Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

From anyone who's done this, I'm good to go once I get a nano SIM correct? Updates / LTE / everything should work correctly?

So far as I understand it, I should be fine, in fact this is a great way to get fast updates & escape carrier bloat (which is why I did it). I've read exactly that in numerous threads (some of which I've created).

But now that I've placed the order, of course I'm a bit concerned.

Thanks all!

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts

Default Re: ordered a t mobile moto x (I'm on att) - put my mind at ease?

Might need to mess with some network settings such as APN and the like in the mobile network settings. No biggie.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

The gsm dev edition works on both AT&T and TMobile you might have to get an unlock code though?

Quote Originally Posted by omega1300 View Post
    From anyone who's done this, I'm good to go once I get a nano SIM correct? Updates / LTE / everything should work correctly?

So far as I understand it, I should be fine, in fact this is a great way to get fast updates & escape carrier bloat (which is why I did it). I've read exactly that in numerous threads (some of which I've created).

But now that I've placed the order, of course I'm a bit concerned.

Thanks all!

You are 100% good to go with a T-Mobile X on AT&T. You won't even have to change the APN. As long as your AT&T SIM card is provisioned for LTE just pop it in and you are golden.

Sent from my XT1053
    Thanked by:

How do you get updates? If updates are pushed by the carrier and you have a T-Mobile device on AT&T?

Since the T-mobile X is sim unlocked with no T-Mobile bloat I would think updates will come to it early since it is not sold from T-mobile directly. I think it got the kitkat update before the AT&T model.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter McCain View Post
    How do you get updates? If updates are pushed by the carrier and you have a T-Mobile device on AT&T?

I guess they are pushed by Motorola but I got both the camera update and KitKat no problems.

Sent from my XT1053
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by phositadc View Post
    You are 100% good to go with a T-Mobile X on AT&T. You won't even have to change the APN. As long as your AT&T SIM card is provisioned for LTE just pop it in and you are golden.

Sent from my XT1053
    Thanks so much! They've already started building it - can't wait!

I got a T-Mobile Moto X for my wife who is coming from an iPhone 4S on At&t. We went to the At&t store last night to get her Moto X activated and they had a hard time activating it. They ended up doing some kind of trickery using an IMEI number from an At&t Moto X that they had in the store. Whatever they did worked, but it was not as straight forward as I thought it would be.

Hopefully that was a fluke and everyone else who was savvy enough to get a T-Mobile phone to use on At&t won't have any problems.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by Vito2000 View Post
    I got a T-Mobile Moto X for my wife who is coming from an iPhone 4S on At&t. We went to the At&t store last night to get her Moto X activated and they had a hard time activating it. They ended up doing some kind of trickery using an IMEI number from an At&t Moto X that they had in the store. Whatever they did worked, but it was not as straight forward as I thought it would be.

Hopefully that was a fluke and everyone else who was savvy enough to get a T-Mobile phone to use on At&t won't have any problems.
    Well that's not what I like to hear....

Should I contact motorola about exchanging for Att version to avoid headaches? :/

Quote Originally Posted by Vito2000 View Post

No, it isn't a fluke -- it happened to me as well. My best advice would be to take an LTE-enabled AT&T phone with you when you go to get your new nano SIM strictly for the IMEI number. Their network won't recognize the IMEI of the T-mobile Moto X as an LTE data enabled phone, and they won't be able to provision the new SIM properly (you'll have voice but no data). They'll need to use your current AT&T supported phone's IMEI (if you have an AT&T LTE phone) in order to properly provision the new nano SIM. Once they do that, all will be fine. In my case, they had to use my old (and no longer in my possession) SGS3's IMEI in order to get my data plan back for my T-mobile Moto X. After you get the new nano SIM provisioned properly with LTE data, you're good to go from then on.

This is also an issue with any non-AT&T phone! I had a Sony Xperia ZL that would have had the same problem had I needed a new SIM card for it, but since I already had LTE data from my SGS3, I just plopped my micro SIM card into the phone and it worked fine. I really wish AT&T could make it such that they can manually force the proper data plan on your account regardless of the phone's IMEI, but it seems that you need an appropriate IMEI for them to be able to do it.
    Thanked by:

That's because u went to a store. Some store reps know lil to no knowledge about what they are selling. The T-Mobile version is Sim unlocked which mean all u had to do is add the sim and the correct APN. My phone is an att unlocked phone I'm using on tmo.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape running 4.1.2 using Tapatalk 2 (Central n Ohio Austin IL)
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Quote Originally Posted by zerospace-net View Post
    No, it isn't a fluke -- it happened to me as well. My best advice would be to take an LTE-enabled AT&T phone with you when you go to get your new nano SIM strictly for the IMEI number. Their network won't recognize the IMEI of the T-mobile Moto X as an LTE data enabled phone, and they won't be able to provision the new SIM properly (you'll have voice but no data). They'll need to use your current AT&T supported phone's IMEI (if you have an AT&T LTE phone) in order to properly provision the new nano SIM. Once they do that, all will be fine. In my case, they had to use my old (and no longer in my possession) SGS3's IMEI in order to get my data plan back for my T-mobile Moto X. After you get the new nano SIM provisioned properly with LTE data, you're good to go from then on.

This is also an issue with any non-AT&T phone! I had a Sony Xperia ZL that would have had the same problem had I needed a new SIM card for it, but since I already had LTE data from my SGS3, I just plopped my micro SIM card into the phone and it worked fine. I really wish AT&T could make it such that they can manually force the proper data plan on your account regardless of the phone's IMEI, but it seems that you need an appropriate IMEI for them to be able to do it.
    Hey Zero - so if I take my Note 3 in, I just say "I need this exact sim replicated as a nano sim"? And from that point on I'm good?

Quote Originally Posted by Central n ohios best View Post
    That's because u went to a store. Some store reps know lil to no knowledge about what they are selling. The T-Mobile version is Sim unlocked which mean all u had to do is add the sim and the correct APN. My phone is an att unlocked phone I'm using on tmo.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape running 4.1.2 using Tapatalk 2 (Central n Ohio Austin IL)
    No, the problem is because the Moto X uses a nano sim, and most people buying a T-mobile moto x need to go from a micro SIM to a nano SIM. When AT&T issues a new SIM, it is provisioned using a phone's IMEI. What IMEI they enter will tell the system what kind of data plan to use -- in the case of the T-mobile moto x, which their system does not recognize, it won't allow them to add the correct data plan, thus the phone ends up with no data connection. They have to trick the system by using a known IMEI when provisioning the SIM and all will work. Having the correct APN in the phone doesn't make their network allow the phone a data connection without the SIM being properly provisioned for data...

Hey Zero - so if I take my Note 3 in, I just say "I need this exact sim replicated as a nano sim"? And from that point on I'm good?

I would think that would work just fine -- let them use your note 3's IMEI for the new SIM and you should have a quick, painless process!
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Quote Originally Posted by zerospace-net View Post
    I would think that would work just fine -- let them use your note 3's IMEI for the new SIM and you should have a quick, painless process!
    Follow up question - if I'm using my notes IMEI for the new SIM - does anyone know what happens when I sell my note? Will a new owner have issues getting it work?

17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Anyone know? I appreciate all the assistance!!

Follow up question - if I'm using my notes IMEI for the new SIM - does anyone know what happens when I sell my note? Will a new owner have issues getting it work?

No it will be fine. If you have a phone that currently has LTE, all you need to do is put your SIM in your X when it arrives and it will work. no need to call AT&T.

Sent from my XT1053

Edit: You will need to cut your SIM card down to nano SIM though. If you get a new SIM from AT&T you will have to give them an imei to activate it. Just have them activate it on your note and then put it in your X.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Quote Originally Posted by phositadc View Post
    No it will be fine. If you have a phone that currently has LTE, all you need to do is put your SIM in your X when it arrives and it will work. no need to call AT&T.

Sent from my XT1053
    Thanks Phos - the issue is I currently have a micro SIM and will need a nano SIM - so I'll need to get that from Att

Thanks Phos - the issue is I currently have a micro SIM and will need a nano SIM - so I'll need to get that from Att

Ahh see my edit above. The problem people have is imei. AT&T will not have the IMEI of your T-Mobile X. So either have them use the IMEI of an in store AT&T X or have them use the IMEI of your Note. Then put SIM in X. And you will be good to go.

Sent from my XT1053
    Thanked by:
    omega1300 likes this.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Hey Phos - Thanks! Tried to send you a PM on this, but not sure it went through. So I'll ask here - last thing.

So I bring my Note to ATT, say I need a nano SIM for my X & give them my Note's IMEI to apply to the SIM - Do I tell them I'm trying to activate a T Mobile phone? Does it matter?

After the X is up and running and I know it's getting updates etc. I'll likely sell my Note in the future. Now I'm sure this question seems very simple, but I've never done this before - so, has my Note IMEI been transferred from to my X? Does my Note IMEI need to be reset before I sell it? Are there any additional steps I need to take?

I appreciate all the help - thanks so much.

It seems to not matter, but I honestly don't know. They used my AT&T SGS3's IMEI, which I sold long ago (so for all I know, someone else is using it on AT&T's network).

IMEI's are device-specific. They don't "move" with you. AT&T is only entering the phone's IMEI into their system for the purpose of telling the system what sort of phone the SIM card is for. When they do that, they will be able to activate the new SIM on your account, which you can then put into your moto x. The moto x will report it's own IMEI to the network at that point and their system will know to allow it LTE data access, so the Note 3's IMEI won't matter anymore.

You can tell them that the Moto X is an unlocked T-mobile phone, they don't care. Just tell them to use the Note 3's IMEI to provision the SIM card, because their system won't recognize the T-mobile Moto X properly.
    Thanked by:

Okay so I have Tmo and Att I have a Sim card that came from an Iphone 5 which is a nano Sim I put it in my T-Mobile moto maker moto x I got from cyber Monday and it just worked. No configuration was required. Same with my Tmo nano Sim.

If you have a micro SIM already you can cut it down to size to work as a nano SIM. This would allow you to keep your current SIM and not deal with the reprovisioning to a nano SIM in the store. I did that with a Tmobile SIM I'm testing with and it fits fine in the Moto X.

The other option is to buy a nano SIM to micro SIM adapter. Then take your existing phone into AT&T and ask to switch to a nano SIM for your existing phone. Get the nano SIM provisioned with your existing phone with the nano SIM in the adapter. Once the Moto X is delivered just move the existing nano SIM over.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

Quote Originally Posted by stevet48 View Post
    If you have a micro SIM already you can cut it down to size to work as a nano SIM. This would allow you to keep your current SIM and not deal with the reprovisioning to a nano SIM in the store. I did that with a Tmobile SIM I'm testing with and it fits fine in the Moto X.

The other option is to buy a nano SIM to micro SIM adapter. Then take your existing phone into AT&T and ask to switch to a nano SIM for your existing phone. Get the nano SIM provisioned with your existing phone with the nano SIM in the adapter. Once the Moto X is delivered just move the existing nano SIM over.
    Hey Steve - I actually have a sim cutter arriving today to cut mine to a nano - did you have to sand it down to fit the X?

Alternately, yeah, I wonder of att would just give me a nano sim for my current phone?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast