ordered a t mobile moto x (I'm on att) - put my mind at ease?

omega1300

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
From anyone who's done this, I'm good to go once I get a nano SIM correct? Updates / LTE / everything should work correctly?

So far as I understand it, I should be fine, in fact this is a great way to get fast updates & escape carrier bloat (which is why I did it). I've read exactly that in numerous threads (some of which I've created).

But now that I've placed the order, of course I'm a bit concerned. :)

Thanks all!

Posted via Android Central App

dbam987

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Might need to mess with some network settings such as APN and the like in the mobile network settings. No biggie.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

randall2580

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
The gsm dev edition works on both AT&T and TMobile you might have to get an unlock code though?

phositadc

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
From anyone who's done this, I'm good to go once I get a nano SIM correct? Updates / LTE / everything should work correctly?

So far as I understand it, I should be fine, in fact this is a great way to get fast updates & escape carrier bloat (which is why I did it). I've read exactly that in numerous threads (some of which I've created).

But now that I've placed the order, of course I'm a bit concerned. :)

Thanks all!

You are 100% good to go with a T-Mobile X on AT&T. You won't even have to change the APN. As long as your AT&T SIM card is provisioned for LTE just pop it in and you are golden.

Sent from my XT1053

lembowski

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Since the T-mobile X is sim unlocked with no T-Mobile bloat I would think updates will come to it early since it is not sold from T-mobile directly. I think it got the kitkat update before the AT&T model.

omega1300

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
You are 100% good to go with a T-Mobile X on AT&T. You won't even have to change the APN. As long as your AT&T SIM card is provisioned for LTE just pop it in and you are golden.

Sent from my XT1053

Thanks so much! They've already started building it - can't wait!

Vito2000

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
I got a T-Mobile Moto X for my wife who is coming from an iPhone 4S on At&t. We went to the At&t store last night to get her Moto X activated and they had a hard time activating it. They ended up doing some kind of trickery using an IMEI number from an At&t Moto X that they had in the store. Whatever they did worked, but it was not as straight forward as I thought it would be.

Hopefully that was a fluke and everyone else who was savvy enough to get a T-Mobile phone to use on At&t won't have any problems.

omega1300

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
I got a T-Mobile Moto X for my wife who is coming from an iPhone 4S on At&t. We went to the At&t store last night to get her Moto X activated and they had a hard time activating it. They ended up doing some kind of trickery using an IMEI number from an At&t Moto X that they had in the store. Whatever they did worked, but it was not as straight forward as I thought it would be.

Hopefully that was a fluke and everyone else who was savvy enough to get a T-Mobile phone to use on At&t won't have any problems.

Well that's not what I like to hear....

Should I contact motorola about exchanging for Att version to avoid headaches? :/

zerospace-net

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

No, it isn't a fluke -- it happened to me as well. My best advice would be to take an LTE-enabled AT&T phone with you when you go to get your new nano SIM strictly for the IMEI number. Their network won't recognize the IMEI of the T-mobile Moto X as an LTE data enabled phone, and they won't be able to provision the new SIM properly (you'll have voice but no data). They'll need to use your current AT&T supported phone's IMEI (if you have an AT&T LTE phone) in order to properly provision the new nano SIM. Once they do that, all will be fine. In my case, they had to use my old (and no longer in my possession) SGS3's IMEI in order to get my data plan back for my T-mobile Moto X. After you get the new nano SIM provisioned properly with LTE data, you're good to go from then on.

This is also an issue with any non-AT&T phone! I had a Sony Xperia ZL that would have had the same problem had I needed a new SIM card for it, but since I already had LTE data from my SGS3, I just plopped my micro SIM card into the phone and it worked fine. I really wish AT&T could make it such that they can manually force the proper data plan on your account regardless of the phone's IMEI, but it seems that you need an appropriate IMEI for them to be able to do it.

Central n ohios best

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
That's because u went to a store. Some store reps know lil to no knowledge about what they are selling. The T-Mobile version is Sim unlocked which mean all u had to do is add the sim and the correct APN. My phone is an att unlocked phone I'm using on tmo.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape running 4.1.2 using Tapatalk 2 (Central n Ohio Austin IL)

omega1300

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
No, it isn't a fluke -- it happened to me as well. My best advice would be to take an LTE-enabled AT&T phone with you when you go to get your new nano SIM strictly for the IMEI number. Their network won't recognize the IMEI of the T-mobile Moto X as an LTE data enabled phone, and they won't be able to provision the new SIM properly (you'll have voice but no data). They'll need to use your current AT&T supported phone's IMEI (if you have an AT&T LTE phone) in order to properly provision the new nano SIM. Once they do that, all will be fine. In my case, they had to use my old (and no longer in my possession) SGS3's IMEI in order to get my data plan back for my T-mobile Moto X. After you get the new nano SIM provisioned properly with LTE data, you're good to go from then on.

This is also an issue with any non-AT&T phone! I had a Sony Xperia ZL that would have had the same problem had I needed a new SIM card for it, but since I already had LTE data from my SGS3, I just plopped my micro SIM card into the phone and it worked fine. I really wish AT&T could make it such that they can manually force the proper data plan on your account regardless of the phone's IMEI, but it seems that you need an appropriate IMEI for them to be able to do it.

Hey Zero - so if I take my Note 3 in, I just say "I need this exact sim replicated as a nano sim"? And from that point on I'm good?

zerospace-net

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
That's because u went to a store. Some store reps know lil to no knowledge about what they are selling. The T-Mobile version is Sim unlocked which mean all u had to do is add the sim and the correct APN. My phone is an att unlocked phone I'm using on tmo.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape running 4.1.2 using Tapatalk 2 (Central n Ohio Austin IL)

No, the problem is because the Moto X uses a nano sim, and most people buying a T-mobile moto x need to go from a micro SIM to a nano SIM. When AT&T issues a new SIM, it is provisioned using a phone's IMEI. What IMEI they enter will tell the system what kind of data plan to use -- in the case of the T-mobile moto x, which their system does not recognize, it won't allow them to add the correct data plan, thus the phone ends up with no data connection. They have to trick the system by using a known IMEI when provisioning the SIM and all will work. Having the correct APN in the phone doesn't make their network allow the phone a data connection without the SIM being properly provisioned for data...

zerospace-net

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Hey Zero - so if I take my Note 3 in, I just say "I need this exact sim replicated as a nano sim"? And from that point on I'm good?

I would think that would work just fine -- let them use your note 3's IMEI for the new SIM and you should have a quick, painless process!

omega1300

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
I would think that would work just fine -- let them use your note 3's IMEI for the new SIM and you should have a quick, painless process!

Follow up question - if I'm using my notes IMEI for the new SIM - does anyone know what happens when I sell my note? Will a new owner have issues getting it work?

phositadc

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Follow up question - if I'm using my notes IMEI for the new SIM - does anyone know what happens when I sell my note? Will a new owner have issues getting it work?

No it will be fine. If you have a phone that currently has LTE, all you need to do is put your SIM in your X when it arrives and it will work. no need to call AT&T.

Sent from my XT1053

Edit: You will need to cut your SIM card down to nano SIM though. If you get a new SIM from AT&T you will have to give them an imei to activate it. Just have them activate it on your note and then put it in your X.

omega1300

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
No it will be fine. If you have a phone that currently has LTE, all you need to do is put your SIM in your X when it arrives and it will work. no need to call AT&T.

Sent from my XT1053

Thanks Phos - the issue is I currently have a micro SIM and will need a nano SIM - so I'll need to get that from Att

phositadc

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Phos - the issue is I currently have a micro SIM and will need a nano SIM - so I'll need to get that from Att

Ahh see my edit above. The problem people have is imei. AT&T will not have the IMEI of your T-Mobile X. So either have them use the IMEI of an in store AT&T X or have them use the IMEI of your Note. Then put SIM in X. And you will be good to go.

Sent from my XT1053

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ellie10