The woven white back of the Moto X Dev Ed is really ugly :(

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
It didn't look so bad online, but in person, wow is it ugly and cheap looking. And I bet it won't wear well, either. I am definitely going to look into changing the backing on my phone.

arisenfury

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
I think its fine, but if you're unhappy with it that's no one's fault but your own. Do you always buy something without first seeing it?

Posted via Android Central App

MikeG7265

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
And it's slick too. I ordered a Navy blue back from eBay and replaced mine. Now it looks more like a MM one instead.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

CutlaSS

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Thats the beauty of customization. You can get exactly what you want. I don't think any other phone has more options than the X. I actually like the white back of my Dev. Ed.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I think its fine, but if you're unhappy with it that's no one's fault but your own. Do you always buy something without first seeing it?
[inappropriate content deleted by moderator] The Dev Eds are not in the stores for you to see and if you want to unlock your bootloader AND have a warranty, you have no choice but the ugly, cheap looking woven white back.

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeG7265

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
are you worried about warranty? what will you do, put it back if you need warranty service?

Nah, not really worried. But like you said, if I need to use it I'll just put the old back on. Wasn't really too hard to change.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Thats the beauty of customization. You can get exactly what you want. I don't think any other phone has more options than the X. I actually like the white back of my Dev. Ed.
you can't customize the Dev Eds and you can't unlock the bootloader AND keep your warranty if you buy a customized moto x from motorola.

- - - Updated - - -

Nah, not really worried. But like you said, if I need to use it I'll just put the old back on. Wasn't really too hard to change.
good to know!

CutlaSS

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
You might not be able to customize them with moto maker but you can change the back cover yourself to whatever color. Quit bitchin' and buy a new back. Simple as that!

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm on Verizon but I went to the local AT&T store to check out moto maker options before it was even available @ Verizon. AT&T had a great display where you could touch and see every back plate. They also had black and white standard models on display. It was there I was able to see that I didn't care for the feel or look of the white woven back (which surprised me.) I ruled out a Dev edition then (especially @ $650 at the time and I was only really interested in the 32gb.)

Sent from my HTC Rezound via Swype & Tapatalk

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
You might not be able to customize them with moto maker but you can change the back cover yourself to whatever color. Quit bitchin' and buy a new back. Simple as that!
That's what I will be doing as soon as I thoroughly test my device to make sure it is fully functional.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm on Verizon but I went to the local AT&T store to check out moto maker options before it was even available @ Verizon. AT&T had a great display where you could touch and see every back plate. They also had black and white standard models on display. If was there I was able to see that I didn't care for the feel or look of the white woven back (which surprised me.) I ruled out a Dev edition then (especially @ $650 at the time and I was only really interested in the 32gb.)
good to know. I am on verizon, too and didn't think of going to ATT. I just assumed they would have the same display.

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
And it's slick too. I ordered a Navy blue back from eBay and replaced mine. Now it looks more like a MM one instead.

Glad to know it's easy enough to do! Even if I don't want to change colors, it's nice to know I could change a damaged/discolored backplate.

Two days after I got my Rezound, I dropped it and the only damage was a little crack in the back plate. It was nice just buying one for $10 to make my phone look brand new again!

Sent from my HTC Rezound via Swype & Tapatalk

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Looks like I'm alone. I ended up liking the white back of the dev edition more than I thought I would.

Sent from my XT1053 using AC Forums mobile app

Sophos

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I don't HATE the DE back.....but I don't particularly like it either. Looking At the photos online I assumed the the woven back was textured, I'm kinda disappointed it isn't.

I play with my food