Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Is it possible to decline a system update on the Moto X?

I keep getting a screen pop up to update to kit Kat really don't want it is there anyway to get rid of the notification without downloading it

Default re: Is it possible to decline a system update on the Moto X?

Why don't you want to download it?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I keep reading not so good things about it, and 4.2.2 seems to work great
    You gota understand I have been with BB for the last 10yr. and I have seen some updates that have not been so good.

Tell me what bad things I have missed locating on our his and hers 2 x M.X's? Chris
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by snoking View Post
    Tell me what bad things I have missed locating on our his and hers 2 x M.X's? Chris
    ???
    Have you not read the many threads on this forum

Quote Originally Posted by r p3 View Post
    ???
    Have you not read the many threads on this forum
    I've been using it for a month and have no issues

-Moto X-

Global Posts
    185 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketsaucev2 View Post

-Moto X-
    Same here

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketsaucev2 View Post

-Moto X-
    same... no issues so far.... forum is not the right place to come to conclusion about issues about software update
    Fancy A Break From Your iPhone? Have an Android Kit Kat

Global Posts
    574 Global Posts

I am not a fan of 4.4. There are plenty of so called improvements that are not improvements at all. Everything works just fine but certain aspects of the UI no longer have that simple, no frills aspect that was the reason I wanted a Moto X.

Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Oofa View Post
    I am not a fan of 4.4. There are plenty of so called improvements that are not improvements at all. Everything works just fine but certain aspects of the UI no longer have that simple, no frills aspect that was the reason I wanted a Moto X.

Examples?

@workMakin$

r p3-
    Nuttn is perfect! Includes OS for phones, etc., coming from a Droid X, running Gingerbread up until I got the Moto X, with Jelly Bean and now KK, is light years better for me.

I'm curious what you don't like about KK.

Sent via the X!

There are not widespread issues with KitKat. A vocal minority have a few things they don't like. There are no major bugs and there are a few nice improvements. You really should just update. As far as seeing threads about the negatives of the update: How many people are going to come onto a forum and start a thread to say, "I just updtated to KitKat and I didn't have any problems"? Not many, especially compated to the number of people who will post about the problems they had. Even though there are far more threads complaining about the update than praising it or saying it was no big deal, you should understand that people who don't like it or are having problems with it are an extreme minority of Moto X users.

Note, there has only been one person in this thread that didn't like the update, and that wasn't because it was buggy, but because "There are plenty of so called improvements that are not improvements at all. Everything works just fine but certain aspects of the UI no longer have that simple, no frills aspect that was the reason I wanted a Moto X." And, frankly, I can only think of two three (forgot about the dialer until I saw another thread about it) UI elements that changed in KitKat; Holo Blue clock/battery/signal/etc. is now white,an improved dialer and the menu bar and notification bar are translucent on the home screen. I'm not sure which of those ruined the UI of this posters phone, but I like both (though I have long complained I didn't like Holo Blue).
    Last edited by jdevenberg; 12-19-2013 at 06:31 AM.
    karmamule and neonworm like this.

Speaking of the dialer, is there a way to fix the way Android displays the callers photo? It's stretched and blurry.

This is the first stock Android (Almost) phone that I've had and have never had the problem before.

Sent via the X!

Quote Originally Posted by androidatic View Post
    Speaking of the dialer, is there a way to fix the way Android displays the callers photo? It's stretched and blurry.

This is the first stock Android (Almost) phone that I've had and have never had the problem before.

Sent via the X!
    Use a higher res photo for your contact? I'm not sure as I haven't really noticed this issue, but I also don't pay that close of attention to the picture when someone calls.

Global Posts
    647 Global Posts

4.4 runs great. I have seen no issues at all. I think people misinterpreted personal preference as issues with the OS. There are always some issues with any os but from what I have read it seems that it's just a few people that don't like change. That's my opinion though. I could be way off. :-P

Sent from my Moto X

Not updating to kit kat is just silly. That is all.
    Thanked by:
    ultravisitor likes this.

Global Posts
    574 Global Posts

Reasons for disliking 4.4:

1. Using white on the notification bar is just annoying and provides too much contrast for me.

2.When you hit the phone icon you go into recent calls and have to hit the dialer pad icon while there in order to dial a call. That is kind of crazy. You should be able to hit the phone icon and immediately be taken to the dial pad.

3.The whole white theme of the dialer is not as "friendly" on the eyes as the dark theme was.

All stuff that is easy to get used to and is really not a deal breaker but it certainly is not an improvement over 4.2. It's just more useless changes.
    If you don't want to go with 4.4, don't. There are no real improvements. It works just as flawlessly as 4.2.

Reasons for disliking 4.4:

1. Using white on the notification bar is just annoying and provides too much contrast for me.

2.When you hit the phone icon you go into recent calls and have to hit the dialer pad icon while there in order to dial a call. That is kind of crazy. You should be able to hit the phone icon and immediately be taken to the dial pad.

3.The whole white theme of the dialer is not as "friendly" on the eyes as the dark theme was.

All stuff that is easy to get used to and is really not a deal breaker but it certainly is not an improvement over 4.2. It's just more useless changes.
    If you don't want to go with 4.4, don't. There are no real improvements. It works just as flawlessly as 4.2.
    To each their own I guess. Every point you made are all points I love about 4.4. That's what makes the world go round!
    cwbcpa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by r p3 View Post
    I keep getting a screen pop up to update to kit Kat really don't want it is there anyway to get rid of the notification without downloading it
    You may be out-of-luck. I had a moto Photon, and didn't want to accept the update to 2.4 from 2.3, because it permanantly locked the bootloader. It prompts me to perform the update about every 4 hours. I understand there's some way to turn that off if you root the phone, but I never got around to it -- at any rate, there was no easy way to say, "no, please stop bothering me."

Quote Originally Posted by jdevenberg View Post
    ......an improved dialer...
    I've seen other people say this, but I find the new phone app slightly less convenient than the old one. In what way do you think it has improved?
    Quote Originally Posted by androidatic View Post

Sent via the X!
    I don't believe I have this problem. Have you tried re-booting?
    Thanked by:
    r p1 

Quote Originally Posted by Puzzlegal View Post
    I've seen other people say this, but I find the new phone app slightly less convenient than the old one. In what way do you think it has improved?
    Being able search contacts from the dialer. I love that feature. It was a big part of why I could never stick with stock Android before. 232 to call "Dad", 264 brings up my wife (Angela), etc. That and seeing my starred contacts and recent calls on the main dialer screen. I love the new dialer so, so much.

Global Posts
    574 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alphabets View Post
    To each their own I guess. Every point you made are all points I love about 4.4. That's what makes the world go round!
    You like hitting the phone icon and instead of being taken to the dialer you are taken to recent calls? It must be that you call the same people over and over. I can see your point if that's the case. I don't always call the same person more than once. When I tap a phone icon, I want a phone dial pad. I don't need to be reminded of who I last called. And you have always been able to search contacts from the dialer by hitting the contacts icon at the dial pad.

These are all changes but not improvements. If there were millions of users complaining about the dialer on 4.2 and they came up with this, it could be considered an improvement. But I don't recall anyone claiming they wanted to see anything other than a dial pad when hitting a phone icon.

I when into the phone and cleared recent contacts and it now goes straight to the dialler??? Wonder how long it will stay that way?

Chris

Its not about just ui changes they are bunch of under the hood changes in kitkat ..also most of the app updates/ improvements( touchless control active display assist camera) that Motorola is launching in play store need the phone to be on kitkat ..so you are missing out on those things by not updating to kitkat ..

You like hitting the phone icon and instead of being taken to the dialer you are taken to recent calls? It must be that you call the same people over and over. I can see your point if that's the case. I don't always call the same person more than once. When I tap a phone icon, I want a phone dial pad. I don't need to be reminded of who I last called. And you have always been able to search contacts from the dialer by hitting the contacts icon at the dial pad.

These are all changes but not improvements. If there were millions of users complaining about the dialer on 4.2 and they came up with this, it could be considered an improvement. But I don't recall anyone claiming they wanted to see anything other than a dial pad when hitting a phone icon.
    I call 3 people, and I don't even want to talk to them half the time. Haha. I Just checked my usage since this peaked my interest. My minutes used each of the last 4 months:

104, 132, 80, 138.

I don't even know how i used that much. I don't like talking on the phone, I do it enough at work. My calls are short and to the point. I mainly use my phone for data, text and hangouts. So yeah, the new dialer works for me. I like being able to search for a business # right from the dialer as well.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast