Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By still1
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Introduce Myself

I have ordered my first Android phone and it will be delivered today. I have used the iPhone sine the 3Gs and everything I own is Apple. I have no problem with either platform at all but really liked the Moto X and wanted to try it. I wasn't going to buy one due to I have to pay full price now that I am with Verizon to keep my unlimited data. I jumped at the chance when I got a promo code and I am looking forward to it. I have never used Android so I am totally in the dark with it.
    Is there any great apps you would recommend? I will probably be asking many questions over the next few weeks so I wanted to introduce myself. I appreciate any feedback you can give me and I am looking forward to FedEx getting here today.

Global Posts
    13,840 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Default Re: Introduce Myself

Quote Originally Posted by wp1974 View Post
    I have ordered my first Android phone and it will be delivered today. I have used the iPhone sine the 3Gs and everything I own is Apple. I have no problem with either platform at all but really liked the Moto X and wanted to try it. I wasn't going to buy one due to I have to pay full price now that I am with Verizon to keep my unlimited data. I jumped at the chance when I got a promo code and I am looking forward to it. I have never used Android so I am totally in the dark with it.
    Is there any great apps you would recommend? I will probably be asking many questions over the next few weeks so I wanted to introduce myself. I appreciate any feedback you can give me and I am looking forward to FedEx getting here today.
    Welcome to the forums.
    I have the X and it is a great device. I have seen numerous posts of people who have easily switched from Apple to the X and have had few issues.
    First thing is: Do you have any friends who run Apple devices? If so, you are probably going to have to ask them to turn their messaing settings to SMS as opposed to iMessage. This way, you can get texts from them. I think you are going to have to remove your number from Apple too.

As for Apps, I like Google Keep, and Zedge.
    If you mean games, I like Dots, and Shards.
    Also, of course, there is the Android Central Forums app, and Android Central app.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here

Global Posts
    13,840 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

I almost forgot: Since you are new, why not head here: Introductions - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com
    and officially say hello to the whole community?

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3

welcome to Android central... we are here to help.

what Golfdriver97 said. Also on your iphone settings disable imessage before you swap the device
    Fancy A Break From Your iPhone? Have an Android Kit Kat
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

One app I use is a Group Text app to text a large group of people at once. Is there something like this on Android? I do know I am going to need help moving my music I bought from iTunes on my Moto X.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Thanks and I turned iMessage off on my phone but I may need to check my iPad when I get home too. Thank you for letting me know that.

Global Posts
    13,840 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Thanks and I turned iMessage off on my phone but I may need to check my iPad when I get home too. Thank you for letting me know that.
    I honestly think that is the biggest frustration factor for people who switch. And rightfully so.

From a Sprint Moto X using the AC Forums app.

Welcome to the forums!

One app I use is a Group Text app to text a large group of people at once. Is there something like this on Android? I do know I am going to need help moving my music I bought from iTunes on my Moto X.
    We use a free app called Verizon Messaging. There is a group of us who group text and have a mix of iPhones and Androids and it works perfectly. I use it as my default text app.

Sent via the X!

Try out SwiftKey: one of the joys of Android in comparison to iOS is the ability to customize things like your keyboard.

Have fun!!

Sent from my iPhone using
    Regard all phenomena as dreams...

One app I use is a Group Text app to text a large group of people at once. Is there something like this on Android?
    I'm not an expert, the Moto X being my first and only smart phone. But the resident messaging app has a setting to us mms for group messaging, if that helps. I'm not sure how large a group though; I only text maybe 1/2 dozen every once in a while.

I do know I am going to need help moving my music I bought from iTunes on my Moto X.
    There's a lot of solutions. Based on various forum posts, I'm using ISyncr. There's some others that you'll see recommended too. ISyncr has a program you load onto your computer and an app you load onto your android device. I use it for both my MotoX and my Samsung tablet, and it works great. It can sync albums, artists, playlists, and album art from your ITunes library on your computer. I use mine with a Windows laptop, but I'm pretty sure they make it for Mac. In my Itunes, I created a large master playlist with all the music I wanted to transfer (16 gigs) to my devices. It shows up on the device as that large playlist, but also by album, artist, etc. with artwork. I also sync smaller playlists too. The company that makes ISyncr also makes a player app called Rocket Player which I went ahead and download and use, but I really think the resident Play Music player works fine and is easy to use.

Quote Originally Posted by karmamule View Post
    Try out SwiftKey: one of the joys of Android in comparison to iOS is the ability to customize things like your keyboard. Have fun!!
    The resident keyboard is excellent too. It has "swype" type feature which I've really come to be impressed with. And - to my thinking - a pretty good word prediction. IF it's not what you're looking for, as karmamule said, there's other keyboard app options.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

First day with Moto X and I don't really have any major complaints. I do miss tapping on top of my screen and the phone automatically scrolls back to the top but other than that it has been good. I am still doing a learning curve with it so I will be patient.
    One thing I am lost on is my wifi is off but the battery is saying 22% for battery usage. Can someone clue me in why if my wifi is off.
    I did download SwiftKey and I am impressed with it. I have never used it so I am getting use to it also. I like that on the Facebook app I could hide I was on with iOS but no not a big deal. I am impressed that so far it seems to be on par with iOS 7 when scrolling if not a little better to me. On iOS 7 my screen started to stutter a little when scrolling but not real bad.
    I do appreciate everyone who has giving me help so far and appreciate the warm welcome.