Best Vehicle dock for the Moto X?

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I really want a Griffin Nav Dock for my Moto X, but given the continued lack of availability (due to quality issues I've heard?), I'm looking for another option. I was considering this dock from Amazon, but was wondering what the rest of you use, if you like them, and if there is a way to get them to automatically launch driving mode.

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I really want a Griffin Nav Dock for my Moto X, but given the continued lack of availability (due to quality issues I've heard?), I'm looking for another option. I was considering this dock from Amazon, but was wondering what the rest of you use, if you like them, and if there is a way to get them to automatically launch driving mode.

I love my Griffin dock

Posted via Android Central App

sunburned

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I had a proclip mount in my WRX. It was nice and all, but would move around sometimes when I tried to take the phone out.

When I sold that car and got another vehicle, I used just the proclip phone holder and made my own vehicle mount. Made a metal bracket that bolts into the radio hold down screws and comes out from behind the radio bezel. Bolted the phone holder to it and it sits exactly where I want it.

My advice for a MotoX with a very thin case: I previously had an HTC Rezound that I used without a case. The Rezound was much thicker than the X, but the exact same height and width, so the X fit in the holder width wise, but was a little loose front to back. I took the holder and held it over a candle at the corners and slightly bent each side outward when the plastic got soft. Now with a thin case on the X, it fits perfect in the mount and holds it very securely. When I want to take the case off, it still fits and sits vertical in the mount, but rattles around slightly.

JasonPro

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
I got the iOttie HLCRIO102 and I've been happy with it. The phone is very stable and the suction cup is strong enough that I just put it right on my dashboard rather than the windshield. None of the buttons are pressed or blocked by the mount.

sh0ebox

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
After much searching, I now own and love my Kenu Airframe. It is a vent mount so I know it won't please everyone, but I love that it is well-designed, inconspicuous, and very small/portable (works as a stand if you slip a credit card into the vent clips).

I settled on this after purchasing an iOttie HLCRIO102 One Touch mount and realizing that it wasn't for me. While it is obviously much more versatile than the Kenu Airframe and allows for tons of adjustments to get the viewing angle just right, it's too big and conspicuous for what I wanted. Also, the suction cup is SUPER sticky/strong (which can be a good thing), which made it nearly impossible to remove from my dashboard when I wasn't using it and wanted to put it away. I don't use GPS very often so I wanted something that didn't stick out and could be easily removed if necessary. I had to sacrifice adjustability, but fortunately the Kenu Airframe is so well designed I can still easily operate it with one hand without worrying about its ability to securely hold my phone.

In my old car, I had the Mountek nGroove universal CD slot mount which was also a great mount. However it did stop functioning properly after some time, as the release button jammed and would no longer allow the clamp to open. The other downside is it may obstruct the view of your nav/LCD if you have one in your car.

jexx

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
I too have been running the Kenu Airframe for about a month after trying a few others. Like shoebox says very inconspicuous,small and portable. Kenu Airframe

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Some of these look very nice, but none would automatically put the phone into car mode. Is there some easy way to do that? Do I need to buy a special cable, or is there some widget I could touch that would take care of that?

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
it looks like you need to attach a steel plate to the phone to use that one. How would you do that with the Moto X? It's back doesn't open.

dbam987

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Some of these look very nice, but none would automatically put the phone into car mode. Is there some easy way to do that? Do I need to buy a special cable, or is there some widget I could touch that would take care of that?

The Assist app can monitor when your driving by using the GPS to determine your speed. You'll need to turn on the feature in the Assist app. Hope that helps.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

asdrew

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I got a Moto Roadster 2 Bluetooth speaker my wife is giving me for Christmas. I intend to set the Trigger app to use that connection to activate car mode actions.

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I got the iOttie HLCRIO102 and I've been happy with it. The phone is very stable and the suction cup is strong enough that I just put it right on my dashboard rather than the windshield. None of the buttons are pressed or blocked by the mount.

How does it not hit the buttons? Mine worked great with my s3 but with all buttons on one side it always covers the buttons.

Posted via Android Central App

pjo1966

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Ordered. I already have the suction cup part of the mount. This looks like a nice solution. I got tired of going to Verizon stores to see what they have in stock.

The suction part of the mount I have is not compatible with this. Crap.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol