Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By tech addicted
  • 1 Post By Crimsonforce
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Soft glass that scratches easily.

Has anyone else noticed that their screen scratches really easily? I've had probably 3 or 4 Moto Xs before my current unit (hardware issues with early batch of devices) and I have noticed that the screen scratched on all of the other units that I had. This time I decided to keep a close eye on my phone to see when I noticed the first scratch. I just got my phone on Tuesday and I just noticed a grouping of about 6 small scratches on my screen. I take extremely good care of my phones. My phone is either in my pocket by itself, face up on my desk, or in my hand. I have not dropped it. I have never had a phone that scratches this easy. I clean my screen with a soft bath towel. I don't understand what could have scratched my screens so easily. Has anyone else noticed this?

I have not had to use a screen protector in the past because I have not used a phone with glass that scratches this easy but I feel like I almost have to with this phone now.

Default Re: Soft glass that scratches easily.

Yeah, I was wondering about that too. I have a half inch scratch on mine already that I don't know where it came from. I had my droid Razr for 2 years without a single scratch.

Sand is the main culprit to scratched screens because it is harder than glass. Unfortunately, sand is a common element in the average pant pocket, and can scratch glass easily. My suggestion is to invest in a screen protector.

Posted via Android Central App

My first Moto X that I got in August is still scratch free. So is my second that I got from the Cyber Wednesday discount.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I get that sand can be a problem. I just find it odd that I have had like 4 or 5 of these phones and all of them scratched, yet my Note II scratched once in the year that I had it from me dropping it between my seat and center console in my car. I literally have had this phone less than a week and it's already scratched pretty bad. It just seems like they kinda went cheap with the glass.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Speed Rom Jellybean

It could be the towel you're using to Clea the screen. I recommend using a microfiber cloth if you don't want to use a screen protector.

7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by blacksapphire08 View Post
    It could be the towel you're using to Clea the screen. I recommend using a microfiber cloth if you don't want to use a screen protector.

Well if the towel I'm using is what is causing the scratches, the glass they used is complete garbage haha. Supposedly the keys in my pocket shouldn't scratch a screen, but the soft bath towel I use will? Seems a little strange haha

Quote Originally Posted by svenEDGE View Post
    I get that sand can be a problem. I just find it odd that I have had like 4 or 5 of these phones and all of them scratched, yet my Note II scratched once in the year that I had it from me dropping it between my seat and center console in my car. I literally have had this phone less than a week and it's already scratched pretty bad. It just seems like they kinda went cheap with the glass.
    My Note 2 screen scratched while being in its own pocket within a week. From that moment on I used screen protectors.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse2K View Post
    My Note 2 screen scratched while being in its own pocket within a week. From that moment on I used screen protectors.
    Maybe I just got lucky looks like I will be installing a screen protector in the near future...

Global Posts
    6,214 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Does the Moto X use Gorilla Glass? Even if so, a screen protector is with it.

g2
    Live long and prosper.

I use screen protectors. Hopefully I can avoid your experiences.

Global Posts
    297 Global Posts

I carry my phone in my front pocket. All my other phones developed scratches, but after almost 3 months of use, my Moto X doesn't have a scratch.

Thats why i like a pouch. Use that sucker naked and not have to worry about scratches or clean pockets. I ordered a cheap neoprene one off ebay.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by slg1906 View Post
    Me too not need to worry ,and when its comes to sell it you have a mint phone to get the most for its that's easy kids!
    dmark44 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by slg1906 View Post
    I think people who don't like screen protectors would like the Brilliant clear protectors by power support on Motorola's website. They're thick and feel like running your fingers across glass more than any type I've tried before. They're pretty inconspicuous when you put them well aligned since they're cut just about to size.

The MotoX uses GG3. It's most DEFINITELY not soft. All glass will scratch, even GG3. Mine's flawless.

I generally use screen protectors because I'm OCD about keeping my screen scratch free. I think everybody has different tolerant levels for scratches though. I've seen people say they've used their phone with no screen protector while working in construction for 3 years and their phone looks flawless. That's hard to believe but that person may have a higher level of tolerance for scratches. If getting a scratch on your screen will drive you nuts, then get a screen protector. If your cool with a few hairline scratches, I wouldn't worry about getting one.
    slg1906 likes this.

Global Posts
    6,214 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

My tolerance for anything but a brand new looking phone is nonexistent. My Note 2 had an almost invisible scratch on the screen and I had to sell it. It was no longer pure.

CM on OgPro
    Live long and prosper.

ROM
    Speed Rom Jellybean

Quote Originally Posted by svenEDGE View Post
    Well if the towel I'm using is what is causing the scratches, the glass they used is complete garbage haha. Supposedly the keys in my pocket shouldn't scratch a screen, but the soft bath towel I use will? Seems a little strange haha
    Sorry I wasnt clear, I was implying that a bath towel is likely to have get abrasive debris caught in it. Maybe your screen has some kind of defect? It sucks but it happens sometimes.