Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 46
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    DJJeffT's Avatar

    Posts
    57 Posts
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts

    Default Moto X: Exchange Services killing my battery...HELP!

    Day 9 with Moto X...first 3 were amazing. Then for some reason the phone got hot and the battery drained quickly. Saw that Exchange Services was doing something so I did a little research here and elsewhere and deleted my Exchange account and re-added it. All was fine until the same thing happened yesterday. I can't keep deleting and adding my Exchange account every 3 days.

    Here are some screen grabs from my phone.

    Moto X: Exchange Services killing my battery...HELP!-2013-12-21-13.47.29.png

    Moto X: Exchange Services killing my battery...HELP!-2013-12-21-13.47.36.png

    I have also seen where when I use the phone that uses a ton of battery.

    Suggestions?
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 03-02-2014 at 10:17 PM.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Exchange Services killing my battery...HELP!

    1. the % is not % of battery but a % of usage. if you use little/NO apps during X period of time - of course a large % of usage will be Exchange running in the background.
    2. we need to see an entire day of usage - and full details. 32 minutes at 95% Battery usage tells us nothing.
    3. how far back in days for old email do you have Exchange Email syncing in settings? 30 Days or less? the lower number will be less toll on battery and data.
    4. Exchange does not appear to be pushing much that data in that 32 minute snapshot. ~14MB Sent and Received?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    DJJeffT's Avatar

    Posts
    57 Posts
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts

    Default Re: Exchange Services killing my battery...HELP!

    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    1. the % is not % of battery but a % of usage. if you use little/NO apps during X period of time - of course a large % of usage will be Exchange running in the background.
    2. we need to see an entire day of usage - and full details. 32 minutes at 95% Battery usage tells us nothing.
    3. how far back in days for old email do you have Exchange Email syncing in settings? 30 Days or less? the lower number will be less toll on battery and data.
    4. Exchange does not appear to be pushing much that data in that 32 minute snapshot. ~14MB Sent and Received?
    Thanks for the reply and I get that early on the day % is not big deal, but trust me Exchange is doing something bad. I wish I took a screen shot from the other day, but I didnt.

    Look at the awake time in this one:

    Moto X: Exchange Services killing my battery...HELP!-2013-12-21-14.58.26.png

    After less than 2 hours of up time I have used 17% battery???
  4. #4  
    Pierce09's Avatar

    Posts
    62 Posts
    ROM
    Vicious JB 4.1.1

    Default Re: Exchange Services killing my battery...HELP!

    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    1. the % is not % of battery but a % of usage. if you use little/NO apps during X period of time - of course a large % of usage will be Exchange running in the background.
    2. we need to see an entire day of usage - and full details. 32 minutes at 95% Battery usage tells us nothing.
    3. how far back in days for old email do you have Exchange Email syncing in settings? 30 Days or less? the lower number will be less toll on battery and data.
    4. Exchange does not appear to be pushing much that data in that 32 minute snapshot. ~14MB Sent and Received?
    596 mb sent is not normal. Exchange is definitely out of control there. As I don't use exchange mail on my phone, it's hard for me to recommend anything. Hopefully someone else can be more insightful. But that is not normal.

    Posted via Moto X
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Exchange Services killing my battery...HELP!

    Quote Originally Posted by Pierce09 View Post
    596 mb sent is not normal. Exchange is definitely out of control there. As I don't use exchange mail on my phone, it's hard for me to recommend anything. Hopefully someone else can be more insightful. But that is not normal.

    Posted via Moto X
    sorry i initially read that as 12.68MB and 596KB (not MB) for a total of only 14MB. so i agree that something is wrong.

    OP - what is the sync old email days set at? 30 days?
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  
    DJJeffT's Avatar

    Posts
    57 Posts
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts

    Default Re: Exchange Services killing my battery...HELP!

    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    OP - what is the sync old email days set at? 30 days?
    Set to all. I had my RAZR Maxx set to all for 2 years and never saw this.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Exchange Services killing my battery...HELP!

    Quote Originally Posted by DJJeffT View Post
    Set to all. I had my RAZR Maxx set to all for 2 years and never saw this.
    try 30 days and report back.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  
    DJJeffT's Avatar

    Posts
    57 Posts
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts

    Default Re: Exchange Services killing my battery...HELP!

