Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #26  

Default Re: Bamboo Moto X Impressions

Quote Originally Posted by Anna Stuever View Post
    Have you received your replacement phone yet? I'm curious if it had the same issues as your first. I've been waiting for the rosewood back to be released but am starting to wonder how much longer that wait will be. I may just bite the bullet and get a phone with the bamboo back.
    No! Extremely frustrating return process. Motorolla received the unit on January 3, but they take 5-10 days to process the return. So worst case, it's processed on the 13th right? No.

Verizon then has to process the return to refund my "upgrade". They said I had to wait until next billing cycle to get my "upgrade" reinstated. So, long and short of it is I won't get the chance to order the phone until January 23rd, and then I will have to wait the five days or longer to get the phone. This time next month, maybe I'll have it! I will post my impressions of course.

EDIT: If in a month's time a new Moto surfaces I'll be in a bit of a pickle. Since I already have the Moto X DODOCase I will probably still get it, but I will be frustrated if I know a new model is on the way in a month or two.
    Thanked by:

Take it to Facebook and google plus. I sent back a custom mx 2 days ago and i now have my replacement code in my email now.

Posted via Android Central App

Were you not able to do an advanced replacement?

I did that with mine and I had a new phone in 48hrs and shipped the bad one back after receiving my new one.

Quote Originally Posted by tbtregenza View Post
    EDIT: If in a month's time a new Moto surfaces I'll be in a bit of a pickle. Since I already have the Moto X DODOCase I will probably still get it, but I will be frustrated if I know a new model is on the way in a month or two.
    Count on a new Moto X in august.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #30  

Quote Originally Posted by tonymhoffman View Post
    Were you not able to do an advanced replacement?

I did that with mine and I had a new phone in 48hrs and shipped the bad one back after receiving my new one.

Unfortunately they processed it as a "return" instead of a "replacement". They said that was the only option with "customized" phones from Motomaker. I dunno - I think I got screwed. Because I live chat'd with a Moto rep a few days later asking how long it'd be and they said it would have been faster if I had done an exchange.

Unfortunately they processed it as a "return" instead of a "replacement". They said that was the only option with "customized" phones from Motomaker. I dunno - I think I got screwed. Because I live chat'd with a Moto rep a few days later asking how long it'd be and they said it would have been faster if I had done an exchange.

Have you gotten on G+ and reached out to Punit Soni or Matt Jones? I would also encourage you if you have not to start a thread on Motorola support forums.

I've heard a lot of painful noise with returns and the amount of time it takes to get money back. Motorola needs to get their customer service on USA soil and quick. These types of things are communication breakdowns within their tech support training, telling you that return is only option. Get some people in US soil working on this for you, don't rely on their phone support (assuming you haven't done this yet)

My moto X was built from moto maker. Advanced RMA allows you to get a new phone made via coupon code they email you and a RMA shipping label to send the defective phone back.

Good luck!

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:

Dupe

Global Posts
    256 Global Posts

If they ever do a cherrywood, that should be black bevel and front.

asdrew likes this.

Global Posts
    535 Global Posts

The first pic looks like the siding is warped or something. Strange

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk 2
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #35  

Quote Originally Posted by imurrx View Post
    If they ever do a cherrywood, that should be black bevel and front.

Since I am still waiting for my refund to process through, I'm really hoping that a Rosewood option pops up in the next couple weeks. That one has only been shown with the black bezel. They have been incredibly quiet about it though...

Hey tbtregenza (or anyone else that has been hands-on worth the bamboo back moto x) are you able to comment on the texture of the wood back compared to the smooth finish (light colors) and soft touch finish (dark colors)? The smooth finish is too smooth for my personal preference, I love the grip that the soft touch gives but I also love the look of the bamboo... so I'm not sure which way to go. I posted this question in another thread hoping someone can weigh in. Thanks!

Global Posts
    256 Global Posts

Since I am still waiting for my refund to process through, I'm really hoping that a Rosewood option pops up in the next couple weeks. That one has only been shown with the black bezel. They have been incredibly quiet about it though...
    On the Moto maker site it's showing now an Ebony and Walnut finish wooden backs. I do like your Rosewood. I know we'll never see wormed chestnut. I would love to see a satin finished Alder wood (like my bass guitar).
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #38  

Update. Still waiting on phone. I am literally in the Verizon store right now. I've tried chatting with Moto tech support, Verizon tech support, tried calling both to get them on a conference call.

