1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Moto X Developer Edition swapping between AT&T and Tmobile networks

I have the Moto X Developer Edition. I am testing a possible move from AT&T to Tmobile. I have been doing this by swapping the SIMs between AT&T and Tmobile as I need to. This mostly works and the phone recognizes the carrier change. However, when going from Tmobile to AT&T, I seem to lose connectivity to AT&T LTE. Any idea why the phone is not connecting to the AT&T LTE signal? Any idea on how to get the phone to reconnect using AT&T?

I checked the APN settings both before swapping SIMs (when LTE worked) and after swapping SIMs and the settings are the same. Note I am testing in the same location so I know that AT&T LTE is available and is a strong signal. I have also tried restarting the phone, but that does not restore the LTE connection.

I had LTE working on AT&T prior to swapping in the Tmobile SIM. When using the Tmobile SIM, I always have LTE working.

Not sure if it's related, but once after losing AT&T LTE, I placed the SIM into an iPhone 5 which connected to AT&T LTE. When moving the SIM back to the Moto X AT&T LTE worked.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: Moto X Developer Edition swapping between AT&T and Tmobile networks

With more playing around I found that the Network Mode setting did not have a value selected (should be either Automatic or 2G only). Once I changed the setting to Automatic, the phone connected to the AT&T LTE signal. Not sure why the setting is not being set after switching SIMs, but LTE is reliably working again.

Good update and good to hear it's working - thanks!

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by stevet48 View Post
    With more playing around I found that the Network Mode setting did not have a value selected (should be either Automatic or 2G only). Once I changed the setting to Automatic, the phone connected to the AT&T LTE signal. Not sure why the setting is not being set after switching SIMs, but LTE is reliably working again.
    I have the T-Mobile (which is the same as the DE) version, and on AT&T. Can you tell me how to check if you're on AT&T's LTE network. Does the logo change? I'm not sure if I'm on LTE or not. AT&T keep telling me that the 4G logo is all I'm going to see. Thanks.

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts

If youre using a T-Mo\Dev Edition on any LTE network (including AT&T) you should see a 4G logo with LTE on the side vertically.

The AT&T model has AT&T's own modified "4G LTE" logo.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_S. View Post
    I have the T-Mobile (which is the same as the DE) version, and on AT&T. Can you tell me how to check if you're on AT&T's LTE network. Does the logo change? I'm not sure if I'm on LTE or not. AT&T keep telling me that the 4G logo is all I'm going to see. Thanks.
    I have the same set-up: mine has a little vertical "LTE" to the right of the "G"

Quote Originally Posted by omega1300 View Post
    I have the same set-up: mine has a little vertical "LTE" to the right of the "G"

Did you have to get your phone provisioned in some way, by giving them the IMEI? It would appear I'm not on their LTE, as I'm not seeing the vertical LTE part.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Did you get a new SIM from AT&T or did you bring a SIM from another LTE enabled phone? I ended up getting a new SIM and they had to provision it to my Note 2 for it to see that it was an LTE device. From there I was able to put the new SIM in the Moto X and manually select Automatic for the Network Mode.

As others stated, you should see LTE vertically next to the 4G symbol.

Quote Originally Posted by stevet48 View Post
    Did you get a new SIM from AT&T or did you bring a SIM from another LTE enabled phone? I ended up getting a new SIM and they had to provision it to my Note 2 for it to see that it was an LTE device. From there I was able to put the new SIM in the Moto X and manually select Automatic for the Network Mode.

As others stated, you should see LTE vertically next to the 4G symbol.
    Went to an AT&T store last night, and watch an hour of my life slip away as I watched them fumble to get it work. My current IMEI was for a Blackberry, apparently (even though my previous phone was a Nexus 4). But my Moto X's IMEI apparently was coming up as a Windows Phone (!), so after an hour or so, they fudged it to use an old SkyRocket IMEI that I had, so they could switch my unlimited data plan to the LTE one. Now I have the vertical LTE symbol, and I'm good to go. Cheers everyone!