    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    try 30 days and report back.
    I will try that for a bit.

    3.5 hours in and half my battery is gone...

    Moto X: Exchange Services killing my battery...HELP!-2013-12-21-16.47.46.png

    Moto X: Exchange Services killing my battery...HELP!-2013-12-21-16.48.27.png
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  
    DJJeffT's Avatar

    Posts
    57 Posts
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts

    Default Re: Exchange Services killing my battery...HELP!

    Doesn't appear changing to 30 days helped.

    Here's the before and after (34 minutes later)

    Moto X: Exchange Services killing my battery...HELP!-2013-12-21-16.48.27.png

    Moto X: Exchange Services killing my battery...HELP!-2013-12-21-17.22.10.png

    At this point I am going to remove my exhange account and re-add it, as I am going out tonight and I need my phone and obvioulsy need to charge it. I did this a few days ago, but apparently that is not the fix.

    Still looking for ideas...
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Exchange Services killing my battery...HELP!

    perhaps it's a settings on the server side? do you have an IT guy that's out to get you?
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Exchange Services killing my battery...HELP!

    More b0rk3d Google code? There's a couple Google (Play) Services that misbehave similarly. Google Contacts is particularly notorious for this.

    Here's something I found works for Google Contacts running amok: Google services draining battery

    Maybe there's a similar procedure for Exchange Services?

    Of course: Never underestimate Microsoft's ability to Screw Things Up. It could be something on the Exchange Server side. (I had brief, very brief, thankfully, experience with an Exchange Server, years ago. All I can say is: *yuck*!)
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  
    DJJeffT's Avatar

    Posts
    57 Posts
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts

    Default Re: Exchange Services killing my battery...HELP!

    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    perhaps it's a settings on the server side? do you have an IT guy that's out to get you?
    Funny. I don't *think* so.

    The weird thing is that when I deleted and added the account last time it worked well for 3 days, the started burning battery and data. If someone was out to get me it would have been from the start, right? I'm not an IT guy, I am dangerous enough to mess with my phone, but don't know how exchange works on the back end.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Exchange Services killing my battery...HELP!

    Quote Originally Posted by DJJeffT View Post
    The weird thing is that when I deleted and added the account last time it worked well for 3 days, the started burning battery and data.
    Same symptoms as what happens when Google (Play) Services goes all wonky and starts sucking down battery. It's theorized it happens because of cache data corruption, which causes one of the services to try endlessly to sync. That's why procedures like the one I detailed "fixes" the problem: It clears the cached data out entirely. Or so the theory goes.

    It does seem to work for that. Last week, sometime, I had Google Services burning through battery, all-of-a-sudden. I executed that procedure and haven't had the problem since.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Exchange Services killing my battery...HELP!

    Quote Originally Posted by DJJeffT View Post
    Funny. I don't *think* so.

    The weird thing is that when I deleted and added the account last time it worked well for 3 days, the started burning battery and data. If someone was out to get me it would have been from the start, right? I'm not an IT guy, I am dangerous enough to mess with my phone, but don't know how exchange works on the back end.
    it sounds like it is constantly downloading and churning your Exchange data - old mail, contacts, calendar, etc.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  
    DJJeffT's Avatar

    Posts
    57 Posts
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts

    Default Re: Exchange Services killing my battery...HELP!

    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    it sounds like it is constantly downloading and churning your Exchange data - old mail, contacts, calendar, etc.
    Yes. When I went to delete the account it was continuously syncing.

    Wondering if there is a way yo reset that. In tried to move it to 5 minutes then back to push, but that didn't do it.

    Posted via Android Central App
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  
    DJJeffT's Avatar

    Posts
    57 Posts
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts

    Default Re: Exchange Services killing my battery...HELP!

    It happened again.

    Sitting at my desk at work and I went to check a text and my phone was burning up. 119 degrees according to Gsam Battery.

    Same deal as last week. Exchange services is endlessly attempting to sync email. Over and over and over again.

    I reviewed what OldStonedFace posted, but mine was not related to contacts, just email. I have gone into Accounts>> Corporate>> and turned off email sync, but there has to be a better 'fix' here. Is this a KitKat thing, or a device thing? I am 13 days in on my custom Moto X. Help!
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Exchange Services killing my battery...HELP!

    Quote Originally Posted by DJJeffT View Post
    Same deal as last week. Exchange services is endlessly attempting to sync email. Over and over and over again.

    I reviewed what OldStonedFace posted, but mine was not related to contacts, just email.
    And I wrote: "Maybe there's a similar procedure for Exchange Services?"

    E.g.: Look in "Apps -> All" for "Exchange" and "Exchange Storage" to stop and clear, and look in "Accounts & Sync" for an Exchange sync to restart. Caveat lector: I have no idea if such things exist, much less if they're safe to do!

    I have no way of knowing. I, thankfully, have not had to deal with MS Exchange braindeadness. (Well, except once, some... fifteen years ago or so. That was More Than Enough.)

    Good luck. Broken sync services sucking down the battery is exceedingly annoying, I know.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  
    DJJeffT's Avatar

    Posts
    57 Posts
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts

    Default Re: Exchange Services killing my battery...HELP!

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Stoneface View Post
    And I wrote: "Maybe there's a similar procedure for Exchange Services?"

    E.g.: Look in "Apps -> All" for "Exchange" and "Exchange Storage" to stop and clear, and look in "Accounts & Sync" for an Exchange sync to restart. Caveat lector: I have no idea if such things exist, much less if they're safe to do!

    I have no way of knowing. I, thankfully, have not had to deal with MS Exchange braindeadness. (Well, except once, some... fifteen years ago or so. That was More Than Enough.)

    Good luck. Broken sync services sucking down the battery is exceedingly annoying, I know.
    I appreciate the reply. There does not seem to be an Exchange Storage 'app'. just Services. Next time it happens - should be next Tuesday by my count...ha - I will try to delete the cache in Exchange services, but I think I tried that and it didnt.

    I am exploring alternatives to using Exchange Services for my email until we get a new version of KitKat that addresses these issues.. Mail Wise, K9 and RoadSync have been suggested.
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Exchange Services killing my battery...HELP!

    Well, my guess would be, and it's just a guess, mind you:
    1. Force-stop Exchange Services
    2. Clear Data
    3. Turn off Exchange Sync
    4. Reboot device
    5. Turn on Exchange Sync

    That seems like it would be roughly equivalent to what I have to do to restore Contacts' sync sanity.

    But, again: Just a guess.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Exchange Services killing my battery...HELP!

    I have been having syncing issues w/ my Exchange email ever since upgrading the phone to 4.4. The account is configured to sync using Push and it only syncs the most recent 3 days of email. When I open the email program, it isn't getting the latest emails (it is a few hours behind). I then go to Settings > Corporate > Exchange account name > The calendar is up to date but the email is sitting there with the spinning wheel. If I cancel the sync then restart it a few times, it eventually successfully syncs again. It then stays up to date for a few hours then gets stuck syncing again.

    I have completely removed the exchange account, cleared the cache on the "Email" AND "Exchange Services" apps then re-added the Exchange account. That helped for a few days then it started happening again. I will try that one more time but also reboot the phone before re-adding the Exchange account. If that doesn't help, then there has to be some bug in Kit Kat that is causing this behavior. The email was rock solid while on 4.2.2.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Exchange Services killing my battery...HELP!

    Quote Originally Posted by efmw113 View Post
    I have been having syncing issues w/ my Exchange email ever since upgrading the phone to 4.4. The account is configured to sync using Push and it only syncs the most recent 3 days of email. When I open the email program, it isn't getting the latest emails (it is a few hours behind). I then go to Settings > Corporate > Exchange account name > The calendar is up to date but the email is sitting there with the spinning wheel. If I cancel the sync then restart it a few times, it eventually successfully syncs again. It then stays up to date for a few hours then gets stuck syncing again.

    I have completely removed the exchange account, cleared the cache on the "Email" AND "Exchange Services" apps then re-added the Exchange account. That helped for a few days then it started happening again. I will try that one more time but also reboot the phone before re-adding the Exchange account. If that doesn't help, then there has to be some bug in Kit Kat that is causing this behavior. The email was rock solid while on 4.2.2.
    This is has been reported by many users of Kit Kat that I have read about over the internet. Some users reported the problem solved with the 4.4.1 update while others report it not resolved until 4.4.2, those updates only apply to the Nexus devices while the Moto X is currently still on 4.4. There seems to be no uniformly consistent fix or workaround that I have read about and it seems to strike at random, not affecting everyone that uses Exchange. I worried about this when I got my new Moto X recently and updated to 4.4. Although, knock on wood, I have not experienced any issues so far. I rely on Exchange email for work and so far it has been working fine. I don't know if it matters but my employer is on Exchange 2010.

    The email app "Touchdown" has been widely recommended as an alternative and it gets very positive reviews by users. It is reported that these sync issues caused by Kit Kat do not affect this app. It is a bit pricey ($20) though you can get a free thirty day trial to try it out. You may give that a shot in the interim and hope Motorola pushes out the more recent Kit Kat updates before the 30 day trial runs out. That's my plan if the bug hits me.
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Exchange Services killing my battery...HELP!

    Quote Originally Posted by mhunter6378 View Post
    This is has been reported by many users of Kit Kat that I have read about over the internet. Some users reported the problem solved with the 4.4.1 update while others report it not resolved until 4.4.2, those updates only apply to the Nexus devices while the Moto X is currently still on 4.4. There seems to be no uniformly consistent fix or workaround that I have read about and it seems to strike at random, not affecting everyone that uses Exchange. I worried about this when I got my new Moto X recently and updated to 4.4. Although, knock on wood, I have not experienced any issues so far. I rely on Exchange email for work and so far it has been working fine. I don't know if it matters but my employer is on Exchange 2010.

    The email app "Touchdown" has been widely recommended as an alternative and it gets very positive reviews by users. It is reported that these sync issues caused by Kit Kat do not affect this app. It is a bit pricey ($20) though you can get a free thirty day trial to try it out. You may give that a shot in the interim and hope Motorola pushes out the more recent Kit Kat updates before the 30 day trial runs out. That's my plan if the bug hits me.
    I've been hearing that Google is planning on moving their email client to the Play Store (just like the calendar) so that they can update it easier. Hopefully that is sooner rather than later.

    Has anyone heard of Motorola pushing the 4.2.2 update to the MotoX?
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  
    DJJeffT's Avatar

    Posts
    57 Posts
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts

    Default Re: Exchange Services killing my battery...HELP!

    Well, like clockwork, it happened again. Exchange in a non stop sync. I did try Old Stoneface's advice from above, but it didnt work. Had to remove my account and then add it back in again. That appears to be the only way for now. UGH.
  24. #24  
    Derek1267's Avatar

    Posts
    60 Posts
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts

    Default Re: Exchange Services killing my battery...HELP!

    My dads Moto X had the same issue since he uses work email. What I did to fix the problem was to set sync frequency to check for mail every 15 minutes. Hopefully the next update they will fix this problem but follow what I did and hopefully it will work.
    Moto X, Nexus 7 (2012)
  25. #25  
    Clocks's Avatar

    Posts
    263 Posts
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts

    Default Re: Exchange Services killing my battery...HELP!

    Quote Originally Posted by Derek1267 View Post
    My dads Moto X had the same issue since he uses work email. What I did to fix the problem was to set sync frequency to check for mail every 15 minutes. Hopefully the next update they will fix this problem but follow what I did and hopefully it will work.
    That won't fix the issue.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. KitKat & Battery Life
    By LinuxWeather in forum Motorola Droid MAXX
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 01-14-2014, 03:27 PM
  2. How to make my phone a real 'smart' phone
    By Manoj Bhaskaran in forum Google Nexus 4
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-24-2013, 01:48 PM
  3. Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini - GUYS HELP! My mp3s are weird
    By ideaman924 in forum Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-23-2013, 11:42 PM
  4. Since the 4.3 update I cannot connect to my wifi please help!!!!
    By andy a in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-23-2013, 08:05 PM
  5. Help wanted. 4.3 update from Verizon goes bad.
    By Abe_09 in forum Android 4.1 / 4.2 / 4.3 Jelly Bean
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-21-2013, 10:38 AM

Posting Permissions

B