Moto X: Exchange Services killing my battery...HELP!

DJJeffT

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
Day 9 with Moto X...first 3 were amazing. Then for some reason the phone got hot and the battery drained quickly. Saw that Exchange Services was doing something so I did a little research here and elsewhere and deleted my Exchange account and re-added it. All was fine until the same thing happened yesterday. I can't keep deleting and adding my Exchange account every 3 days.

Here are some screen grabs from my phone.

2013-12-21 13.47.29.png

2013-12-21 13.47.36.png

I have also seen where when I use the phone that uses a ton of battery.

Suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Re: Exchange Services killing my battery...HELP!

1. the % is not % of battery but a % of usage. if you use little/NO apps during X period of time - of course a large % of usage will be Exchange running in the background.
2. we need to see an entire day of usage - and full details. 32 minutes at 95% Battery usage tells us nothing.
3. how far back in days for old email do you have Exchange Email syncing in settings? 30 Days or less? the lower number will be less toll on battery and data.
4. Exchange does not appear to be pushing much that data in that 32 minute snapshot. ~14MB Sent and Received?

DJJeffT

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site

1. the % is not % of battery but a % of usage. if you use little/NO apps during X period of time - of course a large % of usage will be Exchange running in the background.
2. we need to see an entire day of usage - and full details. 32 minutes at 95% Battery usage tells us nothing.
3. how far back in days for old email do you have Exchange Email syncing in settings? 30 Days or less? the lower number will be less toll on battery and data.
4. Exchange does not appear to be pushing much that data in that 32 minute snapshot. ~14MB Sent and Received?

Thanks for the reply and I get that early on the day % is not big deal, but trust me Exchange is doing something bad. I wish I took a screen shot from the other day, but I didnt.

Look at the awake time in this one:

2013-12-21 14.58.26.png

After less than 2 hours of up time I have used 17% battery???

Pierce09

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site

596 mb sent is not normal. Exchange is definitely out of control there. As I don't use exchange mail on my phone, it's hard for me to recommend anything. Hopefully someone else can be more insightful. But that is not normal.

Posted via Moto X

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site

596 mb sent is not normal. Exchange is definitely out of control there. As I don't use exchange mail on my phone, it's hard for me to recommend anything. Hopefully someone else can be more insightful. But that is not normal.

Posted via Moto X

sorry i initially read that as 12.68MB and 596KB (not MB) for a total of only 14MB. so i agree that something is wrong.

OP - what is the sync old email days set at? 30 days?

DJJeffT

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site

Doesn't appear changing to 30 days helped.

Here's the before and after (34 minutes later)

2013-12-21 16.48.27.png

2013-12-21 17.22.10.png

At this point I am going to remove my exhange account and re-add it, as I am going out tonight and I need my phone and obvioulsy need to charge it. I did this a few days ago, but apparently that is not the fix.

Still looking for ideas...

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site

perhaps it's a settings on the server side? do you have an IT guy that's out to get you?

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site

More b0rk3d Google code? There's a couple Google (Play) Services that misbehave similarly. Google Contacts is particularly notorious for this.

Here's something I found works for Google Contacts running amok: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...le-services-draining-battery.html#post3338886

Maybe there's a similar procedure for Exchange Services?

Of course: Never underestimate Microsoft's ability to Screw Things Up. It could be something on the Exchange Server side. (I had brief, very brief, thankfully, experience with an Exchange Server, years ago. All I can say is: *yuck*!)

DJJeffT

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site

perhaps it's a settings on the server side? do you have an IT guy that's out to get you?

Funny. I don't *think* so.

The weird thing is that when I deleted and added the account last time it worked well for 3 days, the started burning battery and data. If someone was out to get me it would have been from the start, right? I'm not an IT guy, I am dangerous enough to mess with my phone, but don't know how exchange works on the back end.

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site

The weird thing is that when I deleted and added the account last time it worked well for 3 days, the started burning battery and data.

Same symptoms as what happens when Google (Play) Services goes all wonky and starts sucking down battery. It's theorized it happens because of cache data corruption, which causes one of the services to try endlessly to sync. That's why procedures like the one I detailed "fixes" the problem: It clears the cached data out entirely. Or so the theory goes.

It does seem to work for that. Last week, sometime, I had Google Services burning through battery, all-of-a-sudden. I executed that procedure and haven't had the problem since.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site

Funny. I don't *think* so.

The weird thing is that when I deleted and added the account last time it worked well for 3 days, the started burning battery and data. If someone was out to get me it would have been from the start, right? I'm not an IT guy, I am dangerous enough to mess with my phone, but don't know how exchange works on the back end.

it sounds like it is constantly downloading and churning your Exchange data - old mail, contacts, calendar, etc.

DJJeffT

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site

it sounds like it is constantly downloading and churning your Exchange data - old mail, contacts, calendar, etc.

Yes. When I went to delete the account it was continuously syncing.

Wondering if there is a way yo reset that. In tried to move it to 5 minutes then back to push, but that didn't do it.

Posted via Android Central App

DJJeffT

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site

It happened again.

Sitting at my desk at work and I went to check a text and my phone was burning up. 119 degrees according to Gsam Battery.

Same deal as last week. Exchange services is endlessly attempting to sync email. Over and over and over again.

I reviewed what OldStonedFace posted, but mine was not related to contacts, just email. I have gone into Accounts>> Corporate>> and turned off email sync, but there has to be a better 'fix' here. Is this a KitKat thing, or a device thing? I am 13 days in on my custom Moto X. Help!

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site

Same deal as last week. Exchange services is endlessly attempting to sync email. Over and over and over again.

I reviewed what OldStonedFace posted, but mine was not related to contacts, just email.

And I wrote: "Maybe there's a similar procedure for Exchange Services?"

E.g.: Look in "Apps -> All" for "Exchange" and "Exchange Storage" to stop and clear, and look in "Accounts & Sync" for an Exchange sync to restart. Caveat lector: I have no idea if such things exist, much less if they're safe to do!

I have no way of knowing. I, thankfully, have not had to deal with MS Exchange braindeadness. (Well, except once, some... fifteen years ago or so. That was More Than Enough.)

Good luck. Broken sync services sucking down the battery is exceedingly annoying, I know.

DJJeffT

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site

And I wrote: "Maybe there's a similar procedure for Exchange Services?"

E.g.: Look in "Apps -> All" for "Exchange" and "Exchange Storage" to stop and clear, and look in "Accounts & Sync" for an Exchange sync to restart. Caveat lector: I have no idea if such things exist, much less if they're safe to do!

I have no way of knowing. I, thankfully, have not had to deal with MS Exchange braindeadness. (Well, except once, some... fifteen years ago or so. That was More Than Enough.)

Good luck. Broken sync services sucking down the battery is exceedingly annoying, I know.

I appreciate the reply. There does not seem to be an Exchange Storage 'app'. just Services. Next time it happens - should be next Tuesday by my count...ha - I will try to delete the cache in Exchange services, but I think I tried that and it didnt.

I am exploring alternatives to using Exchange Services for my email until we get a new version of KitKat that addresses these issues.. Mail Wise, K9 and RoadSync have been suggested.

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site

Well, my guess would be, and it's just a guess, mind you:
  1. Force-stop Exchange Services
  2. Clear Data
  3. Turn off Exchange Sync
  4. Reboot device
  5. Turn on Exchange Sync
That seems like it would be roughly equivalent to what I have to do to restore Contacts' sync sanity.

But, again: Just a guess.

efmw113

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site

I have been having syncing issues w/ my Exchange email ever since upgrading the phone to 4.4. The account is configured to sync using Push and it only syncs the most recent 3 days of email. When I open the email program, it isn't getting the latest emails (it is a few hours behind). I then go to Settings > Corporate > Exchange account name > The calendar is up to date but the email is sitting there with the spinning wheel. If I cancel the sync then restart it a few times, it eventually successfully syncs again. It then stays up to date for a few hours then gets stuck syncing again.

I have completely removed the exchange account, cleared the cache on the "Email" AND "Exchange Services" apps then re-added the Exchange account. That helped for a few days then it started happening again. I will try that one more time but also reboot the phone before re-adding the Exchange account. If that doesn't help, then there has to be some bug in Kit Kat that is causing this behavior. The email was rock solid while on 4.2.2.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agentirish