Battery question

anon(8312128)

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
This has probably been mentioned already a hundred times, but being an Android and Moto X newbie, I need to ask. Is it normal for this phone to lose about 10~15% battery life just being asleep for 8 hours? I've been paying attention to what my battery is doing for the past few nights. I have my Active Notification set to sleep from about 12a-8a, hoping that would help. I maybe receive 2~3 notifications in the middle of the night while the phone is asleep. Just for testing purposes, I've been going to bed with 100% charge. When I wake up after roughly 8 hours, I've lost 10~15%. That seems like kind of a lot, considering that the phone is doing next to nothing during that time. Are my expectations way off base with this? Disclaimer, I haven't been looking too closely at the battery graph in Settings, which I realize will tell a story if you know how to read it. Right now I'm simply going by what I'm seeing as far as battery percentage.

tech addicted

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
This has probably been mentioned already a hundred times, but being an Android and Moto X newbie, I need to ask. Is it normal for this phone to lose about 10~15% battery life just being asleep for 8 hours? I've been paying attention to what my battery is doing for the past few nights. I have my Active Notification set to sleep from about 12a-8a, hoping that would help. I maybe receive 2~3 notifications in the middle of the night while the phone is asleep. Just for testing purposes, I've been going to bed with 100% charge. When I wake up after roughly 8 hours, I've lost 10~15%. That seems like kind of a lot, considering that the phone is doing next to nothing during that time. Are my expectations way off base with this? Disclaimer, I haven't been looking too closely at the battery graph in Settings, which I realize will tell a story if you know how to read it. Right now I'm simply going by what I'm seeing as far as battery percentage.

Nothing is wrong with that. When I go to sleep I put my phone to airplane mode and in the morning its looses 5% so with phone left on in your case and getting notifications 10-15% is normal.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
My experience is it discharges at about 1.5 to 2% an hour while idle. So that sounds in line.

Posted via Android Central App

anon(8312128)

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
My experience is it discharges at about 1.5 to 2% an hour while idle. So that sounds in line.

Ok, thanks. I guess that's normal then. Just can't help but wonder what could be eating up battery life when the phone isn't doing anything.

opuntia2

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

I've tried that experiment the past couple of nights, unplugging the charger right before I go to bed (starting at 100% battery) and over 8 hours I might only lose 3% battery, which I think is freaking amazing. My old Droid Bionic would lose 3% in the blink of an eye.

anon(8312128)

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
I've tried that experiment the past couple of nights, unplugging the charger right before I go to bed (starting at 100% battery) and over 8 hours I might only lose 3% battery, which I think is freaking amazing. My old Droid Bionic would lose 3% in the blink of an eye.

Well I wonder what you're doing that I'm not doing ...

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

Do you get that with everything enabled? (GPS, Wi-Fi, syncing, Google now, etc...)

orangezebra

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site

It's normal in the sense it's happening to many people, it's not normal in the sense that it should not drain that much. Recently I made a big post about it on Google Plus, and a couple moto employees actually replied that they knew about it and were working on a fix. Apparently it's from a few different things, so it should get better and better as updates come out. That being said, even with the idle drain I still get great battery life from this thing. Easily get through the day! Anyways, a fix is coming!

anon(8312128)

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
It's normal in the sense it's happening to many people, it's not normal in the sense that it should not drain that much. Recently I made a big post about it on Google Plus, and a couple moto employees actually replied that they knew about it and were working on a fix. Apparently it's from a few different things, so it should get better and better as updates come out. That being said, even with the idle drain I still get great battery life from this thing. Easily get through the day! Anyways, a fix is coming!

Thank you for this reply! I didn't realize this was such a known issue. I kinda got the feeling I wasn't the only one, though. And it's nice to know Motorola is aware of it. I think that with things like this, you just have to be patient.

Thank you again for chiming in!

andsen

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Mine looses around 2% every hour in the night. What's strange is my wife Atrix HD just loses 3% the whole night. We run almost the same apps and hers last 3 days and mine not even a day with little usage. I am seriously considering to return it

drvier8

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Mine looses around 2% every hour in the night. What's strange is my wife Atrix HD just loses 3% the whole night. We run almost the same apps and hers last 3 days and mine not even a day with little usage. I am seriously considering to return it

I gave my X the full 14 days to see if the battery got better, but ended up returning it. Typical day for me was off the charger at 7am and down to 10% by 5pm. If I wanted to go out in the evening and I didn't charge it, my phone would be dead by 7pm. I don't expect days, but from off the charger at 7am to going to sleep is a must.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I do have everything enabled, all I do is place it face down on my bedside table...I do consider myself lucky.

Yeah, that's pretty impressive. The idle drain I experience isn't what I would consider terrible but it is more than some other android phones I've used. However, even with that drain, my Moto X still seems more power efficient than other phones using less with active use so I still get great battery life. Given that, I started not paying attention to idle drain since with my usage it lasts me easily a full day.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
On WiFi mine loses 3-5% in that time frame but I have haptic feedback and touch sounds off, virtually no apps refresh on a set time scale (wakes the device up) and I have sync, gps, etc on as well.

Like I always say, check your apps and widgets. If something is set to update on a regular interval, it's waking the device up, and all your other apps with it.

Look at your battery stats and click on the gray bar. It will show you a graph and part of it is your device's time line of when it's awake and when it's sleeping. If your screen is off but it's awake multiple times during the night, it's probably and app doing some refreshing.

Laineyc

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Can someone please tell me what Media server is?

Sent from my XT1060 using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1387750900547.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1387750900547.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 64

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Can someone please tell me what Media server is?

Sent from my XT1060 using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2
Media Server is a process you'll most likely see any time your playing MP3's, listening to a podcast, watching video's/streaming Netflix, etc. If something is coming through your speakers or headphones (other than maybe a phone call on your speaker phone) then Media Server is at work.