Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Best Vehicle dock for the Moto X?

I really want a Griffin Nav Dock for my Moto X, but given the continued lack of availability (due to quality issues I've heard?), I'm looking for another option. I was considering this dock from Amazon, but was wondering what the rest of you use, if you like them, and if there is a way to get them to automatically launch driving mode.

Default Re: Best Vehicle dock for the Moto X?

I've been using mounts for years. They are pricey but you do get what you pay for

3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by MarkHirt View Post
    I've been using mounts for years. They are pricey but you do get what you pay for

I don't like where the dash mount for the proclip would be in my car. It blocks the driver side air vent almost entirely.
    dmark44 likes this.

Those look awesome but how to they handle cases? I just have the case from Motorola on it so it is pretty thin. Do you have to go without a case to use that?

The ones made for the phone fit very snug, no room for a case of but they also sell , best to call to get the right one for the X

Quote Originally Posted by jdevenberg View Post
    I really want a Griffin Nav Dock for my Moto X, but given the continued lack of availability (due to quality issues I've heard?), I'm looking for another option. I was considering this dock from Amazon, but was wondering what the rest of you use, if you like them, and if there is a way to get them to automatically launch driving mode.
    I love my Griffin dock

Posted via Android Central App

I had a proclip mount in my WRX. It was nice and all, but would move around sometimes when I tried to take the phone out.

When I sold that car and got another vehicle, I used just the proclip phone holder and made my own vehicle mount. Made a metal bracket that bolts into the radio hold down screws and comes out from behind the radio bezel. Bolted the phone holder to it and it sits exactly where I want it.

My advice for a MotoX with a very thin case: I previously had an HTC Rezound that I used without a case. The Rezound was much thicker than the X, but the exact same height and width, so the X fit in the holder width wise, but was a little loose front to back. I took the holder and held it over a candle at the corners and slightly bent each side outward when the plastic got soft. Now with a thin case on the X, it fits perfect in the mount and holds it very securely. When I want to take the case off, it still fits and sits vertical in the mount, but rattles around slightly.

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

I got the iOttie HLCRIO102 and I've been happy with it. The phone is very stable and the suction cup is strong enough that I just put it right on my dashboard rather than the windshield. None of the buttons are pressed or blocked by the mount.

Pretty sure there isn't a best one, but I got this a couple days ago, made in America and better than any other generic dock I've tried:

After much searching, I now own and love my . It is a vent mount so I know it won't please everyone, but I love that it is well-designed, inconspicuous, and very small/portable (works as a stand if you slip a credit card into the vent clips).

I settled on this after purchasing an iOttie HLCRIO102 One Touch mount and realizing that it wasn't for me. While it is obviously much more versatile than the Kenu Airframe and allows for tons of adjustments to get the viewing angle just right, it's too big and conspicuous for what I wanted. Also, the suction cup is SUPER sticky/strong (which can be a good thing), which made it nearly impossible to remove from my dashboard when I wasn't using it and wanted to put it away. I don't use GPS very often so I wanted something that didn't stick out and could be easily removed if necessary. I had to sacrifice adjustability, but fortunately the Kenu Airframe is so well designed I can still easily operate it with one hand without worrying about its ability to securely hold my phone.

In my old car, I had the Mountek nGroove universal CD slot mount which was also a great mount. However it did stop functioning properly after some time, as the release button jammed and would no longer allow the clamp to open. The other downside is it may obstruct the view of your nav/LCD if you have one in your car.
    Thanked by:

I too have been running the Kenu Airframe for about a month after trying a few others. Like shoebox says very inconspicuous,small and portable. Kenu Airframe

I've been using the . Unfortunately, you need to use two hands to mount and unmount the phone.
    ---
    Proud owner of a Moto X, Nexus 7, and Nexus 10.

Some of these look very nice, but none would automatically put the phone into car mode. Is there some easy way to do that? Do I need to buy a special cable, or is there some widget I could touch that would take care of that?

Quote Originally Posted by jdevenberg View Post
    it looks like you need to attach a steel plate to the phone to use that one. How would you do that with the Moto X? It's back doesn't open.

Quote Originally Posted by asdrew View Post
    Pretty sure there isn't a best one, but I got this a couple days ago, made in America and better than any other generic dock I've tried:
    This thing looks like ET times 4.
    asdrew likes this.

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by asdrew View Post
    Ordered. I already have the suction cup part of the mount. This looks like a nice solution. I got tired of going to Verizon stores to see what they have in stock.
    asdrew likes this.

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Puzzlegal View Post
    Some of these look very nice, but none would automatically put the phone into car mode. Is there some easy way to do that? Do I need to buy a special cable, or is there some widget I could touch that would take care of that?
    The Assist app can monitor when your driving by using the GPS to determine your speed. You'll need to turn on the feature in the Assist app. Hope that helps.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

I got a Moto Roadster 2 Bluetooth speaker my wife is giving me for Christmas. I intend to set the Trigger app to use that connection to activate car mode actions.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonPro View Post
    I got the iOttie HLCRIO102 and I've been happy with it. The phone is very stable and the suction cup is strong enough that I just put it right on my dashboard rather than the windshield. None of the buttons are pressed or blocked by the mount.
    How does it not hit the buttons? Mine worked great with my s3 but with all buttons on one side it always covers the buttons.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pjo1966 View Post
    Ordered. I already have the suction cup part of the mount. This looks like a nice solution. I got tired of going to Verizon stores to see what they have in stock.
    The suction part of the mount I have is not compatible with this. Crap.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

So these are two parts? One that attaches to the car and stays regardless of phone dock, and then the second part is the phone dock that can be changed on the same car dock?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
    Motorola Moto X on Verizon
    -Motorola Droid RAZR Maxx HD (Ret)
    -Motorola Droid 4 (Ret)
    -HTC Droid Incredible 2 (Ret)
    -Motorola Droid (Ret)

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

It's triggered by a magnet. I accidently discovered this when my Moto X was sitting on the smart cover for my Nexus 7. There are two locations: 1) For home/desk dock, 2) One for the vehicle dock. Find that location and line it up with your dock that you end going with and put a magnet there. I too have been patiently waiting for the Griffin dock, but growing tired of waiting and started searching for options. How I got to this thread.
    Thanked by:
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Quote Originally Posted by capitala23 View Post
    It's triggered by a magnet. I accidently discovered this when my Moto X was sitting on the smart cover for my Nexus 7. There are two locations: 1) For home/desk dock, 2) One for the vehicle dock. Find that location and line it up with your dock that you end going with and put a magnet there. I too have been patiently waiting for the Griffin dock, but growing tired of waiting and started searching for options. How I got to this thread.
    I ended up with a Clingo dock. I'm quite happy with it.

I ended up with the Kenu Airframe. I had to fiddle with it a bit to get it set up so it was firmly attached, didn't block anything I cared about, and had the "stretchy" side on the side that made it more convenient to get the phone in and out. But having done that, I like it a lot. It is small and inconspicuous, it holds the phone firmly, it leaves everything clear that needs to be clear (buttons, usb port) and it's convenient, and holds the phone in a handy place. I like it so much I bought a second one for travel, and for the other car. (It lives in the other car, but I will grab it when I travel.) AND, I expect i can use it with my next phone, too.

Is it easy to get the Moto X in and out of the AirFrame one-handed? I picked up a Bracketron model at Costco last week; it works similar to the AirFrame, except that both sides slide out from the center, making it impossible to use one-handed because you have to push the one side out twice as far, and the spring is too stiff. I ended up returning it.

Also, is it possible to angle the phone toward the driver with the AirFrame, or are you pretty much forced to have the back of the phone parallel to the dash/vent?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast