Music player and play lists

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I got a moto x, and I have three questions about using it to play music:

1) How can I put new music files on it from my Mac? Where should I put them. I'd like to import some extra ring tones and alarms and alerts, too, and have the same question re those.

2) how can I set up play lists? Ideally. I'd import play lists from iTunes in my Mac.

3) is there some music player people recommend? I want something fairly simple that defaults to my files, and doesn't keep asking about on-line services. The default music player us driving me nuts.

I'm coming from a photon, which came with a handy utility to import stuff from iTunes. I miss that.

bigpig777

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Here's what I do:

1) Install Google Music Manager on your Mac as I've found it to be the most seamless and hassle-free. Let that find your iTunes music directory during install and it will automatically upload your entire iTunes library. easy to then stream on your Moto X.
2) Your iTunes paylists will come over also when doing step 1 above.
3) I like Google Play Music, and that's coming from someone who loves iTunes and has Mac everything. There are tons of choices to try out though.

Nov 6, 2013
plus.google.com
For #1, I use Google's Music Manager for Mac. You can get this from play.google.com/store/music. The music manager can be set to sync songs to your Google account automatically as you add new music.

For #2, I can't remember if I set up my playlist on my old iPhone and it moved over or if I set it up online.

For #3, I'll defer to others as I still use the stock music app. Suits my needs but I know there are others with more robust features.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Too be clear, I don't want to stream music. I want to use music that is stored locally on my phone. My major gripe with the default player is that it keeps prompting me to stream.

I don't have Wi-Fi at work, I don't have reliable data at all when I drive, I just want to play my music and not have to think about where I am or what my connection might be.

Can Google music manager be configured to just move stuff, and not leave it lying around in the cloud? I guess that's not a major problem, so long as I can find a way to also move the files to the gadget, and have the player look there by default.

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
Back when my wife had Android, she used iSyncr to sync music and playlists from iTunes. Double Twist used to be good for this as well.

For a music player, I was always impressed with the popular PowerAmp. I stopped using it because it's SD Card support left a lot to be desired. But that won't be an issue in the Moto X. I plan to install PowerAmp on my Moto X for when I'm only listening to locally stored files.

I like Google Play Music. You may want to give it a chance once you have your on files on your device. I like seamlessly switching from streaming/stored music or even mixing them together into one queue.

Sent from my HTC Rezound via Swype & Tapatalk

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
Google Music Manager isn't good for your purpose. It will allow you to download your music between computers to use in any player. But on mobile devices, you pin music in the Play Music App and it downloads to your device from the cloud, BUT it can only be seen by the Play Music app. Other apps will not be able see the files or play them. That's my biggest disappointment with Google Music.

Sent from my HTC Rezound via Swype & Tapatalk

sfringer

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
You could look at DoubleTwist both player for your phone and for your Mac. It should allow you to sync the music of your choosing between both.

Hi, I got a moto x, and I have three questions about using it to play music:

1) How can I put new music files on it from my Mac? Where should I put them. I'd like to import some extra ring tones and alarms and alerts, too, and have the same question re those.

2) how can I set up play lists? Ideally. I'd import play lists from iTunes in my Mac.

3) is there some music player people recommend? I want something fairly simple that defaults to my files, and doesn't keep asking about on-line services. The default music player us driving me nuts.

I'm coming from a photon, which came with a handy utility to import stuff from iTunes. I miss that.

gtg465x

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Install Android File Transfer for Mac from here.

Then just plug your phone in and drag any songs you want into the Music folder. Then they'll show up in the Google Play Music app on your phone. You can select On Device Only within the app if you only want it to show you songs that are on the phone.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Install Android File Transfer for Mac from here.

Then just plug your phone in and drag any songs you want into the Music folder. Then they'll show up in the Google Play Music app on your phone. You can select On Device Only within the app if you only want it to show you songs that are on the phone.

Is there a way to either import or create play lists if I do this?

ttenpas

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't know how iTunes does playlists, but I just copied my WinAmp playlists into the music folder and they work fine.

Camilo

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I've been using ITunes on my laptop and iSyncr to sync between it and both my Samsung tablet and Moto X phone. Digression: I use Itunes just because I have it all set up for my music, artwork, podcasts, etc. and just don't want to mess with setting up and learning a new system. The ISyncr is easy to use and utilizes what you've done and are doing on ITunes and interfaces it with the Android device.

The iSyncr interface on the device allows you to choose exactly what you want to sync - whether that be songs, albums, playlists whatever. It "looks" at your main computer's files (through an app you also install on the computer). It can handle internal or SD device storage on the device. I have a couple of "specialty" playlists in ITunes which I sync, but for the bulk of my transfer/sync, I set up a very large playlist (I call it "16 gig Playlist since I sync it to the 16 gig card on my tablet, and have earmarked 16gigs in my 32 gig Motox for music). I just sync all these playlists from the computer to the device and I'm good to go. I do all my playlist (including the 16 gig one) manipulation on ITunes just because I'm proficient at it.

This is very simple after you get the app configured on your computer as well as your devices.

On my MotoX, I just sync the small playlists and the 16gig playlist. On the tablet, I sync the several small playlists I have to the internal storage and the 16 gig one to the card. That way when the card's out (like when I put in another card with, say, videos), I still have several playlists, with several hundred tunes resident on the tablet. The player will find the music whether it's on the internal or sd card storage.

I use Rocket Player on both devices, and it works very well, but I've also dabbled with the resident player on both devices and they seem to work fine. They all scan for music in both the internal and sd storage and also display album art (which is something I like, coming from the ancient days of LP's and CD's and like to see album art).

drvier8

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
+1 on iSyncr.

Edited to add, it really depends on where you will consider your "master" set of playlists going forward. If you plan to remain using iTunes, then iSyncr is a good solution since it will allow you to update the playlists on the phone whenever you want.

If you want to switch to Google music, then it will upload your existing iTunes playlists and if you add songs to iTunes, it will stay updated. But if you change the playlists on Google, there's no way to sync those changes back down to iTunes.

If you do go with google, you can "pin" the playlists to your device so that the songs download to your phone. This is what I do. I have a large collection that is available when I can stream, but I pin selected playlists to my phone when I know I'll not have connection. You can listen to pinned playlists offline.

Central n ohios best

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Besides Google play music I like the fusion music app. Comes with plenty of features and plays multiple versions including the ones iOS use.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape running 4.1.2 using Tapatalk 2 (Central n Ohio Austin IL)

torifile

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I use Rdio for music on my devices. You can download any music you want to be stored locally for when you don't have a data connection. It's not free but, IMHO, it's worth the sub fee to avoid having to deal with syncing files.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, everyone. I do want to continue using iTunes as my music manager of record, so to speak. It might not be the best thing out there, but I have it on my Mac and I'm familiar with it and it works completely well enough.

So it looks like I will try out iSyncr and then mess around with music players.

Coincidentally, I sort of use WinAmp for other purposes, and maybe I should look into using that more. But not right now.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, everyone.

I installed Android File Transfer, iSyncr, and Rocket Player. There's a conflict between Android File Transfer and iSyncr, but I think I have resolved that by telling iSyncr to only use wifi, and AFT to only use USB. iSyncr worked nicely, bringing over music, playlists, album info, genre info, etc., and I like the features of Rocket Player, which gives me most of the functionality I am used to on my laptop, in a relatively intuitive interface.

I expect to use Android File Transfer for other stuff. But I'm puzzled, because it doesn't see a bunch of stuff that I know is on the gadget. I guess stuff that came over with the moto account transfer is hidden, somehow. That's a nuisance, because I probably have it all stored twice, now. If I seem to be running out of space I will have to do something about that, although I'm not sure what.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Ack!

Well, that worked, but it moved most of my songs over twice (huh?) and now my 32gb is nearly full. Any advice? is it a problem to have a song on more than one play list? Was it just a glitch that it didn't recognize I'd moved stuff in two pieces? Is there a "mass" way to fix this? If I go any hand-delete all the dups, will I mess up my play lists?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
For removing duplicate songs try the app: Search Duplicate Finder(Super)

Works well for me...

It found a handful of dups, but definitely didn't clean up the mess. I think the problem is that the songs that were imported by the moto "move over what was on your old phone" application are subtly different from the same songs brought over by iSyncr, and the phone (including iSyncr and Search Duplicate Files) thinks they are different. I'd really like to bulk-delete all the songs I got from Moto, and just use iSyncr, but I can't figure out how to do that. Or bulk delete ALL songs and start over.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC