Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts

Default Really need a car dock

I am in my car most of the day and have forgotten how much I rely on having a car dock for my phone. I would prefer one designed for the Moto X, but with the Griffin out of stock and possibly discontinued, I at least need an inexpensive temporary solution. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Really need a car dock

This is the one I use. Stuck a skip dot on it. Thing is solid as a rock. Tight squeeze if your using and Ottetbox but other cases should work easily. http://www.shopandroid.com/aduro-u-g...t/3AA14505.htm

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by pjo1966 View Post
    I am in my car most of the day and have forgotten how much I rely on having a car dock for my phone. I would prefer one designed for the Moto X, but with the Griffin out of stock and possibly discontinued, I at least need an inexpensive temporary solution. Any suggestions?
    If you go to Verizon store they sell a universal mount for $20. It doesn't have any cables or anything, but it will mount the phone to you dashboard.

I recently got this one, love it so far compared to others I've used, made in USA!
    Thanked by:
    tr-1 
    tr-1 likes this.

I have the TYLT Capio. The 'sticky' stuff works well, though I haven't used it since its gotten cold. I attached the lower support arms to give the adhesive a little help. It comes with an NFC Tag integral to the back. Take care

Mercury makes a few nice cheap ones I actually pick them up from Burlington coat factory

7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fernandez21 View Post
    If you go to Verizon store they sell a universal mount for $20. It doesn't have any cables or anything, but it will mount the phone to you dashboard.
    Thanks. I stopped by Verizon today and they only had one for $40. I saw the $20 one online. I'll just order it from there.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

There was a long thread a week or two ago with a lot of decent suggestions:

Best Vehicle dock for the Moto X?

If I can't get the one designed for the Moto X, I will probably buy this one

I like it's minimalist approach, don't mind blocking an air vent, and it would work in both my cars, and also be easy to travel with. I do wonder what I miss by not having it trigger "car mode", but if I can't get the Griffin, I may not have any way to get car mode, so I can make do with what's available.

There's no real need to trigger car mode anyways. Phone automatically go's into a kind of car mode when it see's your moving quick enough. I just use the skip dot to trigger unlock and Bluetooth trusted to keep it that way. Pretty much any dock works when you think of it that way. All the voice stuff works great. If it works in a Freightliner with all that noise it will work anywhere.

Proclip. Well worth the money. Get a universal holder and it will work with a case and any other phone you buy in the future.

Sent from my Moto X

Quote Originally Posted by Puzzlegal View Post
    There was a long thread a week or two ago with a lot of decent suggestions:
    If I can't get the one designed for the Moto X, I will probably buy this one

I use Kenu AirFrame in 2010 Infiniti FX35 with my moto X since Oct.. so far its perfect.

holds the phone well and in perfect position for view and access.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts

I stopped by another Verizon store and they had a different (more expensive) mount than the one I had seen last night.

My preference is for a windshield mount. I've looked at the air vent and CD mounts and they seem to be in the way. I like with the windshield mount that I don't need to take my eyes off the road to glance at the screen.

I stopped by another Verizon store and they had a different (more expensive) mount than the one I had seen last night.

My preference is for a windshield mount. I've looked at the air vent and CD mounts and they seem to be in the way. I like with the windshield mount that I don't need to take my eyes off the road to glance at the screen.
    You should look into local laws before deciding on a windshield mount. IIRC they are not legal in some localities (hence the prevelance of dash mounts and vent mounts).
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jdevenberg View Post
    You should look into local laws before deciding on a windshield mount. IIRC they are not legal in some localities (hence the prevelance of dash mounts and vent mounts).
    They are not legal in Los Angeles but it's not enforced. I've seen police cars with windshield mounts.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

They are not legal in Los Angeles but it's not enforced. I've seen police cars with windshield mounts.

I would still make sure. I know police, firefighters, and anyone else for whom using a cellphone in a car is essential to their work is exempt from the law banning touching your cellphone while driving where I live.

Proclip for sure. I made my own dash mount that bolts into the radio screws for better stability, but the phone holder is perfect. And screw car mode, just set your phone to keep the screen on when it's plugged in.

Quote Originally Posted by jdevenberg View Post
    It's good to check, but I looked into it, and found they were legal in all but about 2 states, and basically everywhere I anticipate driving.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts

Where is that setting? I couldn't find it.

but with the Griffin out of stock and possibly discontinued,
    Could you elaborate on this? I not heard any rumors of it being discontinued.
    I think your skills are improving.
    Moto X
    Nexus10 2012
    Nexus 7 2013 [Son's]
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Devlyn16 View Post
    Could you elaborate on this? I not heard any rumors of it being discontinued.
    I got the information from a thread in this forum. I said "possibly" discontinued because I have not heard this anywhere else.
    Thanked by:

Where is that setting? I couldn't find it.
    There is no setting. You need to use and app. Stay Awake from Fluffy Delusions works.

23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by techitrucker View Post
    There is no setting. You need to use and app. Stay Awake from Fluffy Delusions works.

Actually there is a setting:

Quote Originally Posted by techitrucker View Post

On my Note 2 there is a Stay Awake while charging setting in Developer Options.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk

Nice. The app was a resource hog. Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast