Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33
Like Tree13Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    ap3604's Avatar

    Posts
    79 Posts
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts

    Unhappy I've already got a working smartphone... but why am I so drawn to the $349 Moto X?

    I already have a Macbook Air + iPhone 5s combination that works for me.

    I really like the iCloud integration where I can be iMessaging people on my phone at work, come home to my Macbook Air and the conversation is right there (same with anything else like calendars, notes, pictures, etc).

    So... why am I so damn drawn to the Moto X then?

    - Is it the price and how good of a deal it is?
    - Is it the fact that it's a new toy?
    - Is it because gaming emulators are allowed on android while they aren't on iPhone?

    It is puzzling me... I just can't get the damn thing out of my head even though I know I don't need it

    Anyone else out there having the same issue?
    Thanked by:
    UJ95x 
    UJ95x and ethertwist like this.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: I've already got a working smartphone... but why am I so drawn to the $349 Moto X?

    Quote Originally Posted by ap3604 View Post
    I already have a Macbook Air + iPhone 5s combination that works for me.

    I really like the iCloud integration where I can be iMessaging people on my phone at work, come home to my Macbook Air and the conversation is right there (same with anything else like calendars, notes, pictures, etc).

    So... why am I so damn drawn to the Moto X then?

    - Is it the price and how good of a deal it is?
    - Is it the fact that it's a new toy?
    - Is it because gaming emulators are allowed on android while they aren't on iPhone?

    It is puzzling me... I just can't get the damn thing out of my head even though I know I don't need it

    Anyone else out there having the same issue?
    1. Moto X is awesome
    2. Android is very open and you can do pretty much anything.
    3. Moto X is awesome

    I own a mac too and I love this phone
    Fancy A Break From Your iPhone? Have an Android Kit Kat
  3. #3  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    5,501 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,580 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

    Default Re: I've already got a working smartphone... but why am I so drawn to the $349 Moto X?

    Quote Originally Posted by ap3604 View Post
    I already have a Macbook Air + iPhone 5s combination that works for me.

    I really like the iCloud integration where I can be iMessaging people on my phone at work, come home to my Macbook Air and the conversation is right there (same with anything else like calendars, notes, pictures, etc).

    So... why am I so damn drawn to the Moto X then?

    - Is it the price and how good of a deal it is?
    - Is it the fact that it's a new toy?
    - Is it because gaming emulators are allowed on android while they aren't on iPhone?

    It is puzzling me... I just can't get the damn thing out of my head even though I know I don't need it

    Anyone else out there having the same issue?
    I'm having this issue as well XD
    I have an S4 and it is an amazing phone, but if I could trade it for a Moto X, I probably would.
    I like it mostly because of the size, but the software it has to offer is very intriguing. Needless to say, I'm definitely buying an X2

    Posted via Android Central App
    Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

    R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever
  4. #4  

    Default Re: I've already got a working smartphone... but why am I so drawn to the $349 Moto X?

    I was very drawn to the $349 Moto X...because I already had a Moto X.

    I bought one anyway because I wanted a Moto Maker version.

    It's understandable for others who don't own a Moto X to be drawn to it, though, as Motorola and the Moto X have had a lot of good notice lately. The phone provides a fantastic experience, and Motorola has been treating it and their customers very well.
    UJ95x likes this.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: I've already got a working smartphone... but why am I so drawn to the $349 Moto X?

    I was pretty much in the same boat. (The "open" thing is SO tired and meaningless, they almost make me want to throw something at my computer!)

    But I decided to go with the Moto X for a couple of reasons. I like the customizability of the device. This has NOTHING to do with "open" it's all about flexibility. I have grown tired of springboard in iOS. Such a waste. But I digress....

    I LOVE the form factor. Surprisingly, it's no bigger than an iPhone 5/5S. It's not a big behemoth of a phone. I have no desire to carry around a huge slab that doesn't fit in my jeans pockets.

    It's got very useful and well-thought out features. Things like Active Notifications and the always listening Google Now are great.

    It makes choices for us. I am an Apple lover and I appreciate the thoughtfulness that goes into their devices. Each decision is considered carefully and I think that the Moto X show a lot of that design restraint. It is a very well balanced device.

    And it's only $349! That's scarcely more than an iPod touch.

    My only complaint so far is that headphone jack is right in the middle of the device. I don't understand why they'd do that when every major portable device of the last 10+ years has had it to one side or the other. It makes it hard to hold when you have headphones in. That's a nitpick, I know.
  6. #6  
    Ry
    Ry is online now
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    7,197 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,204 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ap3604 View Post
    I already have a Macbook Air + iPhone 5s combination that works for me.

