man one giant leap for mankind" was spoken from moon via Motorola radio???
    Last edited by still1; 12-09-2013 at 10:13 PM.
    Fancy A Break From Your iPhone? Have an Android Kit Kat
    Thanked by:
    DayThyme likes this.

ROM
    Stock Rooted, ChevyNO1

Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    dont ask "if the radio is better" when its made by motorola, thats one thing they are really good at

did u know that the famous word "one small step for man one giant leap for mankind" was spoken from moon via Motorola radio???
    I see you watched MKBHD's hangout with Dennis Woodside. Lol

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by hobojoe196061 View Post

Or they just knew it. I knew that fact way before that interview. Motorola also made the first cellular phone.

I'm not that suprised by the radios considering all my smartphones have been Moto's.

Global Posts
    87 Global Posts

Yeah I have had better reception on my Moto X than my SG3 & SG4. My sons iPhone gets crappy reception most of the time.

Moto X -104 dbm and note 3 -105 dBm, both on Verizon sitting next to each other.

Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Tysonsaurus View Post
    Moto X -104 dbm and note 3 -105 dBm, both on Verizon sitting next to each other.
    Can you download the speedtest app and compare that? If not, I will do it tomorrow when I get my Moto X. The app uses data so if you don't have unlimited be aware of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tysonsaurus View Post

In this case Moto X is better. isnt it?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hobojoe196061 View Post

Fancy A Break From Your iPhone? Have an Android Kit Kat

Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    In this case Moto X is better. isnt it?
    Doubtful. A difference of 1 dBm is likely within the range of error of the device's measuring capabilities, especially when the signal is that weak.

Well the note 3 is a freakin phablet so I would expect it to have a larger antenna?

Samsung generally have the worst radios of Moto, HTC and LG phones. I've had 2 Galaxy S3's, and friends with Galaxy Nexus and S4 all have bad reception at my house. My family with iPhone get great reception and my old Moto Razr did too.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DayThyme View Post
    Can you download the speedtest app and compare that? If not, I will do it tomorrow when I get my Moto X. The app uses data so if you don't have unlimited be aware of that.
    I can do it tonight when the old lady gets home from work...the moto x is hers.

Thanked by:

Get the Moto.

I had signal issues out of the box with my first S4. First let me say I LOVE the phone. The menu structure and camera are the best.

90% of my use of my phone use is in a rural area, so good signal strength is the most import thing.

Verizon has replaced my Galaxy S4 three times in the last 4 months in an attempt to get a phone with good reception. I have sat side by side with other Verizon customers who were using their phones(motorolas) for calls and for data, yet I had NO signal. I could not make a phone call, send a text or use any data. This has become a constant problem with the S4. It has been the exact same on all three S4 phones. Can anything be done to increase reception?

I am trying very hard not to knock the phone. I absolutely love the menu structure. The menu structure and the camera is why I chose the S4. They are the best out there! Unfortunately, I will not be able to use them and I will have to settle for less.

The last straw. I also have a Verizon MiFi hotspot. I was sitting with Verizon friends who were making calls, texting and surfing the internet (they each had 2 bars of signal strength showing). I had ZERO bars of anything. I turned on the MiFi and it had 4 bars of signal. I connected my S4 to the MiFi via wireless and made my calls using Skype & Magic Jack!! Since then I have noticed that my MiFi will have 4-5 bars when the S4 has 1 or none??

I tried real hard to stay with the S4, but its lack of reception forced me to a different manufacturer's device. I am now on my 4th phone in 5 months. I regretfully traded in my S4 for the Motorola Maxx. Now, I have signal in areas that I had none on the S4. I am able to use my phone now, but I do miss the S4 for its features. The menu, camera and just plain basic functionality on the Maxx is no where as nice as on the S4, but I can make calls where I could not with the S4. Besides being able to use the phone, the battery is the only thing the Maxx has the S4 beat at.

If there is nothing that can be done for an S4, it there a different model Samsung with great rural reception that has a similar menu structure and camera?

Global Posts
    2,077 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by jthead View Post
    Besides being able to use the phone, the battery is the only thing the Maxx has the S4 beat at.
    Plus, no lag on the Maxx, speed, and smoothness. A lot of S4's have lag, no matter how many updates that Samsung sends out.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." - William F. Buckley, Jr.

On a recent trip to relatives who live in a signal-challenged area, both of my family's iPhones were unable to get mobile data. I'm not sure I would have even known there was an issue on my Moto X. I bounced down to 3G a few times, but was on 4G mostly. After they told me they couldn't get signal, I remembered having some issues on the GNex when I had it out there last.

The radios in this are one of the main reasons I bought.
    DayThyme likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast