Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question Nexus 4 to Moto X

I apologize in advance if this has been done to death, but I did a search and it didn't yield anything similar in this forum.

I'm curious to read the experiences of those who have replaced their Nexus 4 with the Moto X. Is there anything that you miss or don't miss about the N4 in comparison to the Moto X, whether it be form factor, camera, call quality, speed differences: processor or LTE vs. HSPA, screen: AMOLED vs. IPS, etc.

Thank you!

Default Re: Nexus 4 to Moto X

In my opinion the only place the n4 had the X beat is development options. And personally I prefer the notification led over active notifications, but I'm probably alone on that ;-)

Otherwise X beats n4 on every front imo.

Sent from my XT1053
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks! I kind of like LED notification lights too, but I haven't experienced the active notifications yet so my opinion might change.

I've held my N4 alongside an X and I was kind of shocked that there was such a noticeable size difference even though the screen size is virtually the same. Having originally come from an iPhone 4s, I definitely appreciate the hand friendly form of the Moto X.

Quote Originally Posted by ethertwist View Post
    Thanks! I kind of like LED notification lights too, but I haven't experienced the active notifications yet so my opinion might change.

I've held my N4 alongside an X and I was kind of shocked that there was such a noticeable size difference even though the screen size is virtually the same. Having originally come from an iPhone 4s, I definitely appreciate the hand friendly form of the Moto X.
    As the above poster stated, unless you like flashing roms/development the x is better.

That being said. There is not a lot of difference in the two devices performance wise. To me it's more of a lateral move.

I would consider a Nexus 5 if you are wanting a step up.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    Nexus 5-Black
    Rooted 4.4.2
    TWRP
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by benhmadison View Post
    As the above poster stated, unless you like flashing roms/development the x is better.

That being said. There is not a lot of difference in the two devices performance wise. To me it's more of a lateral move.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    Thank you! I really like the N5, but it's a bit too big for my taste. I tend to prefer a phone in the 4" range rather than 5".

Global Posts
    460 Global Posts

Thank you! I really like the N5, but it's a bit too big for my taste. I tend to prefer a phone in the 4" range rather than 5".
    The Moto X is close in physical size to the iPhone 5/5S but with a much larger screen.
    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by grooks View Post
    The Moto X is close in physical size to the iPhone 5/5S but with a much larger screen.
    I think that may be my sweet spot for phones.

Global Posts
    460 Global Posts

Nexus 4 - 133.9mm x 68.7mm x 9.1mm

Moto X - 129.3mm x 65.3mm x 10.4mm

iPhone 5/5S - 123.8mm x 58.6mm x 7.6mm
    Thanked by:

I just moved from a nexus 4 and while I mostly prefer the moto x there are a couple of things I miss from the 4.

The biggest one (which is still small) is that I love the way the screen curves over the side of the 4, motox looks like it would be that way, but there is a tiny lip.

Performance is very similar, although the x seems to multitask quicker and games run a little better. The x also doesn't get all hot like the 4 does.

The screen on the x is gorgeous, every time I move from my tablet or 4 to the x I'm reimpressed.

Battery life is better while in use by a lot, however the 4 seems to have better idle battery on Wi-Fi. When I'm not using the phones the 4 will outlast the x, but as soon as I leave the house that switches really quick.

Even though the 4 has a premium feel, it always felt a little wide carrying it out and about. The grip you can get on the x inspires much more confidence. Also the back never feels cold. It's really the ideal phone size.

Active notifications are the best thing ever. You almost never need to use the unlock button.

Even though the camera on the x is a bit hit or miss, it's way better than the 4.

Reception is better on x.

The sound from the phone speakers is way better on the x and the headphone out is also way better. X is the first phone to surprise me with its sound quality (for such a small speaker).

Hope that helps.

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by 2:
    paisley99, ethertwist and VAYinzer like this.

If that is the case definitely go with the Moto X.
    Nexus 5-Black
    Rooted 4.4.2
    TWRP
    ethertwist likes this.

Global Posts
    286 Global Posts

I can honestly say there isn't one thing that I miss from the n4 now having the moto x. Literally nothing. Everything is improved. I actually updated my n4 today to kit kat and I sat there for a bit just comparing the screens...wow does the n4 seen extremely washed out.

Thanked by:
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by orangezebra View Post
    I just moved from a nexus 4 and while I mostly prefer the moto x there are a couple of things I miss from the 4.

The biggest one (which is still small) is that I love the way the screen curves over the side of the 4, motox looks like it would be that way, but there is a tiny lip.

Performance is very similar, although the x seems to multitask quicker and games run a little better. The x also doesn't get all hot like the 4 does.

The screen on the x is gorgeous, every time I move from my tablet or 4 to the x I'm reimpressed.

Battery life is better while in use by a lot, however the 4 seems to have better idle battery on Wi-Fi. When I'm not using the phones the 4 will outlast the x, but as soon as I leave the house that switches really quick.

Even though the 4 has a premium feel, it always felt a little wide carrying it out and about. The grip you can get on the x inspires much more confidence. Also the back never feels cold. It's really the ideal phone size.

Active notifications are the best thing ever. You almost never need to use the unlock button.

Even though the camera on the x is a bit hit or miss, it's way better than the 4.

Reception is better on x.

The sound from the phone speakers is way better on the x and the headphone out is also way better. X is the first phone to surprise me with its sound quality (for such a small speaker).

Hope that helps.

Wow!...Thank you so much for this awesome response.

You mentioned a few things that have always bugged me about the N4. The first being how hot the device gets with heavy use. If not for a case, it would be too hot to hold at times when playing a game. While I love the overall design of the N4 and the really elegant pixelated glass back (a beautiful feature!), it is a bit wide and of course fragile.

I like the idea of not having to hit the power button everytime I want to awaken the phone, so I'm looking forward to those active notifications and always listening mode. The one thing I like about iPhones and Samsung phones is that they have home buttons as well as power buttons so that one single button isn't getting overused (as silly as that sounds).

Last and certainly not least for me, the call volume on the N4 really sucks and seems interminably low. I'm one of those that really needs the phone to function as a phone so better call quality is a REAL selling point for me about the X.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    2,062 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by benhmadison View Post
    A step up? In what way, besides specs, as the N5 certainly is not going to out-perform it.
    As for me and my house we serve the Lord.

Quote Originally Posted by pappy53 View Post
    A step up? In what way, besides specs, as the N5 certainly is not going to out-perform it.
    Yes a step up in specs is what I meant. I know the X performs as well as most anything available, but I would still give the edge to the N5 as far as being more future proof.
    Nexus 5-Black
    Rooted 4.4.2
    TWRP

I say go with the moto x. It has exceeded my expectations for a device and I really disliked my Nexus 4. Trust me there is nothing you will miss about your N4. The only exception as others have said is the rooting and development for the nexus 4.

Sent from my bada$$ Nexus 5
    Lumia 925 w/Black, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8
    and yes...an iPhone 5 too...
    Thanked by:
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Quote Originally Posted by planoman View Post
    The only exception as others have said is the rooting and development for the nexus 4.
    I'm clueless when it comes to all things root so by default, it's all stock for me. I originally got the Nexus 4 because of the price, the design and the fact that it was vanilla android without carrier bloatware (all things I appreciate about the Moto X as well).

I'm clueless when it comes to all things root so by default, it's all stock for me. I originally got the Nexus 4 because of the price, the design and the fact that it was vanilla android without carrier bloatware (all things I appreciate about the Moto X as well).
    This will fit the bill! Very smooth, optimized and very little bloat (I am on ATT).
    Lumia 925 w/Black, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8
    and yes...an iPhone 5 too...
    Thanked by 2:

I have had some problems with the phone of the moto x. I liked the nex 4 phone better, mainly because I could adjust the pixel size. But on the moto x , my text pictures come across blurry to those I send an MMS to. The size of the picture is 2 megabytes or so.... Why can't it take a large mega pixel shot? The nexus 4 could take 8 megapixels. Pretty frustrated over the moto x camera. Any suggestions?

Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by jeremmar View Post
    I have had some problems with the phone of the moto x. I liked the nex 4 phone better, mainly because I could adjust the pixel size. But on the moto x , my text pictures come across blurry to those I send an MMS to. The size of the picture is 2 megabytes or so.... Why can't it take a large mega pixel shot? The nexus 4 could take 8 megapixels. Pretty frustrated over the moto x camera. Any suggestions?

It takes a 10MP photo. MMS doesn't send very large pictures.
    Thanked by:

The pics look fine on my moto x, but when I MMS them to others it looks horrible. (When I email the pic it looks great, not grainy at all). I took a pic of a page of a book, which you can see clearly on the moto x, and text it and the other person cannot even read a single word because it is so grainy. Pathetic ... There must be some way to fix this?? Anyone else seeing this? Look at a MMS from your moto x on the receivers phone

Global Posts
    255 Global Posts

Are you sending from the Messaging app or the Hangouts app?

Quote Originally Posted by gtg465x View Post
    Are you sending from the Messaging app or the Hangouts app?
    From my messaging app.

Quote Originally Posted by phositadc View Post
    In my opinion the only place the n4 had the X beat is development options. And personally I prefer the notification led over active notifications, but I'm probably alone on that ;-)

Otherwise X beats n4 on every front imo.

Sent from my XT1053
    Naw, you are not alone. I miss the LED notifications, too. The active notifications feel a little gimmicky to me. They're okay, though.

Global Posts
    524 Global Posts

I'm coming from a Nexus 4 to a Moto X. Here are the things I miss so far:

1. Wireless Charging (Qi)-- one of my FAVORITE features (of all time). I consider this a must-have and was very sad and annoyed that the MX didn't include this feature.

2. Premium Feel-- I've never had a single problem with the glass back and ABSOLUTELY LOVE the way it feels in my hand. Also the curved screen feels amazing too.

3. Notification Light-- I used LightFlow and had different lights for different notifications, even for different people. I wish the MX had a Notification Light combined with Active Notifications so that I could have the best of both worlds.

4. Huge development community/support-- though the MX is getting community it's not at the levels the N4 is (even at the same release time), currently. Hoping this will change shortly.

And the Moto X has some nice improvements/features over the Nexus 4:

1. Screen-- the MX's screen is leaps and bounds better than the N4's. The N4 looks so washed out and crappy compared to the MX, wow, it's shocking.

2. Phone Call Quality-- WAY BETTER call quality than the N4.

3. Speaker-- much louder, better sounding speakers than the N4. No fear of laying the phone down and sound being completely muffled like the N4.

4. Active Notifications-- it's really nice & I think ALL phones from here on out should have it.

5. LTE-- if you live in the US then you'll want LTE even if you're currently not in an LTE market. (It helps futureproof your purchase and when LTE does go live you don't have to buy a new phone!)

6. Motorola Assist-- very handy feature that I use every day.

7. Motorola Connect-- seeing and replying to texts right from your computer and seeing caller ID without the need for a 3rd party app is amazing.

8. Motorola Migrate-- every phone should have this! Makes switching phones easy as pie!

9. Motorola Skip-- YMMV but I think this is a great option if you have to lock and unlock your phone multiple times a day.

And last, but not least...

10. TOUCHLESS CONTROLS-- Even with the screen off you can still use Google Now to control your phone and answer questions. Love it!
    Last edited by KitN; 12-18-2013 at 04:31 AM.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    6,661 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus(AOKP-jb_4.2.1)

I prefer the Active notifications over the LED notification light.
    I always had that light turned off the blinking got on my nerves LOL
    Thanked by:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast