Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    595 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Unhappy Two Moto X's, Different Results

I've had a saga of issues with my first Moto X - reception, speaker, microphone, etc.

I ordered a replacement and just received it yesterday. I have since set it up to the exact specifications of the first Moto X I received - which is still in my possession - and I'm now having other issues with the 2nd phone. Both have the KitKat update. Both have the same build (13.11.3Q2.X-69-3-8), and everything is set up the same.

Here are the problems:

1. Phone #2: the reception - even on Wifi - is jerky. Like it's struggling to keep a steady stream.
    2. Phone #2 is slower to boot.
    3. Phone #2 is slower on speed/reception
    4. Phone #2 is missing a system file? (See below for explanation)

I've set the phones side-by-side and turned them both off, then turn them on simultaneously. The 2nd phone takes 15 seconds longer to fully boot. But that's not all.

I've run a speed test on wifi on both, standing right next to my home router, and turning off mobile data to make sure it doesn't interfere with the testing. Repeatedly, the replacement phone (phone #2), comes out behind the 1st phone (the one I want to return), the ping is higher, and the speed is jerky. What I mean by "jerky" is that when the 1st phone runs a speed test, it's a smooth sweep with the speed test needle - and it's steady, getting a good 28-32Mbps down (I have 35Mbps via cable internet). The 2nd (replacement phone) gets an inconsistent 19-26Mbps down, and the pings is always higher, sometimes by 20-30 points. I also noticed this on pulling down emails: On Mail Droid, on both, the 1st phone pulls it down, no problem. The 2nd, replacement phone freezes and gives me the message "cannot connect to server" and I have to hit refresh too many times for it to work. I already hard reset both phones.

Finally, my 1st phone has something under the Battery option that is missing on the 2nd (replacement) phone: it's the Android KitKat logo, with "com.android.systemui" next to it. This can't be found anywhere on the 2nd phone. I'm attaching photos of both the speed test and the missing systemui. See photos below.

And, let me tell you, the 2nd phone is not that much better on speaker/audio. People still claim to have a harder time hearing me, and when I record my own voice on my voice mail greeting, it's barely audible - even though I'm speaking rather loudly.

Thoughts?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Two Moto X's, Different Results-speed.jpg   Two Moto X's, Different Results-systemui.jpg  
    Thanked by:
    radgatt and Bnjf like this.

Global Posts
    5,581 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Default Re: Two Moto X's, Different Results

Quote Originally Posted by HollyDolly View Post
    I've had a saga of issues with my first Moto X - reception, speaker, microphone, etc.

I ordered a replacement and just received it yesterday. I have since set it up to the exact specifications of the first Moto X I received - which is still in my possession - and I'm now having other issues with the 2nd phone. Both have the KitKat update. Both have the same build (13.11.3Q2.X-69-3-8), and everything is set up the same.

Here are the problems:

1. Phone #2: the reception - even on Wifi - is jerky. Like it's struggling to keep a steady stream.

I've set the phones side-by-side and turned them both off, then turn them on simultaneously. The 2nd phone takes 15 seconds longer to fully boot. But that's not all.

I've run a speed test on wifi on both, standing right next to my home router, and turning off mobile data to make sure it doesn't interfere with the testing. Repeatedly, the replacement phone (phone #2), comes out behind the 1st phone (the one I want to return), the ping is higher, and the speed is jerky. What I mean by "jerky" is that when the 1st phone runs a speed test, it's a smooth sweep with the speed test needle - and it's steady, getting a good 28-32Mbps down (I have 35Mbps via cable internet). The 2nd (replacement phone) gets an inconsistent 19-26Mbps down, and the pings is always higher, sometimes by 20-30 points. I also noticed this on pulling down emails: On Mail Droid, on both, the 1st phone pulls it down, no problem. The 2nd, replacement phone freezes and gives me the message "cannot connect to server" and I have to hit refresh too many times for it to work. I already hard reset both phones.

Finally, my 1st phone has something under the Battery option that is missing on the 2nd (replacement) phone: it's the Android KitKat logo, with "com.android.systemui" next to it. This can't be found anywhere on the 2nd phone. I'm attaching photos of both the speed test and the missing systemui. See photos below.

And, let me tell you, the 2nd phone is not that much better on speaker/audio. People still claim to have a harder time hearing me, and when I record my own voice on my voice mail greeting, it's barely audible - even though I'm speaking rather loudly.