    I really like the iCloud integration where I can be iMessaging people on my phone at work, come home to my Macbook Air and the conversation is right there (same with anything else like calendars, notes, pictures, etc).

    So... why am I so damn drawn to the Moto X then?

    - Is it the price and how good of a deal it is?
    - Is it the fact that it's a new toy?
    - Is it because gaming emulators are allowed on android while they aren't on iPhone?

    It is puzzling me... I just can't get the damn thing out of my head even though I know I don't need it

    Anyone else out there having the same issue?
    It's because tech reviewers call it the best Android phone you can buy right now.



    Posted via Android Central App
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    UJ95x likes this.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: I've already got a working smartphone... but why am I so drawn to the $349 Moto X?

    Quote Originally Posted by torifile View Post
    I LOVE the form factor. Surprisingly, it's no bigger than an iPhone 5/5S. It's not a big behemoth of a phone. I have no desire to carry around a huge slab that doesn't fit in my jeans pockets.
    That's a bit of an exaggeration. It's 10% wider than an iPhone 5, which is noticeable for one handed use.

    For its screen real estate though it's an amazing size, I agree.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: I've already got a working smartphone... but why am I so drawn to the $349 Moto X?

    Quote Originally Posted by phositadc View Post
    That's a bit of an exaggeration. It's 10% wider than an iPhone 5, which is noticeable for one handed use.
    No it isn't. I work at apple and own a moto x. The exterior size is so minimal, one handed use is no harder than the 5S.
    The difference is no massive bezel on the top, sides and bottom of the screen like the iPhone has. You simply get a much large screen and the device is .26 inches wider and .22 inches taller, negated by the fact that the X is thinner on the edges.
    Those dimensional differences doesn't effect 1 handed usage. I use both devices all day long.
    iOS and Android are BOTH great. iPhone 3, 3GS, 4, 4s, 5, 5c, 5S, LG Optimus G Pro, S3, S4, Note 3, Moto X..
    Currently using LG G2, Note 3 and Nokia 520 WP8
    dmark44 and UJ95x like this.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: I've already got a working smartphone... but why am I so drawn to the $349 Moto X?

    Quote Originally Posted by mayconvert View Post
    No it isn't. I work at apple and own a moto x. The exterior size is so minimal, one handed use is no harder than the 5S.
    The difference is no massive bezel on the top, sides and bottom of the screen like the iPhone has. You simply get a much large screen and the device is .26 inches wider and .22 inches taller, negated by the fact that the X is thinner on the edges.
    Those dimensional differences doesn't effect 1 handed usage. I use both devices all day long.
    Thank you for backing me up. When I was shopping for the X, I put my iPhone directly on top of it and vice versa, just to see, and they were really close in size. Certainly not big enough to affect usability. Again, in my mind, this is a GOOD thing. The iPhone 5 is a perfect size, IMHO.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: I've already got a working smartphone... but why am I so drawn to the $349 Moto X?

    Quote Originally Posted by torifile View Post
    I was pretty much in the same boat. (The "open" thing is SO tired and meaningless, they almost make me want to throw something at my computer!)

    But I decided to go with the Moto X for a couple of reasons. I like the customizability of the device. This has NOTHING to do with "open" it's all about flexibility. I have grown tired of springboard in iOS. Such a waste. But I digress....

    I LOVE the form factor. Surprisingly, it's no bigger than an iPhone 5/5S. It's not a big behemoth of a phone. I have no desire to carry around a huge slab that doesn't fit in my jeans pockets.

    It's got very useful and well-thought out features. Things like Active Notifications and the always listening Google Now are great.

    It makes choices for us. I am an Apple lover and I appreciate the thoughtfulness that goes into their devices. Each decision is considered carefully and I think that the Moto X show a lot of that design restraint. It is a very well balanced device.

    And it's only $349! That's scarcely more than an iPod touch.

    My only complaint so far is that headphone jack is right in the middle of the device. I don't understand why they'd do that when every major portable device of the last 10+ years has had it to one side or the other. It makes it hard to hold when you have headphones in. That's a nitpick, I know.
    well Its definitely bigger then the iPhone 5

    Q10, HTC One, Nexus 7, Moto X
  11. #11  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    5,501 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,580 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

    Default Re: I've already got a working smartphone... but why am I so drawn to the $349 Moto X?

