Screen Freeze, Signal, Voice Issues - Moto X

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I've already placed a replacement order for another Moto X, as I may have a lemon. But, maybe not? Ever since I received my Moto X, right out of the box, there's been issues:

1. Signal is a definite issue (my prior phone - a Photon - got great reception).
  2. My emails that are set for instant push are delayed by 10-15 minutes b/c of the signal issue.
  3. People are constantly asking me to "speak up" when I'm talking loudly. Or they say I'm "cutting out" - again, where my Photon got great reception.
  4. On Bluetooth, when there's no call, there's a loud hissing sound on my Bose car speakers. This never happened with any other phone prior.
  5. Finally, the newest thing is...when I dial a number and it starts to ring, I put it to my ear...but if I need to press a number selection on the keypad, the screen won't wake up! It's just black, dead, until I press the side buttons and then the screen will come back to life again. This is happening more/more often.

While these issue maybe unique to my particular phone, I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered the same problems? I've reset the phone and did some trouble-shooting with Sprint and Motorola, to no avail.

Any thoughts?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
What version is your phone running?

Posted via Android Central App

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I have also replaced my photon with an X. I haven't had most of the problems you describe. I don't use Bluetooth, but this phone has even better radios than the photon, which was pretty good. It also has a great WiFi radio, which was a weak point of the photon.

Phone calls sound pretty good, and no one I've called has complained.

I have had the screen go black when I make a phone call. I, also, find this annoying, but I think it's meant to be a feature.

I'm using k-9 with pop for email, but emails seen to get sent very quickly.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like a hardware issue to me for sure, like something isn't grounded well.

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I have also replaced my photon with an X. I haven't had most of the problems you describe. I don't use Bluetooth, but this phone has even better radios than the photon, which was pretty good. It also has a great WiFi radio, which was a weak point of the photon.

Phone calls sound pretty good, and no one I've called has complained.

I have had the screen go black when I make a phone call. I, also, find this annoying, but I think it's meant to be a feature.

I'm using k-9 with pop for email, but emails seen to get sent very quickly.
The wifi is better in my home with this phone, and it seems to pick up on my dual band modem (which allows me to increase the range and use higher channels), but beyond that...I'm either unlucky with this phone, or I don't know what. I use Droid Mail, which I've used on other Android phones before with no problems (K9 had too many bells/whistles I didn't need), but yea...lots of signal issues and the screen going black - what feature is that? It just makes it unresponsive when an automated system is asking you to press 1 or 2, and you can't because the screen is black.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you take the factory screen protector off when you got the phone?

-Moto X-

No, because it's been problematic since day one and I want to return the phone (waiting for my replacement - taking forever!), I left it on to prevent scratches.

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like a hardware issue to me for sure, like something isn't grounded well.

I don't know...? Perhaps so, because if the replacement is going to be the same, then I'm SOL with any other phones on Sprint, as I've tried the HTC One with worse reception, and the Galaxy phones have never worked out for me.

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I haven't really had many calls with my X yet so I'm not sure if I have a problem with it going black and not lighting back up. On my old phone I know it would go black when put it to my face then come on when I would take it away. Isn't that what the proximity sensor is for?

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I haven't really had many calls with my X yet so I'm not sure if I have a problem with it going black and not lighting back up. On my old phone I know it would go black when put it to my face then come on when I would take it away. Isn't that what the proximity sensor is for?

Yes, but it's supposed to come back on when I take it away from my face, except it doesn't - so I have to press the side buttons to make it come back to life. :-\

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I would be talking to Sprint about their service in your area. I have not experienced any issues with my X and I am on VZW.

I have done, and they have been saying for at least the past 3 years that they're "building new towers." However, that aside, I was getting moderately decent signal with my Photon and not so with the Moto X.

Anopy1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
It's the screen protector causing the phone to stay black. It's interfering with the proximity sensor. I had the same issue with my case and cut a very small notch from my case and it's been perfect ever since.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
It's the screen protector causing the phone to stay black. It's interfering with the proximity sensor. I had the same issue with my case and cut a very small notch from my case and it's been perfect ever since.

Thanks! I did, in fact, have the factory screen protector on when I noticed the screen was black during phone calls. I just tested it (using a third-party screen protector that's designed to be used with a working phone, and not just in the box) and I didn't notice any issues.

HollyDolly, I think you have a bad phone, and should replace it (quite possibly with another Moto X). Mine has great reception, cellular and bluetooth, and I don't think what you are describing is normal for the phone.

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site

Definitely could be. I don't have a screen protector and mine comes back from black just fine(just tested it).

Rocketsaucev2

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Yes, but it's supposed to come back on when I take it away from my face, except it doesn't - so I have to press the side buttons to make it come back to life. :-\

Yeah your supposed to take that off. That solves your screen wake issue and likely people complaining they can't hear you

-Moto X-

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
HollyDolly, I think you have a bad phone, and should replace it (quite possibly with another Moto X). Mine has great reception, cellular and bluetooth, and I don't think what you are describing is normal for the phone.
I am. I'm waiting for the replacement which is SERIOUSLY delayed.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah your supposed to take that off. That solves your screen wake issue and likely people complaining they can't hear you

-Moto X-

I'm keeping it on in the hopes that I'll get my replacement phone this weekend...and just try with that. Thank you.