Thoughts?
    Looks like phone #2 is defective. The "com.android.systemui" isn't anything to be concerned with, sometimes it will show. Other times it won't, depends on what you do with the phone

Posted via Android Central App
    Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    595 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Looks like phone #2 is defective. The "com.android.systemui" isn't anything to be concerned with, sometimes it will show. Other times it won't, depends on what you do with the phone

Can you expand on this "defective" comment? I was told the first one is defective, which is why I ordered phone #2. How many defective devices do they mail out?

Try a factory reset and see if the problems persists

I've had a handful of Moto Xs because of issues like these and then some. Just keep asking for replacements until you get one that works for you. The one I have now is flawless (as far as I can tell).
    What I had...
    What I have...
    Ebony/Black/Black Moto X
    Nexus 7 2013
    iPhone 5c

X X X
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    595 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by globster2000 View Post
    Try a factory reset and see if the problems persists

I did. I wrote that in bold.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by svenEDGE View Post
    I've had a handful of Moto Xs because of issues like these and then some. Just keep asking for replacements until you get one that works for you. The one I have now is flawless (as far as I can tell).
    Did you, really? Did you have to pay for a replacement every time? Or send it back, then get the next one? How long did it take you to get an actual working one?

This is a nightmare...

I did. I wrote that in bold.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you, really? Did you have to pay for a replacement every time? Or send it back, then get the next one? How long did it take you to get an actual working one?

This is a nightmare...
    Idk who your carrier is but with Verizon I just call them and tell them I have an issue. If its a hardware issue or a software issue that doesn't get fixed after a hard reset, they send me a replacement the next day with a pre-paid return label for me to send the defective phone back to them. Its a pretty hassle free process.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
    What I had...
    What I have...
    Ebony/Black/Black Moto X
    Nexus 7 2013
    iPhone 5c

X X X
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    595 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Idk who your carrier is but with Verizon I just call them and tell them I have an issue. If its a hardware issue or a software issue that doesn't get fixed after a hard reset, they send me a replacement the next day with a pre-paid return label for me to send the defective phone back to them. Its a pretty hassle free process.

It's Sprint, but this is a Motomaker designed phone, so they couldn't send me one, even if they wanted to.

Global Posts
    5,581 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Can you expand on this "defective" comment? I was told the first one is defective, which is why I ordered phone #2. How many defective devices do they mail out?
    At the beginning of your 1st comment you stated phone #2 had issues with the WiFi, speed and reception issues...that's definitely not something normal with a brand new phone. Definitely seems like a lemon to me

10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Global Posts
    595 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

At the beginning of your 1st comment you stated phone #2 had issues with the WiFi, speed and reception issues...that's definitely not something normal with a brand new phone. Definitely seems like a lemon to me

I had those issues with Phone #1. And Phone #2 is not doing much better - in fact, it's doing worse. How many lemons can there be?

Global Posts
    5,581 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

I had those issues with Phone #1. And Phone #2 is not doing much better - in fact, it's doing worse. How many lemons can there be?
    Sounds like you just got unlucky, Moto should replace it if you give them a call.

It's Sprint, but this is a Motomaker designed phone, so they couldn't send me one, even if they wanted to.
    Have you asked sprint? I asked Verizon prior to buying my moto maker and they said they would replace it the same way they would with a regular one.

What I had...
    What I have...
    Ebony/Black/Black Moto X
    Nexus 7 2013
    iPhone 5c

X X X
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Global Posts
    595 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Sounds like you just got unlucky, Moto should replace it if you give them a call.

If I wait another 10 days, yea. I hate this...

- - - Updated - - -

Have you asked sprint? I asked Verizon prior to buying my moto maker and they said they would replace it the same way they would with a regular one.

They can't, because they don't carry the 32GB Moto X - only the 16 GB. So it's back to the nightmare with Motorola I go.

Global Posts
    5,581 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

If I wait another 10 days, yea. I hate this...

- - - Updated - - -

They can't, because they don't carry the 32GB Moto X - only the 16 GB. So it's back to the nightmare with Motorola I go.
    Darn :\
    Hopefully the next one works fine. It'll be worth it though, the Moto X is an amazing phone

Thanked by:
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Global Posts
    595 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Darn :\
    Hopefully the next one works fine. It'll be worth it though, the Moto X is an amazing phone

I'm not sure how it's amazing, seeing as it's one faulty phone after another. It can't both be the built - they were made weeks apart. I'm not sure if I even want this phone anymore. What a hassle...!

Global Posts
    5,581 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

I'm not sure how it's amazing, seeing as it's one faulty phone after another. It can't both be the built - they were made weeks apart. I'm not sure if I even want this phone anymore. What a hassle...!
    It's amazing if you get one without issues. You got unlucky, that doesn't mean all phones are going to be lemons.

