Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default decision time the MX vs the N5

Moto x Vs Nexus 5

Just based on my experience using both devices as my main driver.

Battery life (moto x)
    I get superior standby time on moto x consistently. I think mainly this is because of the ridiculously bright and large screen on the N5.

Display (nexus 5)
    The N5 screen is amazing the best screen I have ever used. Better than the iPhone 5S. I don't particularly like amoled screens though.

Speaker (moto x)
    This thing is so loud. Only thing I have ever used louder than this are the old blackberry phones side click wheel versions.

Form factor (moto x)
    The curved back and none giant phone form factor wins it for moto x

Speed/Power (nexus 5)
    The nexus 5 is just faster. Easily seen when loading or scrolling large tumblr pages and when playing games.

Camera (tie)
    I can't really tell a difference here. I dont use either camera that much.

Price/value(nexus 5)
    No contest here $349 off contract is just a ridiculous deal. Additionally the nexus 5 has better internals making it more future proof before even factoring future Google updates.

Additional considerations:
    You have to decide how big of a deal the following non-gimmick features are to you:
    Active notification
    Wireless charging
    Touchless controls
    Future Google updates.

Global Posts
    6,208 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Default Re: decision time the MX vs the N5

Thanks for sharing. I think I would choose the Nexus 5.
    Live long and prosper.

Or u could just pm me and get moto x for $350 as well code expires today

I would not consider another phone that does not have touch less controls and active notifications.

There is no going back for me.
    Ry likes this.

If you're into gaming, go N5.
    ConTejas likes this.

Global Posts
    6,658 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus(AOKP-jb_4.2.1)

The battery life,active notifications,touchless controls,speaker,phone radio, phones size, OS smoothness,made the Moto X the correct choice for me.

Form factor and active notifications are huge for me. Surprisingly, active notifications is a killer feature in my book. And the fact that it's enabled by hardware (AMOLED display) means that others won't be catching up any time soon.

I got a Moto X for all the things it does right. I to am Reformed Spec Junkie. Coming from a Gnex there are two things I needed in a new phone, one better battery life and two greater radios. The X has this in spades. Moto assist and touchless controls just put this phone over the top. I looked at the N5 and was all set to get it. Then I saw the compromises they made to get it at the price point they wanted. It kinda soured me on it after that. I was lucky to get the cyber Monday deal from Motorola with the 12 free financing. So for the price of a 32gb N5 I got what to me is the superior phone. I know many will disagree, that's fine everyone has to make that choice for what works for them. Now if I could get the KK smart dialer it would be great.

Posted via Android Central App
    Ry and mattjopete like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mech1164 View Post
    I got a Moto X for all the things it does right. I to am Reformed Spec Junkie. Coming from a Gnex there are two things I needed in a new phone, one better battery life and two greater radios. The X has this in spades. Moto assist and touchless controls just put this phone over the top. I looked at the N5 and was all set to get it. Then I saw the compromises they made to get it at the price point they wanted. It kinda soured me on it after that. I was lucky to get the cyber Monday deal from Motorola with the 12 free financing. So for the price of a 32gb N5 I got what to me is the superior phone. I know many will disagree, that's fine everyone has to make that choice for what works for them. Now if I could get the KK smart dialer it would be great.

Compromises? They just made a major fix to the camera and a fix to the speaker...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by mech1164 View Post

There is a flahable zip in Nexus 5 forum on xda u can try. Its not just for Nexus

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmumbles View Post
    Compromises? They just made a major fix to the camera and a fix to the speaker...

Yeah but both still suck. MX camera is pretty ****ty compared to S4 for example and N5 is not far out. I've seen pictures outdoors and in some shots MX is better, low light N5 is.

Quality-wise I would also give it to MX

Quote Originally Posted by kolyan2k View Post
    Yeah but both still suck. MX camera is pretty ****ty compared to S4 for example and N5 is not far out. I've seen pictures outdoors and in some shots MX is better, low light N5 is.

Quality-wise I would also give it to MX
    Do you own an N5? Have you used one for at least a week?

13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

As far as camera goes I have only ever been happy/satisfied with shots taken by the iPhone 5 series and the HTC One. I don't use the moto x and nexus 5 much so I am not much of a judge but from what I did try the moto x and nexus 5 both take grainy pics indoors.

Do you own an N5? Have you used one for at least a week?

No, I compared side by side MX and N5 photos taken after both phones have been updated. For a camera with OIS N5 pictures dont look good at all and like I said in many cases MX looked better outdoors, N5 looks much better indoors, and both dont even come close to S4 camera
    Ry likes this.

No, I compared side by side MX and N5 photos taken after both phones have been updated. For a camera with OIS N5 pictures dont look good at all and like I said in many cases MX looked better outdoors, N5 looks much better indoors, and both dont even come close to S4 camera
    Riiiiight.

Quote Originally Posted by fishweb View Post
    As far as camera goes I have only ever been happy/satisfied with shots taken by the iPhone 5 series and the HTC One. I don't use the moto x and nexus 5 much so I am not much of a judge but from what I did try the moto x and nexus 5 both take grainy pics indoors.
    2nd the indoor shots not so hot on the X, outdoors photos much better vs indoor.

Global Posts
    6,658 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus(AOKP-jb_4.2.1)

Riiiiight.

Do you have a Moto X ?

No, I have a Nexus 5. The comments I responded to were regarding the Nexus 5. The pictures I've seen taken with the Nexus 5 are beautiful.

CompMan2012 likes this.

Global Posts
    357 Global Posts

Both phones have "average" cameras so I wouldn't buy either based on Camera. The recent camera update to the N5 made an average camera slightly better but that's it, it's still just an average contender. I'm not just basing that on personal observation but an 8 page in depth (and updated) digital photography review that I happen to agree with. Please note that I'm not saying it's a bad camera, I'm just saying it's middle of the road as far as smartphone cams go. If you're looking for a better than average camera I'd probably go with a G2 right now. And please don't base camera quality off of shots taken by forum members. They aren't pros, and they don't use a professional photograph taken with a high end camera for you to see as a baseline for the other images compared.

As for the actual phone hardware, software, and features themselves vs each other, here's some recommended reading: The Nexus 5 vs. the Moto X | Android Central

Quote Originally Posted by xchange View Post
    Both phones have "average" cameras so I wouldn't buy either based on Camera. The recent camera update to the N5 made an average camera slightly better but that's it, it's still just an average contender. I'm not just basing that on personal observation but an 8 page in depth (and updated) digital photography review that I happen to agree with. Please note that I'm not saying it's a bad camera, I'm just saying it's middle of the road as far as smartphone cams go. If you're looking for a better than average camera I'd probably go with a G2 right now. And please don't base camera quality off of shots taken by forum members. They aren't pros, and they don't use a professional photograph taken with a high end camera for you to see as a baseline for the other images compared.

As for the actual phone hardware, software, and features themselves vs each other, here's some recommended reading: The Nexus 5 vs. the Moto X | Android Central
    actually pictures from forum members is exactly what i am looking for. i can stage and take a pro shot with my Galaxy Nexus and it will be better then MX or N5, but i need a camera that i can just take out from my pocket and snap a quick picture which will look great at the end. so when someone takes the same pictures with MX and N5 and one camera ends up looking like ****, then i know which camera works better. < because that exactly how i use my phone camera. for anything thats actually important for me, i take my regular camera with me.

S4 pictures always came out great and were actually usable for my collection, i just dont see the same with mx and n5. PS. GS4 was recently picked top 5 phone cameras and Note 3 was the winner. Neither MX or N5 were even considered of course.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,174 Global Posts

If you have both already, the Moto X is the keeper. The software add-ons are compelling enough plus the comfortable size and better battery life will be better in the long run.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    357 Global Posts

actually pictures from forum members is exactly what i am looking for. i can stage and take a pro shot with my Galaxy Nexus and it will be better then MX or N5, but i need a camera that i can just take out from my pocket and snap a quick picture which will look great at the end. so when someone takes the same pictures with MX and N5 and one camera ends up looking like ****, then i know which camera works better. < because that exactly how i use my phone camera. for anything thats actually important for me, i take my regular camera with me.

S4 pictures always came out great and were actually usable for my collection, i just dont see the same with mx and n5. PS. GS4 was recently picked top 5 phone cameras and Note 3 was the winner. Neither MX or N5 were even considered of course.
    Who made the choices?
    The complacency about security among android users is disturbing.

I will say for gaming my moto x runs very smooth not a glitch at all

Global Posts
    357 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lambertoid View Post
    I will say for gaming my moto x runs very smooth not a glitch at all

A lot of people overlook that not many game developers design their apps to only run smoothly on quad core s800 phones 😏
    The complacency about security among android users is disturbing.
    Ry likes this.

I have both and you really cant go wrong with either. The decision really comes down to how long you intend to keep the phone for and how you use your phone.

From a hardware perspective, the N5 is simply better than the Moto X. The Moto X is the smoothest android phone on the planet until you compare it to the N5. The differences however is only noticeable when you compare the two side by side. Some may disagree, but the N5's camera is noticeably better than the X, especially for low light pics. IMO, the X's low light shots are not usable. I dont think its a hardware issue, but rather the camera's software for the X still needs a lot of work. The camera really bumps up the ISO for low light shots and as a result the images are extremely noisy.

The only noticeable hardware advantages the X has over the N5 is the speaker and the reception.

Software is where things get interesting for me.

Stock Android is beautiful and fortunately both run stock. Interestingly, what really tempted me to purchase the Moto X was the semi-touchless control on the N5. I found it to be extremely useful and the Moto X just took it to another level. Active notifications, touchless control, and moto assist really enhances the stock Android experience. It simply makes life easier.

In the end, for me, the software enhancements of the X won me over and it was something that I really did not expect. I am a self proclaimed Nexus guy and a hardware geek. I have been using Nexus phones exclusively since the N1. Even though I loved the gorgeous N5 screen, the smoothness, and size of the N5, I still perfer the X.

If you mainly use your phone more as a multi-media device (ie gaming, surfing, camera etc) I think the N5 is the way to go. If you want a phone that simply has great reception that is able to make your life just a tad easier, the X is the choice.
    Thanked by 3:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast