Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By zobog
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default 4g to wifi switch

Just purchased a Moto x. I have to manually switch from 4G to in home WI-FI by rebooting phone. Motorola tech says Moto X doesn't have the auto switch feature. Any thoughts

Default Re: 4g to wifi switch

Maybe you can use Tasker to automate wifi on/off?

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

I leave WI-Fi on and when I come home it automatically switches 4g off and WI-Fi takes over.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Rizzo View Post
    I leave WI-Fi on and when I come home it automatically switches 4g off and WI-Fi takes over.
    Mine works the same way. When I arrive in a location where there is a saved WiFi signal it connects, when I leave it connects back to 4G.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

mine doesn't, can I use "scanning always available"?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Rizzo View Post
    This is what mine does, too. I suppose it costs something to leave the WiFi radio in when there's no signal, but I haven't had a problem.

I've been using this app Wi-Fi Matic, works great.

I do not quite understand the problem. Mine uses wifi when I am at work or home and 4g on the road. I never turn wifi off, it just connects when it can. I never turn off 4g either.

Is yours not doing this?

I never turn off anything since I do not have to worry about battery life. I only charge at night when I go to bed when my phone becomes my alarm clock.

(gentle alarm and double twist are great clocks apps)

I am so glad those days are in the past where I had to manually control everything to make it home from work without a dead phone.
    jcg5862 likes this.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Mine wont switch from 4g to wifi @ home automatically. I have to shut off phone and restart, or switch wifi on and off manually. Shouldn't it switch auto. Motorola tech says Moto X does not have that feature. I can't believe that.

I don't think I've used a phone that will turn on WiFi automatically. I'm not saying some of them don't. I just manually toggle mine. I have a 5 set power widget on my side screen so its pretty easy to toggle on and off. It would be nice if you could have it off and then have it automatically connect when you get home.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimsonforce View Post
    I don't think I've used a phone that will turn on WiFi automatically. I'm not saying some of them don't. I just manually toggle mine. I have a 5 set power widget on my side screen so its pretty easy to toggle on and off. It would be nice if you could have it off and then have it automatically connect when you get home.
    That could be achieved with an app like Tasker

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    That could be achieved with an app like Tasker

Does tasker require root. I rooted my galaxy nexus and really enjoyed flashing different roms/kernels etc but wasn't planning on rooting the moto x.

I'm like everybody else here. I just leave Wifi on all the time and it switches back to 4g once it's out of range of a network it recognizes. Sounds like an issue with the phone itself. You said you just purchased it right? I'd take it back and get it replaced asap.

Does tasker require root. I rooted my galaxy nexus and really enjoyed flashing different roms/kernels etc but wasn't planning on rooting the moto x.
    No, doesn't require root. There are alternatives like llama but I find that Tasker works the best

Tasker can do more if it has root access than if it doesn't, but it works without root, and can do all the things that don't require root. Toggling WiFi doesn't require root, and should work fine.

But I agree with whoever said that it sounds like this particular phone is defective and should be replaced under warrantee.

Quote Originally Posted by goferite View Post
    Mine wont switch from 4g to wifi @ home automatically. I have to shut off phone and restart, or switch wifi on and off manually.
    Mine was NOT doing this, but NOW it is. I keep wifi on all the time. When I leave home and thus my home wifi, it still shows connected to my home wifi when I am miles from home. When I get home, it wont reconnect automagically to wifi without a reboot