17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Global Posts
    595 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

It's amazing if you get one without issues. You got unlucky, that doesn't mean all phones are going to be lemons.

I hear you, but unlucky twice?

Global Posts
    5,581 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

I hear you, but unlucky twice?
    Happens. Some people here have had to return 3+ phones because the home button on the Note 3 was loose.

Thanked by:
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Global Posts
    595 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Happens. Some people here have had to return 3+ phones because the home button on the Note 3 was loose.
    Thanks. I'll see what I can do with this situation tomorrow.

Thanks. I'll see what I can do with this situation tomorrow.
    I would get out of these forums and start communicating with Motorola engineers on Google +. There are a slew of them there..

I found a bug in the Bluetooth stack in the Qualcomm chip and 48hrs later Motorola sent a engineer to my house with a stack of special phones that allowed them to run logs and debugs to fix the software issue. Motorola is dedicated to making their business a success. Calling their care is not the way to go. Get on G+ & start talking to people that can get you a phone that works.

ClutchX_LA likes this.

This phone is absolutely worth getting one that works. I have never been so happy with a phone.

What I had...
    What I have...
    Ebony/Black/Black Moto X
    Nexus 7 2013
    iPhone 5c

X X X
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Global Posts
    595 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by tonymhoffman View Post
    I would get out of these forums and start communicating with Motorola engineers on Google +. There are a slew of them there..

I found a bug in the Bluetooth stack in the Qualcomm chip and 48hrs later Motorola sent a engineer to my house with a stack of special phones that allowed them to run logs and debugs to fix the software issue. Motorola is dedicated to making their business a success. Calling their care is not the way to go. Get on G+ & start talking to people that can get you a phone that works.

I already posted a message to Punit Soni on Google+ and he said Matt Jones would help me. I haven't heard from anyone at all since. Then I wrote the supervisor who was finally able to help me get my phone (the replacement phone that Motorola was 'holding' for absolutely no reason) and instead of her calling back, someone from the Help Desk contacted me to do some "technical support" things. He wanted remote access to my phone to check settings, except...he couldn't even hear me himself speaking on the phone because the microphone on this replacement is so crappy. So he's like, "I'll have corporate call you" and I'm like, "Is that Franco? Because he was useless in even getting my phone, so NO". So he's like, okay, sorry...good luck.

So I'm sitting here with no properly working phone, no one is helping me get a replacement, and I'm not sure what to do anymore??

Can someone provide me a link to the proper Google+ page I need to go to get actual help?

ETA: I've now been contacted by Matt Jones from Motorla (per Punit Soni) and we've been emailing about possible trouble-shooting issues, none of which so far match my phone scenario.

I'd almost give up on the phone and think, maybe it's just not going to work for me reception-wise, but that shouldn't affect how I sound on the microphone to others (and recording my own voice), now should it?
    Last edited by HollyDolly; 12-23-2013 at 12:56 PM.

Global Posts
    353 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tonymhoffman View Post
    I found a bug in the Bluetooth stack in the Qualcomm chip and 48hrs later Motorola sent a engineer to my house with a stack of special phones that allowed them to run logs and debugs to fix the software issue.
    WOW! That's amazing.

Btw, what was wrong with your bluetooth?

Here are the problems:

Thoughts?
    It is completely possible to get 2 or more defective units in a row regardless of the manufacturer. These companies mass produce these devices with little to no quality control. I had 3 different Moto X's and the battery life was quite a bit worse on 2 of the 3(same locations, same use, same setup). It sounds like you have been through the ringer by Motorola. If they can't take care of you soon try a different device.
    Nexus 5-Black
    Rooted 4.4.2
    TWRP
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

Global Posts
    595 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by benhmadison View Post
    It is completely possible to get 2 or more defective units in a row regardless of the manufacturer. These companies mass produce these devices with little to no quality control. I had 3 different Moto X's and the battery life was quite a bit worse on 2 of the 3(same locations, same use, same setup). It sounds like you have been through the ringer by Motorola. If they can't take care of you soon try a different device.
    Thanks for saying so. I wrote an extensive email to the Motorola person I was put in touch with and let him know that my issue is not an isolated incident. I've just received my Fedex label. I'm instructed to ship both lemons back - as soon as they get it (on the 26th), they'll process it, then send me another replacement code so I can start the whole process all over again.

Can I tell you - I'm really tired of setting up my phone at this point. I hope the next phone works, but looks like I won't be getting my hands on it until 2014...
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast