• 7 Post By uscsailor
  • 2 Post By Champion1229
  • 1 Post By roadrat
  • 1 Post By dmark44
  • 2 Post By jfulton67
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Any updates on FoxFi for KitKat

Need to tether
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 02-22-2014 at 09:35 AM.

Default Re: Any updates on FoxFi for kit kat

Last I checked it was still not working. I decided to root with the SlapMyMoto exploit and then installed the tethering entitlement mod. The process was tedious but went smoothly, so I can now tether with my vzw unlimited data plan again.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Plaz View Post
    Last I checked it was still not working. I decided to root with the SlapMyMoto exploit and then installed the tethering entitlement mod. The process was tedious but went smoothly, so I can now tether with my vzw unlimited data plan again.

Thanks.
    Is there any downside to slapmymoto? can you get OTA's after doing it?

Quote Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
    Need to tether
    You could, um, pay for tethering.
    Ry likes this.

Why pay extra for something you're already paying for? Smh..

Posted via Android Central App
    Anthony_NE likes this.

Does PDANet still work?

Posted via Android Central App on my Moto X

Quote Originally Posted by QuadForce View Post
    Why pay extra for something you're already paying for? Smh..

Well, if you're not using your carrier's tethering plan/app, you're not "already paying for it." FoxFi and other options circumvent the official options. It is stealing... I don't care what folks do, but own that you are in fact using services you're not paying for.
    Ry likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by drvier8 View Post
    Well, if you're not using your carrier's tethering plan/app, you're not "already paying for it." FoxFi and other options circumvent the official options. It is stealing... I don't care what folks do, but own that you are in fact using services you're not paying for.
    Not really, he is paying for the data. Data is data no matter what device he is using. Tethering doesn't cost the provider any more than using data on a phone does. He should be allowed to use the data he pays for however he wants, without a carrier charging him.

Please tell me how it is considered stealing (I really wanna hear the other side to this argument) because within my terms of service it basically states that as long as my bill is paid in full at the end of the month then I am allowed an unlimited amount of data. Now I'm no lawyer but when they say unlimited amount of data it seems safe to assume there is no limit upon where or when the usage occurs and it doesn't matter on which device I use that data. Oh and theres also a little matter of the FCC. So far they have ruled that wireless carriers have no right to purposefully limit what a paying customer does with the data they legitimately pay for (i.e. the carrier cannot restrict how or on what device the data is used on). Verizon actually had to pay a few million dollar fine for violating this with their 4G customers however the wording of the ruling was rather loose so Verizon was able to work their way out of applying the ruling to their unlimited data users and only imposed the open policy with tiered customers.
    waltermax and QuadForce like this.

Quote Originally Posted by uscsailor View Post
    Not really, he is paying for the data. Data is data no matter what device he is using. Tethering doesn't cost the provider any more than using data on a phone does. He should be allowed to use the data he pays for however he wants, without a carrier charging him.

Do I really need to explain contract law?

I agree in principle, that the contract SHOULD be that I get to use the data I pay for (be it a set limit or unlimited) the way I choose. That, however, is not the contract folks who need FoxFi signed. If you carrier cancels your contract or retroactively switches your billing to a plan that does include tethering, you will lose if you contest the action.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

I hate that this thread has gotten side tracked with other people's moral stance to a technical question. My question relates to a 2gb plan, not an unlimited plan.
    David Coconut likes this.

Thanks.
    The primary downside is possibly bricking your phone if you perform the hack incorrectly. You apply the current 4.4 OTA as part of the process, but there is a decent chance that a future OTA update won't apply without first reverting back to stock 4.2.2 (which is doable).

Quote Originally Posted by uscsailor View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Plaz View Post
    The primary downside is possibly bricking your phone if you perform the hack incorrectly. You apply the current 4.4 OTA as part of the process, but there is a decent chance that a future OTA update won't apply without first reverting back to stock 4.2.2 (which is doable).

Not to mention, you void the warranty. Moto says your warranty is reinstated when you go back to stock... when you're using the Developer Edition. It's unclear if they take the same stance with the non-DE models, but probably not.

Sent from my Moto X
    Ry likes this.

Verizon specifically lost in court on this issue. It was decided that customers using third party apps, could use their data plan any way they chose. The phone is yours. The plan is yours. You are allowed to modify your phone, though it may void your warranty, but there is nothing illegal about it. Apps like FoxFi are perfectly legitimate ways of using your data, and there is no stealing whatsoever, because you pay for you data, not the way in which you use it.
    Thanked by:
    hirshey21 and theiconicmind like this.

Those still with unlimited data plans are not covered by the lawsuit and still have to pay tethering fees...

I simply can't believe that carriers with finite data allotments are not allowing tethering. Imagine if your ISP at home said one computer per household? If I'm paying for 3gb who cares if I use it for my tablet or my smartphone? I'm sorry but I don't have any sympathy for the way carriers treat tethering rules. If there is a way to circumvent their stupidity I won't lose any sleep over it at night. Imagine if you went to a restaurant and ordered dessert and they said you couldn't share it? It's the SAME freaking thing!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by David Coconut View Post
    Imagine if your ISP at home said one computer per household?
    Imagine if you went to a restaurant and ordered dessert and they said you couldn't share it? It's the SAME freaking thing!!!!
    When cable and dsl were first being installed, they were charging per computer. In order to get around it, you had to install your own router or gateway & tell the ISP you were using a Linux machine so that they would give you the information you needed to set it up correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by rvandroid View Post
    Those still with unlimited data plans are not covered by the lawsuit and still have to pay tethering fees...
    The op has a limited data plan. This is legal. And really, while I understand not allowing tethering on unlimited plans, I don't see a moral case for a carrier to restrict that on a limited-data plan.

It took a while for foxfi to update the last time requiring a vpn. It will probably take longer to exploit 4.4 being that it was made to not allow it. The only thing I would like to know is if they are actually working on it or not.

Luckily, for family trips I still have my razr maxx that I can turn back on for periods of time.

Do I really need to explain contract law?
    Yes, specifically what you need to explain is how any of Verizon's TOS provisions that are in conflict with the FCC regulations on its block C licenses are void as a matter of law. Then you need to explain the FCC regulations on Verizon's block C licenses. After you have researched that, get back to us, kay?

Thanks.
    The downside to SlapMyMoto is it is a complicated process. There are reports on XDA of people who rooted using SMM keeping root after the took the OTA. However, you have to reverse the entitlement hack to take the OTA and if taking the OTA re-enables write protection you can't get it back. Some say they kept write protection disabled when they took the OTA, others say it was re-enabled for them. YMMV.