    Quote Originally Posted by torifile View Post
    Thank you for backing me up. When I was shopping for the X, I put my iPhone directly on top of it and vice versa, just to see, and they were really close in size. Certainly not big enough to affect usability. Again, in my mind, this is a GOOD thing. The iPhone 5 is a perfect size, IMHO.
    They should get rid of those huge bezels and fit a bigger screen in there. Makes the phone look ugly if you ask me

    Posted via Android Central App
    Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

    R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever
  12. #12  

    Default Re: I've already got a working smartphone... but why am I so drawn to the $349 Moto X?

    The iPhone is a very good size, but I think it's a bit too narrow without a case (this includes the iPod touch and HTC incredible that I used to own that were about identical in width.)

    I love the Moto X form factor and its width is about ideal for my hand.

    I also can't see going below a 4.3" screen again.

    Sent from my HTC Rezound via Swype & Tapatalk
  13. #13  

    Default Re: I've already got a working smartphone... but why am I so drawn to the $349 Moto X?

    Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    I'm having this issue as well XD
    I have an S4 and it is an amazing phone, but if I could trade it for a Moto X, I probably would.
    I like it mostly because of the size, but the software it has to offer is very intriguing. Needless to say, I'm definitely buying an X2

    Posted via Android Central App
    That is exactly what i'm about to do. Bye Bye S4.
  14. #14  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    5,501 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,580 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

    Default Re: I've already got a working smartphone... but why am I so drawn to the $349 Moto X?

    Quote Originally Posted by ReggieTee View Post
    That is exactly what i'm about to do. Bye Bye S4.
    Selling the S4 or going to look for someone to trade with? I doubt anybody would trade their X, especially for this phone

    Posted via Android Central App
    Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

    R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever
  15. #15  

    Default Re: I've already got a working smartphone... but why am I so drawn to the $349 Moto X?

    Quote Originally Posted by ap3604 View Post
    I already have a Macbook Air + iPhone 5s combination that works for me.
    A little off topic, but how much memory does your MB Air have if you don't mind me asking.

    I picked up the 13" 128gb model for my wife for Christmas at a black Friday price but now I'm having buyer's remorse thinking that's not enough memory. We already have our iTunes library on our network hard drive and a store rep told me that I should be able to do the same with an iPhoto library.


    Sent from my HTC Rezound via Swype & Tapatalk
  16. #16  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    5,501 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,580 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

    Default Re: I've already got a working smartphone... but why am I so drawn to the $349 Moto X?

    Quote Originally Posted by dmark44 View Post
    A little off topic, but how much memory does your MB Air have if you don't mind me asking.

    I picked up the 13" 128gb model for my wife for Christmas at a black Friday price but now I'm having buyer's remorse thinking that's not enough memory. We already have our iTunes library on our network hard drive and a store rep told me that I should be able to do the same with an iPhoto library.


    Sent from my HTC Rezound via Swype & Tapatalk
    128 GB seems pretty low for a laptop. I think mine (not a Mac) has somewhere closer to 500 O_o

    Posted via Android Central App
    Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

    R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  
    ap3604's Avatar

    Posts
    79 Posts
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts

    Default Re: I've already got a working smartphone... but why am I so drawn to the $349 Moto X?

    Quote Originally Posted by dmark44 View Post
    A little off topic, but how much memory does your MB Air have if you don't mind me asking.

    I picked up the 13" 128gb model for my wife for Christmas at a black Friday price but now I'm having buyer's remorse thinking that's not enough memory. We already have our iTunes library on our network hard drive and a store rep told me that I should be able to do the same with an iPhoto library.
    I bought the Haswell 128gb version at Best Buy for $899 ($1099 - $100 on sale - $100 for college student discount) and it has been more than enough for me.

    Then again though I'm the type of person who roams slickdeals and bought myself two 1tb USB 3.0 portable hard drives for $48 each in case I ran out of storage (IMO a much better option than paying for a bigger SSD drive)
    Thanked by:
    UJ95x likes this.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: I've already got a working smartphone... but why am I so drawn to the $349 Moto X?

    Quote Originally Posted by mayconvert View Post
    No it isn't. I work at apple and own a moto x. The exterior size is so minimal, one handed use is no harder than the 5S.
    The difference is no massive bezel on the top, sides and bottom of the screen like the iPhone has. You simply get a much large screen and the device is .26 inches wider and .22 inches taller, negated by the fact that the X is thinner on the edges.
    Those dimensional differences doesn't effect 1 handed usage. I use both devices all day long.
    Look at the specs broji. iPhone 5 is like 58mm wide. Moto X is over 65 mm wide. Thus it is indisputably 10%+ wider. Not sure how you can argue with me about that.

    And as to whether one handed use is harder, I guess that's subjective. I also own and use both and I think the smaller width of the iPhone is superior for one handed use. Absolutely no question that the iPhone 5 feels smaller I'm hand. Because it is smaller. Period. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is up to you.
  19. #19  

    Default Re: I've already got a working smartphone... but why am I so drawn to the $349 Moto X?