Current status is Verizon tells me I placed an order through Best Buy and use my upgrade credit there. I had to explain to them that MotoMaker orders are fulfilled through Best Buy. It's just freaking amazing how nobody knows what's going on at either of these companies right now. They blame Moto, Moto blames Verizon.

Moral of the story? Receiving a defective unit has caused me a two month fiasco.

Bright side. When this is resolved, I will be able to buy the Walnut or Ebony which I like better than Bamboo to begin with.

Update. Still waiting on phone. I am literally in the Verizon store right now. I've tried chatting with Moto tech support, Verizon tech support, tried calling both to get them on a conference call.

Current status is Verizon tells me I placed an order through Best Buy and use my upgrade credit there. I had to explain to them that MotoMaker orders are fulfilled through Best Buy. It's just freaking amazing how nobody knows what's going on at either of these companies right now. They blame Moto, Moto blames Verizon.

Moral of the story? Receiving a defective unit has caused me a two month fiasco.

Bright side. When this is resolved, I will be able to buy the Walnut or Ebony which I like better than Bamboo to begin with.
    Agreed. Ebony is the coolest one. The bamboo one looks terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by thegrants82 View Post
    Agreed. Ebony is the coolest one. The bamboo one looks terrible.
    I have the bamboo and it grows on you.
    Just so you know the bamboo back is the only one which is not a imitation exotic.
    Just wood [grass really], the others are some wood that is finished to look like ebony or teak or walnut.
    They might even be bamboo underneath, don't really know that.
    With the bamboo being natural it isn't symmetrical in it's finish.
    slight imperfections, think it's cool actually.
    This is my second one upgraded from the 16Gb to 32Gb, unlocked version.
    bottom line: i'd recommend the bamboo.
    The others look nice. was thinking about trading this one in but in the end went with the all natural wood [grass].
    Good Luck with your odyssey.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #41  

Quote Originally Posted by oldDummy View Post
    I have the bamboo and it grows on you.
    Just so you know the bamboo back is the only one which is not a imitation exotic.
    Just wood [grass really], the others are some wood that is finished to look like ebony or teak or walnut.
    They might even be bamboo underneath, don't really know that.
    With the bamboo being natural it isn't symmetrical in it's finish.
    slight imperfections, think it's cool actually.
    This is my second one upgraded from the 16Gb to 32Gb, unlocked version.
    bottom line: i'd recommend the bamboo.
    The others look nice. was thinking about trading this one in but in the end went with the all natural wood [grass].
    Good Luck with your odyssey.
    If that's true than how is it that no wood backs are the same? If that were the case wouldn't they just have a single finish, or maybe a few pre-programmed finishes, that they "wood" apply to the ebony and teak and walnut?

Global Posts
    700 Global Posts
    ROM
    MIUI

If that's true than how is it that no wood backs are the same? If that were the case wouldn't they just have a single finish, or maybe a few pre-programmed finishes, that they "wood" apply to the ebony and teak and walnut?
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #43  

Quote Originally Posted by JungleLarry View Post
    It's not that i didn't believe you, just that I didn't understand how each could be unique. I was thinking a wood laminate - now I get it. It's basically a "stained" wood. I bet they are all actually bamboo, as you suggested. They all seem to have very vertical grain, which is completely different to the versions shown initially that had knots and patterns in them (thinking mostly Rosewood - which turned into what we now have as "Walnut").

Its the coolest design innovation since iPhone 4. Love what Motorola is doing here.

Sent from my HTC One

It's not that i didn't believe you, just that I didn't understand how each could be unique. I was thinking a wood laminate - now I get it. It's basically a "stained" wood. I bet they are all actually bamboo, as you suggested. They all seem to have very vertical grain, which is completely different to the versions shown initially that had knots and patterns in them (thinking mostly Rosewood - which turned into what we now have as "Walnut").
    Think the walnut is sharp looking. ..but their all nice.
    Tough to choose.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #46  

Well the Walnut has finally come. Unfortunately, while the finish is much better than the Bamboo, you can see the plastic backing through gaps in the painted-on "wood finish". I'm so tired of dealing with this after nearly 2 months that I think I may just keep it.

Bamboo Moto X Impressions-2014-01-31-13.53.34.jpg
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12