I've already got a working smartphone... but why am I so drawn to the $349 Moto X?

ap3604

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I already have a Macbook Air + iPhone 5s combination that works for me.

I really like the iCloud integration where I can be iMessaging people on my phone at work, come home to my Macbook Air and the conversation is right there (same with anything else like calendars, notes, pictures, etc).

So... why am I so damn drawn to the Moto X then? :confused:

- Is it the price and how good of a deal it is?
- Is it the fact that it's a new toy?
- Is it because gaming emulators are allowed on android while they aren't on iPhone?

It is puzzling me... I just can't get the damn thing out of my head even though I know I don't need it :-\

Anyone else out there having the same issue?

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

I really like the iCloud integration where I can be iMessaging people on my phone at work, come home to my Macbook Air and the conversation is right there (same with anything else like calendars, notes, pictures, etc).

- Is it because gaming emulators are allowed on android while they aren't on iPhone?

It is puzzling me... I just can't get the damn thing out of my head even though I know I don't need it :-\

1. Moto X is awesome
2. Android is very open and you can do pretty much anything.
3. Moto X is awesome

I own a mac too and I love this phone

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

I'm having this issue as well XD
I have an S4 and it is an amazing phone, but if I could trade it for a Moto X, I probably would.
I like it mostly because of the size, but the software it has to offer is very intriguing. Needless to say, I'm definitely buying an X2 :p

Posted via Android Central App

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I was very drawn to the $349 Moto X...because I already had a Moto X.

I bought one anyway because I wanted a Moto Maker version.

It's understandable for others who don't own a Moto X to be drawn to it, though, as Motorola and the Moto X have had a lot of good notice lately. The phone provides a fantastic experience, and Motorola has been treating it and their customers very well.

torifile

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I was pretty much in the same boat. (The "open" thing is SO tired and meaningless, they almost make me want to throw something at my computer!)

But I decided to go with the Moto X for a couple of reasons. I like the customizability of the device. This has NOTHING to do with "open" it's all about flexibility. I have grown tired of springboard in iOS. Such a waste. But I digress....

I LOVE the form factor. Surprisingly, it's no bigger than an iPhone 5/5S. It's not a big behemoth of a phone. I have no desire to carry around a huge slab that doesn't fit in my jeans pockets.

It's got very useful and well-thought out features. Things like Active Notifications and the always listening Google Now are great.

It makes choices for us. I am an Apple lover and I appreciate the thoughtfulness that goes into their devices. Each decision is considered carefully and I think that the Moto X show a lot of that design restraint. It is a very well balanced device.

And it's only $349! That's scarcely more than an iPod touch.

My only complaint so far is that headphone jack is right in the middle of the device. I don't understand why they'd do that when every major portable device of the last 10+ years has had it to one side or the other. It makes it hard to hold when you have headphones in. That's a nitpick, I know. ;)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

It's because tech reviewers call it the best Android phone you can buy right now.

;)

phositadc

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I LOVE the form factor. Surprisingly, it's no bigger than an iPhone 5/5S. It's not a big behemoth of a phone. I have no desire to carry around a huge slab that doesn't fit in my jeans pockets.

That's a bit of an exaggeration. It's 10% wider than an iPhone 5, which is noticeable for one handed use.

For its screen real estate though it's an amazing size, I agree.

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
That's a bit of an exaggeration. It's 10% wider than an iPhone 5, which is noticeable for one handed use.

No it isn't. I work at apple and own a moto x. The exterior size is so minimal, one handed use is no harder than the 5S.
The difference is no massive bezel on the top, sides and bottom of the screen like the iPhone has. You simply get a much large screen and the device is .26 inches wider and .22 inches taller, negated by the fact that the X is thinner on the edges.
Those dimensional differences doesn't effect 1 handed usage. I use both devices all day long.

torifile

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
No it isn't. I work at apple and own a moto x. The exterior size is so minimal, one handed use is no harder than the 5S.
The difference is no massive bezel on the top, sides and bottom of the screen like the iPhone has. You simply get a much large screen and the device is .26 inches wider and .22 inches taller, negated by the fact that the X is thinner on the edges.
Those dimensional differences doesn't effect 1 handed usage. I use both devices all day long.
Thank you for backing me up. When I was shopping for the X, I put my iPhone directly on top of it and vice versa, just to see, and they were really close in size. Certainly not big enough to affect usability. Again, in my mind, this is a GOOD thing. The iPhone 5 is a perfect size, IMHO.

DS1331

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I was pretty much in the same boat. (The "open" thing is SO tired and meaningless, they almost make me want to throw something at my computer!)

But I decided to go with the Moto X for a couple of reasons. I like the customizability of the device. This has NOTHING to do with "open" it's all about flexibility. I have grown tired of springboard in iOS. Such a waste. But I digress....

It's got very useful and well-thought out features. Things like Active Notifications and the always listening Google Now are great.

It makes choices for us. I am an Apple lover and I appreciate the thoughtfulness that goes into their devices. Each decision is considered carefully and I think that the Moto X show a lot of that design restraint. It is a very well balanced device.

And it's only $349! That's scarcely more than an iPod touch.

My only complaint so far is that headphone jack is right in the middle of the device. I don't understand why they'd do that when every major portable device of the last 10+ years has had it to one side or the other. It makes it hard to hold when you have headphones in. That's a nitpick, I know. ;)

well Its definitely bigger then the iPhone 5

Q10, HTC One, Nexus 7, Moto X

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for backing me up. When I was shopping for the X, I put my iPhone directly on top of it and vice versa, just to see, and they were really close in size. Certainly not big enough to affect usability. Again, in my mind, this is a GOOD thing. The iPhone 5 is a perfect size, IMHO.

They should get rid of those huge bezels and fit a bigger screen in there. Makes the phone look ugly if you ask me

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
The iPhone is a very good size, but I think it's a bit too narrow without a case (this includes the iPod touch and HTC incredible that I used to own that were about identical in width.)

I love the Moto X form factor and its width is about ideal for my hand.

I also can't see going below a 4.3" screen again.

Sent from my HTC Rezound via Swype & Tapatalk

ReggieTee

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm having this issue as well XD
I have an S4 and it is an amazing phone, but if I could trade it for a Moto X, I probably would.
I like it mostly because of the size, but the software it has to offer is very intriguing. Needless to say, I'm definitely buying an X2 :p

That is exactly what i'm about to do. Bye Bye S4.

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site

A little off topic, but how much memory does your MB Air have if you don't mind me asking.

I picked up the 13" 128gb model for my wife for Christmas at a black Friday price but now I'm having buyer's remorse thinking that's not enough memory. We already have our iTunes library on our network hard drive and a store rep told me that I should be able to do the same with an iPhoto library.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
A little off topic, but how much memory does your MB Air have if you don't mind me asking.

I picked up the 13" 128gb model for my wife for Christmas at a black Friday price but now I'm having buyer's remorse thinking that's not enough memory. We already have our iTunes library on our network hard drive and a store rep told me that I should be able to do the same with an iPhoto library.

128 GB seems pretty low for a laptop. I think mine (not a Mac) has somewhere closer to 500 o_O

ap3604

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site

I bought the Haswell 128gb version at Best Buy for $899 ($1099 - $100 on sale - $100 for college student discount) and it has been more than enough for me.

Then again though I'm the type of person who roams slickdeals and bought myself two 1tb USB 3.0 portable hard drives for $48 each in case I ran out of storage (IMO a much better option than paying for a bigger SSD drive) ;)

phositadc

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site

Look at the specs broji. iPhone 5 is like 58mm wide. Moto X is over 65 mm wide. Thus it is indisputably 10%+ wider. Not sure how you can argue with me about that.

And as to whether one handed use is harder, I guess that's subjective. I also own and use both and I think the smaller width of the iPhone is superior for one handed use. Absolutely no question that the iPhone 5 feels smaller I'm hand. Because it is smaller. Period. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is up to you.

phositadc

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site

This isn't tough folks. Look at the spec sheets that give the size of each phone. The i5 is smaller and lighter, period. Including being 10% narrower. Whether that's good or bad is up to you, but to say they are the same size is wrong. Period.

runner7395

Sep 5, 2009
Visit site
Totally understand what you mean, I have a IP5S, iPad Mini Retna, iPad Air, MacBook Air, iMac and still for some strange reason felt compelled to try out this phone. I am on day 3 with it and enjoying it more each day. It's not my main devise, I carry both phones because we have an extra line on our family plan. Not sure if I will be keeping it or not, still have 11 more play days with it. I really enjoy being able to customize the home screens so much and like that it's "always listening". Moto did a great job with this phone, I'm glad to see such good competition for the iPhone, as consumers we all benefit that way.