    Quote Originally Posted by torifile View Post
    Thank you for backing me up. When I was shopping for the X, I put my iPhone directly on top of it and vice versa, just to see, and they were really close in size. Certainly not big enough to affect usability. Again, in my mind, this is a GOOD thing. The iPhone 5 is a perfect size, IMHO.
    This isn't tough folks. Look at the spec sheets that give the size of each phone. The i5 is smaller and lighter, period. Including being 10% narrower. Whether that's good or bad is up to you, but to say they are the same size is wrong. Period.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: I've already got a working smartphone... but why am I so drawn to the $349 Moto X?

    Totally understand what you mean, I have a IP5S, iPad Mini Retna, iPad Air, MacBook Air, iMac and still for some strange reason felt compelled to try out this phone. I am on day 3 with it and enjoying it more each day. It's not my main devise, I carry both phones because we have an extra line on our family plan. Not sure if I will be keeping it or not, still have 11 more play days with it. I really enjoy being able to customize the home screens so much and like that it's "always listening". Moto did a great job with this phone, I'm glad to see such good competition for the iPhone, as consumers we all benefit that way.
    dmark44 likes this.
  21. #21  
    S.Meezy's Avatar

    Posts
    121 Posts
    ROM
    Revo DeCrap 1.1

    Default Re: I've already got a working smartphone... but why am I so drawn to the $349 Moto X?

    Quote Originally Posted by phositadc View Post
    This isn't tough folks. Look at the spec sheets that give the size of each phone. The i5 is smaller and lighter, period. Including being 10% narrower. Whether that's good or bad is up to you, but to say they are the same size is wrong. Period.
    I've already got a working smartphone... but why am I so drawn to the 9 Moto X?-img_20131211_091312.jpg

    I've already got a working smartphone... but why am I so drawn to the 9 Moto X?-img_20131211_091156.jpg

    Sorry for the quality, N7 camera. Yes, I took a picture with my tab but it was for science!
    Phones are my drug of choice
    Thanked by:
  22. #22  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    5,501 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,580 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

    Default Re: I've already got a working smartphone... but why am I so drawn to the $349 Moto X?

    Quote Originally Posted by phositadc View Post
    This isn't tough folks. Look at the spec sheets that give the size of each phone. The i5 is smaller and lighter, period. Including being 10% narrower. Whether that's good or bad is up to you, but to say they are the same size is wrong. Period.
    Its narrower at the top; towards the bottom, you know, where you actually hold the phone? That's where it's narrower because of the curves

    Posted via Android Central App
    Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

    R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever
  23. #23  

    Default Re: I've already got a working smartphone... but why am I so drawn to the $349 Moto X?

    Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    I'm having this issue as well XD
    I have an S4 and it is an amazing phone, but if I could trade it for a Moto X, I probably would.
    I like it mostly because of the size, but the software it has to offer is very intriguing. Needless to say, I'm definitely buying an X2

    Posted via Android Central App
    I traded my s4 for a moto x and don't regret it at all. I was kinda worried at first because I was all ooh ahh about the s4 and the features that I never used anyways. I actually use the touch less controls on the x.

    Sent from my XT1058 using AC Forums mobile app
  24. #24  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    5,501 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,580 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

    Default Re: I've already got a working smartphone... but why am I so drawn to the $349 Moto X?

    Quote Originally Posted by jaleesag88 View Post
    I traded my s4 for a moto x and don't regret it at all. I was kinda worried at first because I was all ooh ahh about the s4 and the features that I never used anyways. I actually use the touch less controls on the x.

    Sent from my XT1058 using AC Forums mobile app
    How did you trade it?

    Posted via Android Central App
    Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

    R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever
  25. #25  

    Default Re: I've already got a working smartphone... but why am I so drawn to the $349 Moto X?

    Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    How did you trade it?

    Posted via Android Central App
    I put an ad on Craigslist that I was looking to trade and someone got ahold of me the next day.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. whereis the mic?
    By ExceptforKhloe in forum HTC One V
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-16-2013, 10:32 AM
  2. Unlocking Moto x on Verizon
    By gza1105 in forum Moto X
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-13-2013, 12:10 AM
  3. To hangout or not to hangout?
    By Edible Walrus in forum Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-11-2013, 04:07 PM
  4. Where the H is Google Play Edition Moto X?
    By still1 in forum Moto X
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-11-2013, 08:39 AM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-10-2013, 07:12 PM

Posting Permissions

B