1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Moto X Won't Sleep - Idle Battery Drain

I recently got my Moto X and for the most part I like it. However, idle battery drain is not what I would like it to be. For whatever reason, my Moto X does not like going to sleep and prefers staying in the lowest clock speed.

I have disabled touchless control, active display, Google Now, location reporting, location history, NFC, bluetooth, and probably a few more that I missed. And I uninstalled the Facebook app as well. But I don't know what is causing it. And everywhere I look online people say to download a specific battery stats app, but on 4.4 they all require root to be useful.

I don't want to root my phone at the moment, I just want it to stop sucking battery all the time. Anybody know what could be causing this or have suggestions on what to try to pinpoint the issue?

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moto X Won't Sleep - Idle Battery Drain-2013-12-14-00.05.28.png  

Default Re: Moto X Won't Sleep - Idle Battery Drain

Post your battery stats showing percentages.

Posted via Android Central App
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Here's the latest. Its got an hour of SOT. But SOT isn't really an issue right now, idle drain is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moto X Won't Sleep - Idle Battery Drain-2013-12-14-02.06.01.png  

When did you download and install the Kit Kat update? After a major system upgrade often times the core android processes will stay active longer to do maintenance on the old junk files from the previous OS.

If unlock the Droid Maxx can I use it on straight talk

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by Champion1229 View Post
    When did you download and install the Kit Kat update? After a major system upgrade often times the core android processes will stay active longer to do maintenance on the old junk files from the previous OS.

I actually upgraded to 4.4 right when I first set up the phone. I just got it a couple days ago. And this whole time it is as 384 MHz more often than deep sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by dbsallis View Post
    If unlock the Droid Maxx can I use it on straight talk

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    Dude!? Why in the world are you asking that in this thread? Are you lost or something? Haha

Go ask that here:
    Motorola Droid MAXX - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com
    Droid RAZR MAXX - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

I'm actually having similar issues with my MX right now. The one thing that I did that change that started destroying my battery life was switching over from Dalvik to ART. Not sure which runtime that you're using but it had a major negative impact on my battery life. I switched back over to Dalvik earlier today and it already seems to be holding up better. I think that I'm going to FDR in Recovery again to see if that helps out matters.That would also give me a clean slate to really figure out what's going on. Your Android OS is through the roof which is going to decimate your battery life. Did you FDR after updating to Kit Kat 4.4? That could possibly help out and clean things up. You don't have to but I also FDR after I install an update simply because I don't want anything lingering from the prior version. Just a thought and definitely worth a try.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by calmlydefyinglogic View Post
    I'm actually having similar issues with my MX right now. The one thing that I did that change that started destroying my battery life was switching over from Dalvik to ART. Not sure which runtime that you're using but it had a major negative impact on my battery life. I switched back over to Dalvik earlier today and it already seems to be holding up better. I think that I'm going to FDR in Recovery again to see if that helps out matters.That would also give me a clean slate to really figure out what's going on. Your Android OS is through the roof which is going to decimate your battery life. Did you FDR after updating to Kit Kat 4.4? That could possibly help out and clean things up. You don't have to but I also FDR after I install an update simply because I don't want anything lingering from the prior version. Just a thought and definitely worth a try.
    Once I got the phone, I took it out of the box, turned it on, and had the update to 4.4 right away. Haven't changed runtime to ART, still on Dalvik.

Quote Originally Posted by strausd View Post
    Once I got the phone, I took it out of the box, turned it on, and had the update to 4.4 right away. Haven't changed runtime to ART, still on Dalvik.
    Initially I did the same thing and my battery life was decent. Then I went into Recovery and did 4 FDR and things got even better. I was getting about 5 hrs SOT which is good with me. Now things have changed and I'm only getting about 3:30 hrs SOT which sucks. I'm going to FDR again and switch back to Dalvik to see if that helps my situation. The only thing that I can recommend for you at this point is to go into Recovery and FDR a few times and then skip past all the sign ins and turn off Auto Restore and then sign in. That's what I did the first time and I was pretty satisfied with performance then. Then just methodically reinstall apps a handful at a time and keep an eye on battery stats to see if maybe an app was causing your battery drain.

Global Posts
    425 Global Posts

Are you sure you just don't have a bunch of apps running a lot in the background?

Quote Originally Posted by KWKSLVR View Post
    Are you sure you just don't have a bunch of apps running a lot in the background?

If you're asking me then the answer is no. I didn't have any apps running in the background because I was losing battery life like it was a good thing. Last night I went ahead and charged to 100%, switched back to Dalvik, then went into Recovery and did a few FDR and manually installed my apps. Left it off the charger overnight and so far things are already looking better this go round. I update this once I've drained and recharged the battery some more but I'm hoping that I've solved my personal battery issue.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Things have gone much better today after going to the process I described earlier.

Prior to doing any of this I charged to 100% and made sure that I was switched back over to Dalvik from ART.

Just to recap, I booted into Recovery (power off, press and hold VOL UP+PWR for 2 sec then let go), scroll to Recover and press VOL UP, once booted into Recovery scroll down to Factory Data WIPE and press the POWER button (I usually wipe 4 times because I'm OCD), then scroll down to WIPE CACHE PARTITION and wipe which will cause your Moto X to reboot. Then just skip past all the sign in setup and then go to the Settings menu and be sure to jump into Backup & Reset first and turn off Automatic Restore and then log into your Google account. After that you should be good to go.

Then you can start installing apps again a few at a time if you really want to be thorough and watch battery drain every hour and install additional apps. This is what I did and I'm not seeing the terrible battery life that I was prior to doing all this. The only app that I didn't reinstall was Instapaper. So far so good but I'll keep you updated.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moto X Won't Sleep - Idle Battery Drain-uploadfromtaptalk1387046256564.jpg   Moto X Won't Sleep - Idle Battery Drain-uploadfromtaptalk1387046271512.jpg  
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

The battery life I was getting was awful and nowhere near good by my standards. Luckily the Moto X agreed with me. I was loosing 4-5% every hour without doing anything. By that alone, 100% pure idle time wouldn't reach the 24 hours of moderate use marketed. I did a factory reset, didn't install anything, and left it unplugged overnight for 8 hours and it only lost 10%. Huge difference. And before, 384 MHz would take majority over deep sleep. Deep sleep would be lucky to hit 30% (see the first picture and deep sleep is at 11%) and 384 MHz would be above 50%. After last nights test deep sleep was at 95%. Now I just have to figure out which app was causing it. But it is good to know there is nothing wrong with the device.

The battery life I was getting was awful and nowhere near good by my standards. Luckily the Moto X agreed with me. I was loosing 4-5% every hour without doing anything. By that alone, 100% pure idle time wouldn't reach the 24 hours of moderate use marketed. I did a factory reset, didn't install anything, and left it unplugged overnight for 8 hours and it only lost 10%. Huge difference. And before, 384 MHz would take majority over deep sleep. Deep sleep would be lucky to hit 30% (see the first picture and deep sleep is at 11%) and 384 MHz would be above 50%. After last nights test deep sleep was at 95%. Now I just have to figure out which app was causing it. But it is good to know there is nothing wrong with the device.
    I'm glad that you got it figured out for the most part. My culprits were Instapaper and not having WiFi sleep when turned off. There may have been others but I didn't notice them. Even still, the FDR solved the issue for me and you both. It usually does it seems. There's few things more frustrating than a battery drain issue.

16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Quote Originally Posted by calmlydefyinglogic View Post
    I'm glad that you got it figured out for the most part. My culprits were Instapaper and not having WiFi sleep when turned off. There may have been others but I didn't notice them. Even still, the FDR solved the issue for me and you both. It usually does it seems. There's few things more frustrating than a battery drain issue.

I am still doing some tests, but so far it is looking like Plex for PlexPass was preventing my phone from going to deep sleep.

I am still doing some tests, but so far it is looking like Plex for PlexPass was preventing my phone from going to deep sleep.
    I wish that the battery apps worked for 4.4. I would love to easily decipher what is draining my battery or causing it to not deep sleep. Hopefully they figure out a work around soon.

I'm having the same problem. My phone won't sleep and I've done a FDR and cleared the cache partition. Very frustrating since wake lock detector won't work.

Moto X | T-Mobile | 139.12.57.ghost_row.Retail.en.US

Global Posts
    289 Global Posts

If you find out any more about this, please post. My battery life has taken a modest hit, and it does coincide with when they updated Plex for Chromecast support.